It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows Global Warming Being Supercharged By Methane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Scientists are saying that global warming is causing Siberian lakes to bubble methane, which is a greenhouse gas. Because the methane warms the planet, the more methane that bubbles into the atmosphere the warmer the planet gets the faster the methane from the Russian lakes bubbles to the surface. The Methane is produced from bacteria after they eat the rotting organic matter and then pass the methane. There is a melting permafrost lair that is being blamed for an increase in the lake size by 14 percent. The scientists add, "it's a time bomb."

news.nationalgeographic.com
Methane bubbles have long been known to rise from the depths of Siberian lakes. But the bubbles were intermittent and difficult to measure.

Recently, though, an international team of U.S. and Russian scientists realized that the best time to look for bubbles was in winter. In the cold season researchers can walk across the frozen lakes, peering at bubbles trapped in the ice.

What they found is that lakebed emissions are large enough that taking them into account increases the total estimated level of Arctic emissions by 10 to 63 percent. The scientists report their findings in tomorrow's issue of the journal Nature.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is certainly not good news. This does seem to be further evidence of global warming. I know there are those of you who think that this is something that is not happening. Or who think this is all some sort of conspiracy for reasons that I do not know. However this article does go on say that methane is a more lethal green house gas then carbon dioxide. I also will expect some people to say that this is all part of a natural climate change that does happen from time to time. And yes climate changes have happened in the past, but I would ask you to ponder, that those claimant changes are also a possible cause of mass extinction's that have also happened. So what do you think will still be hear when this climate change reaches its climax.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
www.thestandard.com.hk
english.pravda.ru

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Can hurricanes help us with global warming?
Why are they showing an end of the world special on ABC right now?
The Whole Solar System is Undergoing Global Warming.

color=Navy]mod edit, spelling/grammar

[edit on 6-9-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Great find.

So global warming is an escalating cascade, huh?

Whooda think it?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
Great find.

So global warming is an escalating cascade, huh?

Whooda think it?

wow thats high praise, thanks Soficrow!
Yes whooda think it. I also am wondering how the methane reacts with everything else in the atmospher, and with Siberia thawing, and all this organice materal rotting, perhaps Siberia will beacome a farming community?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I read this the other day and it is really scary. And there are still ideological fools out there who are trying to blame global warming on some sort of intersteller cloud, as if an intersteller cloud would cause an increase in CO2, the major greenhouse gas. Next thing you will be hearing is that Bush actually won, twice. ROFLMAO

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I don't think most people understand just how much naturally occurring methane is adding to the problem. We've got several areas in the ocean that methane is bubbling to the surface (in fact, this is one of the scientific explanations for what could possibly be happening in the Bermuda Triangle - large concentration of released methane at the surface causing stupendously decreased buoyancy and voila, your boat sinks). With methane being 20 times stronger than CO2 in its GHG effects - it's definitely something that should be worrisome to us. It's part of the natural processes that combine with the manmade processes that are causing the GW effects to continue on. Problem is, we can't really get a good handle yet (and in most cases aren't trying to) on what WE'RE doing let alone mother nature. In the long haul, it is my personal opinion we should never try to mess with Mother Nature...lol (i'm showing my age). We haven't got a Gump's guess at what the big picture is on Mother Nature how her natural processes work out in the long haul. So as far as naturally occurring things - I opt to leave them alone. We need to just clean up our own act.

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Valhall]

[edit on 9-7-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The current situation needs to be put into context.

Katey Walker from the University of Alaska at Fairbanks and her colleagues calculate that across the region, thaw lakes lakes emit 3.8 teragrams (Tg, million million grams) per year.

The contribution of these lakes is small compared to the IPCC estimate of total global methane production, 600 Tg per year.

More than half of this total comes from human activities, notably farming.

BBC News Story

The danger comes in the future, as the melting increases and more and more methane is released causing more warming and then more releases.....

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Vahala,
I defently do like the idea of leveing mother nature alone. I just dont know if that will help us survive in the long run. We had to invent the nitrigen fertilizers to support the population we have, yes I know so that means we are overpopulated. But since I do not advocate destroying a large portion of the population I hope we can continue to use the land with out destroying it.

top topics

join