It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush to unveil plan for Gitmo trials

page: 1

join
share:
Ox

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The Bush Administration is trying to "adopt" new laws that would allow the prosecution of "Enemy combatants" held at Gitmo in front of Military Tribunals

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is expected to unveil a new plan Wednesday to change the law so that "unlawful combatants" held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, can be tried for crimes before military tribunals.

The Supreme Court ruled on June 29 that the administration's plan to hold criminal trials before military tribunals for some of the detainees violates U.S. and international law. In response, the White House approached Congress about adopting new laws that would allow for such prosecutions. But lawmakers, including top Republicans, insisted that the tribunals include more protections for detainees.

The administration has insisted that "enemy combatants" must not be granted certain legal rights that would expose classified information or hinder interrogations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So AGAIN, the Law doesnt suit the President so he is simply going to change it, and who will stand in his way? Probably no one, Why? He'll start using big words like "Terrorism" and "Radical Islamic Terrorists" and "Patriotism" and "Freedom".

I like the part in the story where it states that;
"It's unclear whether or not the new rules would apply only to detainees held by the military or also those in CIA custody, though the CIA has never acknowledged that it holds any members of al-Qaida. However, senior administration officials and intelligence lawyers had held extensive meetings since the court's decision to determine how it applies to all detainees, including those considered the most dangerous followers of Osama Bin Laden"

It seems like the CIA doesnt acknowledge anything, they answer to no one, which I find hard to believe seeing as they're the biggest "Terrorist Cell" in the world.. uhh I mean intelligence agency in the world..

It bothers me a little that no one seems to step forward to try to stop the President from just.... changing things he doesnt like.. Where can this go from here? Can the law be changed to target American Citizens? Those who disagree with the Bush Administration policies?

Something else that bothers me about this story is this quote "Military lawyers have urged a solution patterned on the existing system of military courts martial. But Attorney General Alberto Gonzales has objected to rules that would give terror suspects the right to remain silent or challenge hearsay evidence."
So... They cant have any "Rights" to remain silent? they Must answer? and they may not challenge "hearsay evidence" ... So the government can conjure any story it likes and pins it to these people without any IRON CLAD evidence and they are found fuilty.. There is almost NO defence against this type of prosecution

[edit on 6-9-2006 by Ox]

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I would just like to point out how blatantly against the law all this is..
The Government can make up any hearsay evidence they like and pin it on these people without cause.. And find them guilty.. Taking away the right to remain silent and the right to challenge hearsay evidence gives these people ZERO defense in their cases..

This is an abomination.. But should we expect anything less from the President?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This isn't about changing any laws. If the president want'ed to beat the snot out of ferners, he wouldn't be announcing that he has them and set up a legal system to deal with them. Having congress authorize a system to prosecute non-soldier combatants captured outside the US is precisely what the Supreme Court ordered the administration to do.

Ox

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Now Im sure most of you are going to disgree on this post.. But I believe that these prisoners have right to fair trial.. Removing their right to remain silent and their right to challenge hearsay evidence gives these people ZERO chance at a defense... I dont see the point in that.. They've only been at Gitmo for 5 years without charges filed.. Why the action now?

new topics

top topics

join