It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Absolute Arrogance of Christianity!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Excitable_Boy
Really? Please explain...preferrably without quoting any passages from the Bible. I'm especially interested in how a religion can save relationships and release them from guilt and shame. Especially when the religion is based on wanting its members to feel guilt and shame every day they live.

How does it save relationships? By telling people they aren't allowed to divorce? That is saving a relationship?

I'm very interested in your responses.....thanks!

Seriously Excitable, are you an ex-AMISH or something?

How about you tell me how a religion that is based entirely on the concept that if you confess your sins that they are removed from you in God's mind as far as east is from west (OOOOPS - uh...that's not from the Bible dude...um...I just made it up, honest), and that the most important rules are to love God and love your neighbor (OOOOOOOPS...um...got that off a...a website!), and that warns against greed and believes in taking care of the poor and SPECIFICALLY ATTACKS PEOPLE WHO MAKE A BUSINESS OUT OF FAITH, and that commands you to forgive people the way that you would want to be forgiven (DARN. IT.) ...you tell me, Excitable, how can that religion NOT take away your shame and help a relationship and make the world a better place?

I don't know what your source is for discovering Christianity.
But seriously...whatever it is, burn it!

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   
EB likes to generalize because then he gets attention.

Sure the Church is corrupt, because it is run by PEOPLE. Not that surprising of a revelation.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

And what do the Non-Christians in this topic consider themselves?

I consider myself a human being.....and I believe in God. I don't believe in 2 gods: Jesus and God. I believe in the one true God. Pagans believe in more than one god....not that there is anything wrong with that. Some of my best friends are Pagans, i.e. Native Americans........wonderful people!

Jesus=God

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."
James 2:19

Out of interest, have you actually looked into the prophecies concerning the return of Christ?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
This is a difficult thread to reply to as I really don,t know wether I can be classed as Christian or not..

My family is Roman catholic.I belive that someone/somthing came to Earth a lotta years ago to try to sort out some crap..

I also believe that they treated(as we would treat an ET today) whoever this was as a freak.

It seems to me that someone TRIED 2000 years ago to try and educate us that we are all the same on an anthropological/evolutionary level...but...

guess what??? We Screwed up big style..

I,m pretty sure we would do EXACTLY the same in the world today..IE...

We have learned absolutely nothing in 2000 years..

I was never confirmed as a RC .. It matters not a jot to me... I have learned enough that if we do not sort out our petty differences as a global race we deserve to be obliterated to make way for a hyper space bypass

this is why I hope for a globally recognised sighting... to make us aware how universally insignificant we are

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjmg

And what do the Non-Christians in this topic consider themselves?

I consider myself a human being.....and I believe in God. I don't believe in 2 gods: Jesus and God. I believe in the one true God. Pagans believe in more than one god....not that there is anything wrong with that. Some of my best friends are Pagans, i.e. Native Americans........wonderful people!

Jesus=God

"Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble."
Out of interest, have you actually looked into the prophecies concerning the return of Christ?

Native american sayings:

And when all the forests are burnt
And all the fish taken from the sea
And the land polluted,
People will understand that
You cannot eat money.

This Earth is not inherited
from our ancestors,
It is on loan
from our children.

The above is good earthy philosophy, makes you think about the planet and what we are doing, doesn't need faith to understand it.

DIVINE INSANITY (Jesus and God)
God killed himself on the cross to save his own creation from his own wrath!

All faith, no evidence, bible quoting,contorted guilts, floods, armageddon, hell, paradise: church exploitation of feeble minds.

The first clergyman was the first rascal who met the first fool.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
GPS777

Christianaphobia.
Well done.
FYI: I will be plagiarizing this term in the future.

knock yourself out Essedarius,well not literally

Excitable, you spend a lot of time on these boards railing against the Christian faith. If you could write the script for the next ten years of the Christian faith, what would it look like?

I'm really trying to find your point, but I'm dangerously close to believing that your college sweetheart joined a convent or something. Help me out...

As funny as that is and i did laugh,from what i`ve picked up on from other like minded people and posters in some cases it may of stemmed from a deep traumatic event,for example maybe parental divorce or lose of parent or sibling which can trigger anger and the victim looks for what appears to be an easy target for release of frustration or cause.

Not that i`m saying i know EB because i dont except for making these type of slanderous generalizations against Christians but one things for certain God/Christs is not to blame nor is any Christian thus far i`ve read to deserve his outbursts of attacks.

So i`m also interested Essedarius in what the underlaying problem might be,because sometimes people like this are closer to seeing and believing than they might want to believe themselves.

Remembering however
Matthew 11:27
"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Jesus=God

Tell me what that passage from James has to do with Jesus = God? It says nothing of the kind. But...feel free to make it say whatever you want as do most Christians...

There IS one God.....God!!

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:42 AM
link   
There is one God, as in God??? Is he the man that is supposed to sit on a cloud somewhere in the sky? Get real. People don't believe in Aliens, but they believe in God.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:49 AM
link   
All religion is arrogant.

'My god is better than your god' - 'DIE'

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
this is why I hope for a globally recognised sighting... to make us aware how universally insignificant we are

Amen Brother.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I'm going to get flammed for this (no pun intended), but I don't think "arrogance" even begins to cover it. If there is a hell, how can anyone enjoy heaven? Do you just look over your shoulder at the billions upon billions of suffering souls and say, "Meh, at least I got it good." Anyone who believes that they can experience eternal bliss even while knowing that some of their friends and family members are being eternally tortured is an all-out beast. Honestly, if fundie Christians are right, I'd rather go to hell.

On top of that, the Bible clearly says that those who have never heard the gospel cannot be saved. That means there are billions upon billions of people that God didn't even offer the opportunity of salvation to. That is neither just nor merciful.

Finally, substitutionary atonement is just plain untenable. Man offended God, so now God is thirsty for blood, but only the blood of the innocent will satisfy Him? It isn't only untenable, it is contradictory. The parts of the Bible that fundies like to quote say that we need to faithfully accept the ultimate blood sacrifice in order for our sins to be forgiven, but other parts of the Bible contradict this. Jesus forgives the sins of people who don't have faith ("Forgive them, for they know not what they do) and plenty of people in the Old Testament are forgiven without the necessity of a blood sacrifice.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. I know I'm being snippy, but where I come from, people are constantly asking me to accept something that can't stand up to reason, so I get defensive about it pretty easily.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Providence]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have been a Nondenominational Christian for 20 years. I get the Word directly from the Bible and I have to admit, I don't understand it all and am constantly learning new things from it. I am amazed at all the nonbelievers who know this Book so well. Hmmm, am I just slow? When I read about Bible Scholars that study Scripture for a living I find that even they don't know the Bible in its entirety. It's unfortunate when people argue from ignorance. A couple of people here have stated points they claim are in or supported by the Bible, yet nothing could be further from the truth. The OP claims he has read and does understand the Bible and then makes statements that give support to the contrary. If I were going to paraphrase or quote a book and then claim to know what it means, especially a book as complex in meaning as the Bible, I would most likely do extensive research so as to ensure I am correct.

I'm not going to argue with anyone here but I will say the following:

The Father/ The Son/ The Holy Spirit = The Trinity = One God of three parts

The only way to the Father is thru the Son, yet all are given free will to choose and before Jesus comes again, the Word will have reached every corner of the globe.

Nonbelievers argue against religion by first claiming we are religious. I have no use for religion as my belief has its basis in Faith which comes from the Lord thru His Word.

Religion is something you do but Faith is something you feel.

Be Well & God Bless

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
to the author

Your thread clearly demonstrates how little even some christians know about christianity, and I thank you for posting this. I myself am a follower of christ, and yeah i sometimes get way too arrogant, only to remeber that it is NOT the way I am supposed to be. I admit, just a week ago I made a very arrogant post about how some catholics don't know what they're doing. This is a wakeup call to me and all beleivers

The problem with today's christians is that they forget to read the bible and to learn how to be what God wants us to be, but instead jump in to do God's work.
That's stupid!

You should not attempt to disable a nuclear warhead if you don't know which wires to cut, it's doomed to end in disaster. Likewise don't preach if you don't know the word yourself. Jesus himself said, "First remove the plank from your own eye so that you can see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

To those beleiving: do not be a hyppocrite, and when sharing the gospel, do what it says as well. Don't be like the Pharisees.

And to those unbeleiving; rebuke any hippocrites that come toward you. It is better to avoid them alltogether, as they are further from God than you are.

[ADDED] and to the guy who wrote this:

that passage means that beleif in God alone can't save you. YOu need faith in him as well.

[edit on 9.7.06 by ProveIt]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jbondoThe only way to the Father is thru the Son, yet all are given free will to choose and before Jesus comes again, the Word will have reached every corner of the globe.
But what about those who have never heard? They can't freely choose salvation; they've never been given the opportunity. The only time they will hear about Jesus is when he comes again . . . and that will be to judge them. Billions upon billions of people have died before hearing the gospel. Are they all left unsaved? Paul seems to think so.

Romans 10:13-14
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Providence]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by nephyx
All religion is arrogant.

'My god is better than your god' - 'DIE'

That's quite the sweeping generalization.

Let me guess:

Are all arabs terrorists? All Jews rich? All fat people lazy?

Judging an entire population according to the actions of a few...help me out...would that be discrimination, bigotry, or just simple prejudice?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:38 PM
link   

that passage means that beleif in God alone can't save you. YOu need faith in him as well.

Save me? Save me from what? I believe in God and I have faith in God. To me, it's the same thing. If I didn't have faith in God, then I wouldn't believe in him...

What is it I need to be saved from? Bible thumpers that have a God complex?

to the author

Your thread clearly demonstrates how little even some christians know about christianity, and I thank you for posting this.

Thank you ProveIt. I gave you a WATS. Not because you thanked me, but because you have shown that you are both a Christian and a human being. It seems many on here have difficulty doing both and I praise you for it......and I liked everything you had to say.....

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Excitable_Boy]

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius

That's quite the sweeping generalization.

Let me guess:

Are all arabs terrorists? All Jews rich? All fat people lazy?

Judging an entire population according to the actions of a few...help me out...would that be discrimination, bigotry, or just simple prejudice?

Religion is anti humanitarian and the largest curse of mankind that ever existed. Any religious following promotes a slave mentality that does nothing but hinder the advancement and evolution of mankind.

Religion cannot be rationalized through any logical argument so people say 'I dont have to explain it, Its faith'. That sounds like a child who wont admit when he's wrong. Have fun following tradition instead of truth. When you break the planet im going to be pointing my fingers at you.

When you feel like joining the 21's century let me know. All religion is arrogant because its people preaching something they cannot prove. How could I possibly be wrong? Oh thats right, its not arrogance its FAITH... LAFFF!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProveIt
[ADDED] and to the guy who wrote this:

No that passage means exactly what it says,it means that by believeing in the one true God you`ve done well,because even the devils know it to be true.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
i always find it strange that people cling to the Bible as if Christ write it himself....Christ never wrote a thing...in fact he would erase scribbles in the sand.

Yet people act as if the Bible is the key to enter heaven...IT IS A BOOK, nothing more. put together by people who never saw, heard, or understand Christ. Most of the NT is written by Paul, who influenced christianity more than Christ. It borders on idolatry, the way people cling to every word and dont understand any of it.

I doubt Chrsit would even recognize what is being practiced in his name.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I doubt Chrsit would even recognize what is being practiced in his name.

He would be disgusted to see what is being practiced and has been practiced in the past in his name. It's disgusting and it would make him weep.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join