It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel's first ever UN Resolution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Israel is to introduce a resolution to the United Nations General Assembly for the first time ever.

The resolution - calling for Israeli children to be protected from violence by Palestinians - is Israel's way of testing the waters at the UN.

Interesting and smart piece of political manouvreing by the Israeilis in my opinion. It's going to be very hard to ignore this if the corresponding Egyptian Resolution goes through and the Israeli one fails.
I guess this will show us which way the wind is blowing from the UN.

I also have to admit to being suprised that this is the first ever UN Resolution called for by the Israelis. Especially when you bear in mind that, on average, there are 20 resolutions condemning it for it's own activities every year.
Could this be the beginnings of a concerted Israeli effort to use the UN as a political tool?

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I hope this signals a turn-around, but it's doubtful. Sharon is just getting back from a trip to Russia to try and convince the Russians NOT to support making the roadmap a UN Resolution thus bringing Israel under more scrutiny for ignoring many aspects of the road map.

www.middle-east-online.com...

"Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon faltered Tuesday in a bid to convince top Russian officials to drop their efforts to turn the Middle East peace "roadmap" into a binding United Nations resolution.

Israeli officials said that Sharon met only cautious understanding but no compliance during talks that included a three-hour meeting Monday with Russian President Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin.

Sharon asked Putin to drop the resolution, Israeli officials said, and to add the Lebanese Shiite militia Hezbollah and Palestinian movements to Russia's list of "terrorist" organizations.

But the Israeli officials said that Putin and his Kremlin aides refused to offer an immediate response, sticking to a line that only "terror" organizations that operate in Russia will be recognized as such by Moscow.

The officials said there was also little compliance from Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov, one of the Russian initiators of a proposed UN resolution supporting the roadmap whom Sharon met on Tuesday.

"The prime minister Sharon had a very frank discussion," with the Russian foreign minister, a senior Israeli official said.

"We expressed once more our total opposition to the Russian proposal" that presents the Middle East roadmap before the United Nations...

...Russia presented the resolution on the Middle East roadmap to the United Nations on Thursday, sparking an angry response from Israeli officials.

They said they prefer the peace plan to be enforced in the war-torn region by the United States, and that approval from the United Nations - where Arab states have a strong voice - may force the Jewish state into unfair commitments.
"

Israel prefers that the US enforces the peace plan? Haha, no shyte.

jakomo

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Russia looks like it is playing a political game. By pushing for a Resolution it will take some of the heat away from it's own problems in Chechnya and appear more appeasing to hardline Islamics.

I would have thought it questionable as to whether the Roadmap could be passed as a Resolution. To do so could be in breach of International Law.

As for Israel breaching the terms of the Roadmap so far? It could be argued effectively that the Roadmap was breached by the Palestinian side too. The first criteria was a cessation of terrorist activities and a disbanding of terrorist organisations - something that Arafat plainly failed to achieve.

The Russians are on very dodgy ground with this one. I see it merely as posturing to safeguard their own interests.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Leveller said:
"As for Israel breaching the terms of the Roadmap so far? It could be argued effectively that the Roadmap was breached by the Palestinian side too. The first criteria was a cessation of terrorist activities and a disbanding of terrorist organisations - something that Arafat plainly failed to achieve."

Ssshhhhhh Leveller, you can't tell that to Jakomo......especially when he doesn't want to hear it.

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Leveller: ""As for Israel breaching the terms of the Roadmap so far? It could be argued effectively that the Roadmap was breached by the Palestinian side too. The first criteria was a cessation of terrorist activities and a disbanding of terrorist organisations - something that Arafat plainly failed to achieve." "

It COULD be argued. The sad truth is that Israel knows full well that to get terrorist activities to stop they would need to make concessions that they are unwilling to give (right of return, actual internationally agreed upon borders, etc).

The only reason they want the US to oversee and enforce the roadmap is because they KNOW that the US is in their pocket due to huge pro-Israeli lobbies in the US government.

And despite all your accusations, Arafat can do VERY LITTLE to curb extremists when their families are getting shot at and their houses and olive groves being bulldozed.

Arafat is a weenie, and he lacks control over the militants. Much of it because he's pretty much been under house arrest for 2 years.

Seeker: Notice how he said "It could be argued effectively that the Roadmap was breached by the Palestinian side too". That "too" is important, and something you never add. You rarely if ever lay any blame whatsoever on your Zionist heroes, always on the palestinians.

jakomo

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
Leveller: ""As for Israel breaching the terms of the Roadmap so far? It could be argued effectively that the Roadmap was breached by the Palestinian side too. The first criteria was a cessation of terrorist activities and a disbanding of terrorist organisations - something that Arafat plainly failed to achieve." "

It COULD be argued. The sad truth is that Israel knows full well that to get terrorist activities to stop they would need to make concessions that they are unwilling to give (right of return, actual internationally agreed upon borders, etc).

And yet when Israel makes concessions, violence increases.

Originally posted by Jakomo
Arafat is a weenie, and he lacks control over the militants. Much of it because he's pretty much been under house arrest for 2 years.

Every time you make the �Arafat is lame, powerless, and ineffectual� argument I ask you a question that you ignore. I�ll ask it again just because it�s become a tradition.

If you think Arafat can�t control terror because Israel has him under house arrest, what was his excuse before?

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I love this line....perhaps we should adopt this strategy....

But the Israeli officials said that Putin and his Kremlin aides refused to offer an immediate response, sticking to a line that only "terror" organizations that operate in Russia will be recognized as such by Moscow.

I know, I know....9/11 and all that. However, we have gotten nowhere on the road to justice with 9/11 although theres been quite a few smoke and mirrors.

All this while Ken Lay sits in his cozy mansion and numerous other rich people who cashed out when the bottom dropped out of the stock market (poor martha stewart, she got caught doing # all compared to some of the texans ).

The United States taxpayer protects corporate interests abroad while the corporate weinie heads are shipping our manufacturing and technology and jobs overseas along with our call center jobs and administrative work.

We have pre-emptively attacked another country who never attacked us before, set a precedent that is dangerous and creats a need for legal nations to develop nuclear weapons or face possible attack.

And somehow bush and the media felt like this was going to make the world safer from "terrorists"? ha.

87,5 billion. read it and weep.

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by Herder]

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Jakomo said:
"It COULD be argued. The sad truth is that Israel knows full well that to get terrorist activities to stop they would need to make concessions that they are unwilling to give (right of return, actual internationally agreed upon borders, etc)."

Hey Jakomo......
I noticed that you obviously failed to mention that the Palestinians would have to make concessions......?

Terrorist activities will not stop Jakomo....as hopeful as you may claim to be about this.....the reality of this is, as I have pointed out numerous times, is that 'peace' or even 'ceasefire' is nothing but a time thing.....meaning it allows for re-arming, planning, etc.
Are you trying to say that the Palestinians and even Israel is seeking a real and true peace. Hell dude, a survey was done recently and posted on ATS that pretty much stated that despite the Palestinians becoming a state, that over 59% +/- would still perform terrorist acts against Israel....and you cry Israeli concessions.....nada.
I am a bit mystified that you admitted that Arafat is a "weenie"....I concede, a bit, and admit one...Sharon is a "weenie"......

You see, thats why I continually harp on history on this conflict....it means nothing to many but it holds the key(s) to understanding that a "real and "true" and "lasting" peace is almost a no go.....why.....?
First off the PLO/PA/Hamas would have to shred and totally turn from what they have long held in belief.....as the whole of the Arab world/Islam has held in belief.....The utter genocide and destruction of all Jews and the Israeli state/nation.

The PLO/PA/Hamas National Charter(s) dictates the genocide and destruction of ALL Jews and Israel, you know....the part about the "Zionist Entity"?!. BTW...thats just Article I of the charter.......It doesn't mention Jews and Israel by name because in doing so, it would acknowledge Israel's existence.....hence the "Zionist Entity" bit.

"The 1951 Genocide Convention"
Link:
www.preventgenocide.org...

You see, Article I of the PLO/PA/Hamas National Charter clearly falls within the terms and definitions of "Genocide". So we have a "Charter(s)" and then on top that, the Palestinians are literally teaching thier children, in schools and classrooms, this very same philosophy of hate and destruction of Jews and Israel. This is not including the Palestinian media, along with other Arab world media outlets and sources, still continuing to call for the destruction of Jews and Israel. All this adds up to more than "occupied territories" and Jews are "legitimate targets", etc. The Palestinians clearly continue to act (terrorism/suicide bombers/suicide assassins), advocate, plan, and carry out actions violating those actions outlined in Article III of the Genocide treaty. But lets hammer the issue of those 120+ Israeli UN resolutions......

Jakomo....there are a few here that know how I feel about Israel.....they also know that I, in no way, fully back everything that Israel does and has done.....don't think so...ask some of the members that contest your comments and others on Israel....always condemning them and never condemning Palestine. In fact, to my knowledge, this topic and your last post to it, is the first time I have seen you even mention a condemnation of Palestinian actions and that really wasn't what you did....you simply called Arafat a "weenie"......oh, boy.....but hey, a start is a start.

I merely argue that to continue to deny that "history" plays no relevence to this continued and tragic conflict is ignoring the obvious. Both sides, and let me say it again....both sides will have to massively change their collective mind-sets if real, true, and lasting peace is to be gained.....my contention, is that like history, I am seeing a pattern, and that pattern, if not turned away from, will lead to "genocide" and another major, major lose needless lives. Despite all the "evil" acts that ISrael has been claimed to have done and does.....there is NO avoiding the obvious......the PA/PLO/Hamas Charter, if not the Arab world, hates Jews and continues to call for its utter DESTRUCTION.....! Despite your "facts"....the "fact" I mentioned is so clear that one has to be seriously blind to not see it......it is in practice and in written form.

Jakomo said:
"your Zionist heroes"

Yeah......ok, Jakomo......
You continue with that Arafat is a "weenie" bit while you continue to "stroke" his master plan....you know....peace is BS while I still continue to breath...oh....and I can't control my militants, etc.....oh....we are the "innocent victims"....Israel is the oppressor bit.....
You support exactly what he supports.....read between the lines.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 4-11-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Jakomo, you make some interesting points that I believe show us your stance beyond a shadow of a doubt.

With regard to the palestinians you state the following:

The sad truth is that Israel knows full well that to get terrorist activities to stop they would need to make concessions that they are unwilling to give (right of return, actual internationally agreed upon borders, etc
With regard to the israelis you state the following:

I hope this signals a turn-around, but it's doubtful.

What I see from that is that when it comes to Palestinians your opinion is "gosh, the palestinian government is honorable, and i know if they could make peace they would, and they'd stop blowing up pedestrians and shoppers."

And I see from this that your opinion on the Israelis is "gosh, i see that israel is taking steps toward working with the UN to protect helpless groups of people, but i know that those zionist mother#ers are up to no good"

Damned if you do, damned if you don't Jakomo. Obviously even if Israel woke up tomorrow and unilaterally decided to give up their land and march into the red sea giving everything away you'd still think they were up to no good.

Way to show a balanced opinion.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm so SICK of Israel. Screw'em.

posted on Nov, 5 2003 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Now there's an intelligent contribution if I ever saw one. And to think, people worried about members posting comments that were just an emoticon. This is just as useful!

top topics

join