It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Projectable keyboard?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Whilst in my local pub today, i heard a friend of mine mention that ther was a guy sat in another more private part of the bar using a strange device on the table. Another lad went round for a peek to see what it was for himself.
He said that this guy had a small black box which may have had a tiny screen on it, the box was sat on the table in front of him and coming from the box was a projected image of a keyboard onto the table. The guy appeared to be typing on the image of the keyboard, but it was just that, a projected image rather than a physical piece of hardware. So he was actualy typing on the table if you get my drift.

All of a sudden the guy left within seconds of my friends seeing this, he might have just been busy i don't know. Anyway i just wondered if anyone else had heard of a useable keyboard image like this? I've seen those fold up ones that the Japanese invented, but never an image that can be typed on.

CX.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
my uncle has one of these when you put your finger on the table or whatever is being projected onto the beam measures your fingers location and distance so it knows what character you have typed. hope this sheds some light?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sounds like this device, which does exactly what you described. Connects via Bluetooth to portable devices such as PDAs for easier typing than using a stylus and an on-screen keyboard. At 179.99$ USD its a bit pricey, but definately the hotness when you want to use a PDA in a bar or resteraunt.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Yep. As Helig and Bens described it. Actually it's been a round for a couple of years now. Not really sure why it hasn't caught on. Bit pricey maybe? Or maybe not that effective - especially it works better in a dark lighted room. Don't know.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Yeah, I read about these things ages ago. Cool, huh? I h8 txtn othr peple wth stupd txt tlk, so I think this could be a great design innovation for future mobile phones. At least it would give people an option other than using number keys.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Interesting gimmick, but it looks like it would appeal to the electronics/computer enthusiast.

Strikes me that the lack of feel as to placement of fingers on the keys would make for slow going.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Nah, once your positioned on the home row (and providing you use proper touch-typing technique) its all reflex, or at least I would think it is, since I rarely have to think about typing other than if I take my hands off the keyboard or have had one too many beers.

new topics

top topics

join