It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

question about a quote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
the following quote is accredited to Thomas B. Macaulay. supposedly in 1857, he wrote a letter to a colleague of his detailing the average years of the rise and fall about a democratic nation:

"A democracy cannot survive as a permanent form of government. It can last only until its citizens discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority (who vote) will vote for the candidates promising the greatest benefits from the public purse, with the result that a democracy will always collapse from loose fiscal policies, always followed by a dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest democratic nations has been 200 years. Each has been through the following sequence:

* From bondage to spiritual faith.
* From faith to great courage.
* From courage to liberty.
* From liberty to abundance.
* From abundance to complacency.
* From complacency to selfishness.
* From selfishness to apathy.
* From apathy to dependency.
* And from dependency back again into bondage.

Can we escape this fate?"

-- Lord Thomas B. Macaulay, 1857
-------------------------------------------------------------------

i say "supposedly" because no matter where i look, i can not find this quote accredited to him anywhere. not even snopes has it and it was the forst place i looked. so my question is this: is there an actual credible book/site/etc where i can find any acknowledgement to this guy for this quote? or is this another modern day fear-stirrer-upper? i'm just really curious is all.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:34 PM
link   
so no one can help answer my question?
that sucks. i'll keep looking on my own. i just wanna make sure.
yeah, thanx for nothing.
well, this can be closed now, as it seems pretty much useless. i'm pretty sure i'll find my answer eventually.

join