It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan Signs Peace Agreement With Taliban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In a surprising move, Pakistan has signed a peace agreement with taliban located in North Waziristan, located on the boarder of afganistan and pakistan. It is said that al-qaeda and taliban fled their after the U.S. invasion. The pakistani president is completely this move apparently and "Pakistani army commander, Major General Azhar Ali Shah, embraced representatives of the militants after the pact was signed."

www.itv.com
Pakistan has signed a peace deal with pro-Taliban militants from the lawless tribal area of North Waziristan.

The militants have agreed to stop attacks in both Pakistan and across the border in Afghanistan, negotiators said.

Hundreds of Pakistani troops and militants have been killed in the Waziristan, a semi-autonomous tribal region on the Afghan border, as the government has attempted to push its authority into the region as part of efforts in the US-led war on terrorism.

"The agreement will pave the way for permanent peace in the region," said Malik Shahzada, a member of a tribal council that has been overseeing the negotiations with the rebels.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the U.S. may not negociate with "terrorists" but pakistan doesn't have much a problem with it. I was actually a bit surprised. Pakistan made it clear no nation will use pakistan as a "spring board" to launch an attack on them either. Interesting move, I am looking foward to the response on this one. I also wonder how the U.S. government is going to feel about this. They surely won't be happy to see taliban being treated in such a way. The government of a country on the rise, signing a peace agreement with a group that was not even suppose to exist really anymore after this war on terror the U.S. launched.

Related News Links:
www.bernama.com.my

[edit on 5-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The entire rational behind keeping places like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, which are home to violent, powerful, extremist islamist movements, off the 'axis of evil' and 'regime change short list' was that the nominal governments there were at least generally cooperative.

Not too long ago the US disbanded the team that was charged with hunting bin laden.

Now Pakistan has signed a peace treaty with one of the tentacles of his organization.

Now they have a base of operations to re-organize safe from any kind of civilization.

This is, basically, a defeat of US foreign policy.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
what amazes me about this article is that both grimreaper and the media have spun it way out of proportion. you and the media say that pakistan has made this agreement with the taliban. but this is what the very first paragraph of your article says:

Pakistan has signed a peace deal with pro-Taliban militants from the lawless tribal area of North Waziristan.

BIG difference there. lets stick to the facts folks.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The Pakistan Army has not been able to control the border. They have lost hundreds of troops in trying to secure the area. In reality the Pakistani Army has been defeated in that border area and the Army and Government of Pakistan have given the area to the Taliban leaders in appeasement. Both are Muslim States.
The Taliban now have a region which they control on the Pakistan/Afghan border and
it will now be very difficult to dislodge them. The West dare not be critical of Pakistan because of its proximity to Afghanistan.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
the interesting thing is that Pakistan was finalizing their agreement
to cease & desist operations against those forces in that region

just as President Bush was delivering the 5 Sept speech which
emphasized the US position; which is that 'Havens' or 'Sanctuaries'
for militants/terrorists/rogue Jihadists/ et al, will not be acceptable!

Also, that any nation/state which allows groups like AQ, Jihad, even
Hezbollaha's to form a state-within-a-state...can expect to face
US militaristic responses.

With all that in mind- - -?Was the 5 sept. Bush message, a shot across the bow of Pakistans ship of state?

I don't think the US can antagonize the dictatorship in Pakistan...
after all they developed the Islamic-Muslim Bomb

there's a whole lot to consider,

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I find this very interesting and I feel that signing a peace agreement with the Taliban will only recognized and give credit to their existence.

I don't understand how could this be a good thing, perhaps for Pakistan to show respect for a terrorist organization and to gain respect for the Pakistani government that need it for the support of their people.

But for the US administration and its policies toward terrorist nations and sponsoring of terror, this seems like a slap in their faces.

top topics

join