It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

evidence of a "soul"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Is there any scientific research into any kind of existance of a "soul" (which i'll define as a causal and necessary non-material compenent to life) I know there was some reseach being done about children claiming to have been reincarnated while in a trance...but that sounds a little sketchy to me....if you guys know of anything I'd be really interested to hear it, be sure to let me know

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Scientific fact: Energy NEVER dies! So where does it go? There's your question.
AAC

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   
the fact that energy is redistributed around the universe doesn't indicate a soul unless a car and a lightbulb have one as well.

[edit on 5-9-2006 by mikey9799]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Did you just try and compare a lightbulb to organic energy?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
what is organic energy all it means is it comes from an organism..... you can get energy from fully synthetic food sources does that mean if you live off of them you wont be really alive because they arent organic in origin? besides a plant gets its energy from light from the sun you eat the plant so where does the energy come from? energy is energy .

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
it did a double post for some reason.....cant find delete(kinda new here)

[edit on 5-9-2006 by mikey9799]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Yes he did.
Light bulbs have souls! And everytime you turn off the light, another little lightbulb soul goes on to where ever light bulb souls go to when they die.

Rather sad actually.. that is why I advise everyone to leave your lights on until your lightbulb dies of natural causes.. it is better for the lightbulb souls to live out their entire life.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Great question. Too bad the trolls are out.

I think the only proof would be from people who have had near death experiences. The problem with that is that people are cynical that they would never believe the person who knows for a fact there is a soul. One proof might be the huge number of people who have had such experiences. As medical science progresses these encounters with the afterlife would seem to be becoming more common.

Wikipedia Article

Check out the links in this article. Lots to think about.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The closest i've heard of a scientific attempt was when they would weigh people who were dying. Upon death they would lose 21 grams of weight. They even had a so-so movie about it. According to the theory the soul weighs 21 grams.

Hardly conclusive, I know. I just thought i'd toss it in the mix for the discussions sake.

wupy

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I could give you philisophical references (i.e. Prana) But I don't believe science, as you requested, is willing to subscribe to a specific answer. Experience is the best way to tell, you can achieve that through balance and spiritual fortitude.
AAC

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 07:32 PM
link   
They say that at the moment of death you loose 21 grams. Is that a solid tangable scientific evidence of a soul? I dont know but try googling soul 21 grams and see what you can find.. here's a start

perdurabo10.tripod.com...

en.wikipedia.org... based on a movie with same title

www.thetriangle.org...

[Mod Edit - Shrink-a-link]

[edit on 5/9/2006 by Umbrax]

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
My bad mrwupy I should have read all replies throughly before posting...

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:43 PM
link   
death is the complete and irreversable cessation of all brain activity. Your brain is your center of consciousness. Once that stops, thats pretty much it. Its not a matter of energy going anywhere. I guess in that respect you could say its like a rock thats been in the sun all day. After dark,the heat just radiates back into the earth.

I guess that would make more sense though, since the earth is where we get all our energy anyways; by way of the sun.

Just thought of something, though. Interesting how christianity says you cant get to god except through jesus. Well, you cant get to the suns energy except through the earth, after the plants have absorbed its energy, etc.....

Dont know if this is proof of a soul or not. I personally dont really think its anything more than a persons inability to comprehend nothingness. Also, keep in mind that just because there may or may not be a creator, that doesnt mean that there is a soul and an afterlife and all that. I think these are two unconnected things. But you never know. Conversations of this type can never go anywhere except around in a very large circle.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DjNothing
death is the complete and irreversable cessation of all brain activity. Your brain is your center of consciousness. Once that stops, thats pretty much it.

I so hope you are right, that when I die I sleep the peace of non existence for all eternity.

We have but one true gift to give to this world, the gift of ourselves. Everything else will fall away.

I look forward to the long sleep. (Even though I doubt any of us will be that lucky)

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I think, people are way too much at the beginning to describe what the soul is. But, every person has his/her own evidence of the existance of their awareness. Some time, accurate studies will define what a soul is, even if ppl have no proof for that at all.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
While it may be true that energy can not be destroyed, keep in mind it can be changed and even dissipated. Even as I would personally hope otherwise, it seems death may be oblivion after all ... lol.

new topics

top topics

join