It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorist Prey On People"Corrupted By Conspiracy Theories" Says White House

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:26 PM
link   
A new counterterrorism plan released by the white house recently brings up some interesting points. First it talks about how Al Qaeda is weakening and we should focus on smaller terrorist groups now. It also makes other rather bold statements. The plan says it still holds priorities like protecting the U.S. homeland and fighting terrorism, but says we need more training in islamic culture to stop terrorism. Another bold statement is made about certain ethnic or religious groups unwilling to comform to "freedom".

www.washingtonpost.com
A new counterterrorism strategy released yesterday by the White House describes al-Qaeda as a significantly degraded organization, but outlines potent threats from smaller networks and individuals motivated by al-Qaeda ideology, a lack of freedom and "twisted" propaganda about U.S. policy in the Middle East.

"The terrorism we confront today" springs from several sources, including an "ideology that justifies murder" and that blames "perceived injustices from the recent or sometimes distant past," the strategy says. That ideology, it says, preys upon populations that "see no legitimate way to promote change in their own country" and whose "information about the world is contaminated by falsehoods and corrupted by conspiracy theories."

The document refers indirectly to "homegrown terrorists," such as the two dozen British citizens arrested in this summer's alleged plot to blow up commercial aircraft. Even in democracies, it says, "some ethnic or religious groups are unable or unwilling to grasp the benefits of freedom otherwise available in the society. . . . Even in these cases, the long-term solution remains deepening the reach of democracy so that all citizens enjoy its benefits."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Id post the entire article if I could. I found my eyes repeatedly opening going "are you kidding me?!" Its simply amazing the statements made in this new document from the white house. I strongly recommend everyone to read this entire article. I found the biggest eye opener to be one of these two statements.

"some ethnic or religious groups are unable or unwilling to grasp the benefits of freedom otherwise available in the society. . . . Even in these cases, the long-term solution remains deepening the reach of democracy so that all citizens enjoy its benefits."
^this speaks for itself

That ideology, it says, preys upon populations that "see no legitimate way to promote change in their own country" and whose "information about the world is contaminated by falsehoods and corrupted by conspiracy theories."
^ so what they are saying is that this ideology (terrorists ideology) preys upon populations that cannot see how to change their own countries and visions are clouded by conspiracy theories? ok if thats right then this should be a bit of an eye opener to everyone on this site.

I am honestly surprised they would be so straight foward about the religion thing. "some ethnic or religious groups simply cant accept freedom" is what they pretty much said.

Related News Links:
www.ktre.com

[edit on 5-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 5-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

[edit on 9-6-2006 by worldwatcher]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
honestly I think the "some ethnic or religious groups" bit is by far the biggest eye opener. Seriously, they talk about islam and such the entire time. How they should learn the language better to combat terrorism. Then that.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I don't know but something seems odd. We base our opinions on the very same media we bash over and over on the forum. What does it say about us?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by La Balance
I don't know but something seems odd. We base our opinions on the very same media we bash over and over on the forum. What does it say about us?

I dont like the media in general. But I do take the quotes they use in their papers. If they quote it and thats not what was said, it would severely damage the credibility the paper has amound even the most ignorant of this country. The things said that opened my eyes, were direct quotes of the strategy, not opinions the paper slipped in.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:19 PM
link   
You're right. And it's a signed article. Too often we will see unsigned AP articles and such.. And I don't hit for posting this either, as it is very newsworthy, but what lies in their quotes is their system: who's deemed a terror group, what we should perceive, there is rarely dialogue, always expediency.. we have no say. Too often what we read about in the papers is precisely what we fight against. Anyways, my 2cents.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
If you mean the quotes are telling us whos the terrorists then yes you are 100% correct. The quotes are from a new strategy to fight the war on terrorism released by the white house. The government is deciding who the enemy is and there is no debate about that.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 01:31 AM
link   

It also declared that "finding a solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a critical component to winning the war of ideas," and said that "no other issue has so colored the perception of the United States in the Muslim world."

uh, huh.
so, it's 'jews' vs. 'muslims', with 'jews' being equivalent to 'americans'.
uh, huh.

war of 'ideas', indeed.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:21 AM
link   
To be honest, I believe the IRAQI occupation to be coloring the water a little bit more than the palestinian issue.

Dont get me wrong, palestine has a right to be angry at the Israeli's.
But I feel Iraq has MORE of a right to be angry at the Americans.

Its just convenient now that both countries ' israel and the US ' have a common cause in the middle east.

To ensure there occupations are seen as LEGAL, and allows them the right to strike at anyone whom beleives other wise.

Another strangley unique speach/memo released from the whitehouse.
There's a lot of stuff being pumped into the publics eyes this past 2 weeks.

Its like theyve RUN out of time to convince the masses of certain aspects before the next ' big thing '

Im almost convinced this next week and a half are going to be VERY interesting.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   

"information about the world is contaminated by falsehoods and corrupted by conspiracy theories."

Hmm, very interesting.

Those darn conspiracies.

I made a thread about this.

Anti-Government Phobia a Dissease?

[edit on 6-9-2006 by yanchek]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Sounds to me like they're laying out a longer-term plan of action. Once this current conflict is over, they plan on turning this into a much more prolonged thing, by continuing to pick on selective groups of people that they percieve as a threat to their security. By they, I'm referring to the powers that be, of course.

It's truly startling when one thinks about the implications that this series of statements might have for all of us here, as well as abroad. I'm simply amazed that those in control would be so overt with their approach. What will this mean for those of us that feel the need to question the truth? Will we even be able to do that here in a few short years? When will it stop? Or will it?

I'm getting a little worried....

TheBorg

P.S. I wonder what upper-level ATS management thinks about this? What say you?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 03:14 AM
link   
"Some ethnic or religious groups are unable or unwilling to grasp the benefits of freedom otherwise available in society."

Perhaps understandably, some of you folk seem to have a problem with that statement.

How about this one?

"Some cultural groups are unable or unwilling to grasp the benefits of freedom otherwise available in society."

In my experience (which was gained in many countries over many years) the latter statement is precisely true. The condemnation and oppression of 'sinners' is an example of a way in which a cultural group deliberately rejects the benefits of freedom available in society. Which cultural group? I'll leave that for you to decide.

Have you heard of caste? Or of cultural groups in which some members have less rights than others? Any cultural group that defines itself at least partly by defining others as inferior is rejecting one of the most important benefits of freedom.

Now ask yourself: what's the difference between a 'cultural group' and an 'ethnic or religious group'?

Answer: very little or none. Religion and ethnicity are aspects of culture.

The author of that document was calling a spade a spade. I take my (purely conjectural) hat off to him.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 06:50 AM
link   
That statment about groops not willing to accept freedom I think is right. I have seen that very aspect played out on some news reports. It was as situation of people moveing from a country with very strict rule to a free country, and they are not will to accept freedom. One polition has even said that if you dont want freedom dont live hear.
With that I think they have it about right.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Red Golem - where do you live?

Do you think it is a free country?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
But I feel Iraq has MORE of a right to be angry at the Americans.

Saddam butchered hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. He used WMD on Kurds to ethnically cleanse them out. He further killed hundreds of thousands more in two wars of his making - Iran and Kuwait - to further his ego. His rape rooms were notorious and so were his torture chambers ... 10s of thousands suffered through them.

In addition to all that, there hadn't been free elections in Iraq for 40 years. Now there are. The Oil for Food money that was supposed to be going to the Iraqis ended up going to Saddams palaces and in the pockets of the UN security council to buy their votes.

None of that is happening now. The Iraqis have an opportunity to become a free and stable democracy. It took years for Japan and Germany to stablize after WWII. It will take years in Iraq too. But they are well on their way.

No. Iraqis have no right to be angry with Americans. And for the most part they are just angry with the INSURGENTS who keep killing the iraqis and who necessitate America sticking around. Without the insurgents, we'd be gone already.

Link to video of Iraqi woman after she voted telling people who don't like George Bush to 'go to hell' ..

www.lifelikepundits.com...

[edit on 9/6/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Saddam butchered hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.
Hundreds of thousands? Facts please?

He used WMD on Kurds to ethnically cleanse them out.
As did the Turkey but no one seems to talk about this, why? Because Turkey is in NATO.

He further killed hundreds of thousands more in two wars of his making - Iran
Financed and armed by USA.

His rape rooms were notorious and so were his torture chambers ... 10s of thousands suffered through them.
So why USA financed him? Why did they armed him? Ah yes, for cheap oil. Money can buy anything even a dictatorship who kills thousands.

In addition to all that, there hadn't been free elections in Iraq for 40 years.
As in Saudi Arabia, an ally of USA.

Now there are. The Oil for Food money that was supposed to be going to the Iraqis ended up going to Saddams palaces and in the pockets of the UN security council to buy their votes.
Exactly and they aren't speaking enough about this in the medias.

None of that is happening now. The Iraqis have an opportunity to become a free and stable democracy.
If USA get out of there and that their puppet government get out of there also.

No. Iraqis have no right to be angry with Americans. And for the most part they are just angry with the INSURGENTS who keep killing the iraqis and who necessitate America sticking around. Without the insurgents, we'd be gone already.
They have dozens of reasons to be angry at the US. One of them is the use of depleted uranium.

Link to video of Iraqi woman after she voted telling people who don't like George Bush to 'go to hell' ..
As a lot of people in the world says everyday.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Saddam butchered hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. He used WMD on Kurds to ethnically cleanse them out.

Oh dear, FF... your relationship with history has never been strong and has consistently been selective. No matter how many times people point out that Saddam was supported by the UK and US while he was doing this, even to the extent of having a CIA officer write a piece about how it was probably Iran that used gas in Halabjah, you still regurgitate the same old half-truths.

He further killed hundreds of thousands more in two wars of his making - Iran and Kuwait - to further his ego. His rape rooms were notorious and so were his torture chambers ... 10s of thousands suffered through them.

Yeah. I mean, it's not like the US would rape and torture Iraqis, is it? No, wait, they have. Bang goes the moral high ground there...

The Oil for Food money that was supposed to be going to the Iraqis ended up going to Saddams palaces and in the pockets of the UN security council to buy their votes.

Oh, what about the four billion dollars that just disappeared from the OFF accounts after the US got their hands on it? No-one knows where it went.

As for all that stuff about it taking years to stabilize... by 1948, Germany was quite stable, thank you. As I have pointed out in another thread, the US is losing the war in Iraq.

No. Iraqis have no right to be angry with Americans.

You're just sticking your fingers in your ears and singing "la la laaaa la la" at this point, aren't you? The US have killed tens of thousands of Iraqis, they've asset-stripped their economy, inflation is running around 70%, security is non-existent, sectarian violence has returned, the country is on the verge of civil war, Depleted Uranium is causing leukaemias, cancers, and the most horrific birth defects imaginable... they have every reason to be angry. The US has succeeded in pissing off pretty much all the locals except for a handful of Kurds, but you're still labouring under the misapprehension that everything is just ginger peachy. You need to wake up, I'm afraid, and smell the manure.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:29 AM
link   

As for all that stuff about it taking years to stabilize... by 1948, Germany was quite stable, thank you. As I have pointed out in another thread, the US is losing the war in Iraq.

Just thought I would add to that point... Japan and Germany after WW2 were entirely different scenarios than Iraq after Operation Iraqi "Freedom"...You can't point at the WW2 examples and then extrapolate that into Iraq. it's like comparing Apples and Tigersharks....

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
your relationship with history has never been strong and has consistently been selective.

Uh ... no. Mine is fine. But yours certainly is selective. Leans far to the left and ignores the truths that you don't want to see and that happen to be on the right. Here's a kicker for ya ... sometimes the other side is right and in this case they are. The facts about Saddam have been posted and reposted. But if YOU wish to ignore them, go ahead.

you still regurgitate the same old half-truths.

Glass houses rich .. glass houses ...

Ya'll don't like the fact that Saddam was a butcher. A mass murdering butcher. Government sponsored rape centers along with mass torture and mass murder. Mass graves have been overturned. Hundreds of thousands dead in his two ego wars with Iran and Kuwait.

Ignore the facts. You acuse me .. but frankly ya'll look like you spent too much time watching that F911 propaganda instead of looking at the painful truth - no matter how Saddam got there - he was a mass murdering monster who terrorized Iraq.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Ya'll don't like the fact that Saddam was a butcher. A mass murdering butcher. Government sponsored rape centers along with mass torture and mass murder. Mass graves have been overturned. Hundreds of thousands dead in his two ego wars with Iran and Kuwait.

Please, post a quote from me denying this. You will look long and hard. I simply admit the fact that you ignore, again and again, that the US and UK were supporting him all the way through this. Or haven't you seen that photo of Rumsfeld shaking Saddam's hand and presenting him with a pair of golden spurs, a present from Ronnie Reagan?

And I notice you haven't replied to the undoubted fact that US troops have been torturing and raping Iraqis. Like I said, there goes the moral high ground.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Ya'll don't like the fact that Saddam was a butcher. A mass murdering butcher. Government sponsored rape centers along with mass torture and mass murder. Mass graves have been overturned. Hundreds of thousands dead in his two ego wars with Iran and Kuwait

I'm not going to deny that thousands were killed, but certainly no where near the scale of hundreds of thousands. Anyhoo, my main bugbear with your selective history is the fact you seem to completely ignore the West's involvement in the Iran-Iraq war and to a much lesser extent, the GW1.

Iraq was coerced by the West, mainly the USA, to attack Iran to prevent the spread of the Revolution that was going on. They were supplied with Western weapons and money to aid them in this war.

This cannot be denied.

Any attempt at doing so merely proves your ignorance.

Irag had Chieftain tanks supplied to them by the UK for crying out loud! And thats just one thing out of many.

Theres the bio/chem weapons we supplied him with and are now accusing him of using.

I laugh when people claim "but they were for research purposes" or some other whiny excuse.

Give over.

You honestly expect us to believe that the Western governments supplied Saddam (a known dictator) with technolgy to develop WMD and then to turn round and say "we thought he'd use them for agricultural research", when they are in the middle of a proxy war with Iran?

I'd laugh if I could stop thinking about the blood thats on our hands as well. You can live in denial if you want, Flyer, but don't try to get us to join you in your fuzzy little world.

I for one am capable of seeing that we were/are at fault for many problems around the world, rather than blaming it some fictitious bogey man and claim we are whiter than white and under attack without ANY reason whatsoever.

****Disclaimer****

I am not a "lefty liberal", before you try and tar with that same old tired line. I am fairly right wing, to be honest, but that doesn't have any bearing on my opinions about this crock of BS War on Terror.

I am not a terrorist sympathiser. They are still criminals who attack the innocent, but the way we are dealing with them is the wrong way. Blowing up whole countries with mighty armies and air forces, to go after a few men, will only piss more people off. Why you cannot see this, I do not know, but I'd hate to be as blinkered and susceptible to all this BS as you seem to be.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join