It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In my own town.... What you all think

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Police are searching for a man of Middle Eastern descent after he tried to buy cell phones at several Lexington stores.

Read the rest here...

www.lex18.com...

The thing I find odd is a few weeks back in Ohio the arrested the two guys and they had maps showing the different Walmart and other shopping center locations up and down I-75. Also there is the Bluegrass Depot in Richmond where some of these where attempted to be purchased. I prob reading to much into it but figured I would post it anyways.

L8r,

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Ther was another thread about an article where a man had a "thousand" phones that he had bought at retail prices that he said he was just going to re-sell ("why would you buy that many phones at retail prices when you could start a legal business and get the phones at wholesale w/out paying taxes").

Anyway, that in parenthesis is what another person posted that I thought made alot of sense ( I couldn't figure out how to "quote" somebody from another thread).

Here is that other thread.

You got phones? You must be a terrorist then!

A couple of things though, 1) I wonder, with Homeland Security being what it is, why they can't track this type/brand of phone. And 2) Why didn't anybody sell him a phone and 3.) Why did it raise interest that somebody wanted to buy a couple(?) of them?

Are those phones on some kind of list for stores to watch for who buys them?

Cell phone retailers must be under some kind of alert to call this suspicious and call the authorities.

[edit on 5/9/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I work in the wireless industry and though i havn't been specifically trained on it there is a procedure for notifying corporate security for purchases of more than 5 prepaid wireless phones, the ones no ID is needed for. I recently refreshed myself on some training i'd taken before about selling this particular brand. I don't remember that being in past versions of the training. This is at least the third time i've done this particular course. The last time was about 9 months or so ago.

[edit on 5-9-2006 by jefwane]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jefwane
I work in the wireless industry and though i havn't been specifically trained on it there is a procedure for notifying corporate security for purchases of more than 5 prepaid wireless phones, the ones no ID is needed for. I recently refreshed myself on some training i'd taken before about selling this particular brand. I don't remember that being in past versions of the training. This is at least the third time i've done this particular course. The last time was about 9 months or so ago.

THAT'S called "profiling" AND I'm reporting YOU AND YOUR company to the ACLU so they can start ANOTHER BOGUS lawsuit. LMAO

Dude, if you even LOOK of middle eastern descent and purchase more than 1 LIGHTER at a time from the local Sev, I'm onto you like stink on DooDoo.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by snoochies

Originally posted by jefwane

THAT'S called "profiling" AND I'm reporting YOU AND YOUR company to the ACLU so they can start ANOTHER BOGUS lawsuit. LMAO

Dude, if you even LOOK of middle eastern descent and purchase more than 1 LIGHTER at a time from the local Sev, I'm onto you like stink on DooDoo.

Dude, Where in the quote you quoted did you see where it said anything about anybody with the "LOOK of middle eastern descent".

Calm down.

[edit on 5/9/06 by Keyhole]

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Keyhole, I'm pretty sure he was joking.

I heard about the cellphone thing, it's a little crazy. Obviously, you don't buy several hundred phones at retail to resell them.

I used to work for Skinny's (convenience store) until I quit just a month or so ago, and our policies there were pretty tight as well. Can't sell anyone more than one cellphone without filling out a Patriot Act "packet" that's like an inch thick. Same with money orders.

Craziness.

top topics

join