It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time For Universal Health Care In America

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Here is one problem with the UK NHS.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The report found that some patients are still being denied key drugs depending on where they live, despite guidelines by the National Institute of Clinical Excellence on what treatments should be made widely available on the NHS in England and Wales.

Keep reading the commits at the bottom of the story. This is what happens when the government gets involved in our lives.

Roper

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Another one.

news.bbc.co.uk...

A senior Department of Health civil servant said people would not be able to decide what details were stored.

Critics said this went against earlier government assurances that patients would be able to veto the information.

Ya'll really want something like this in the USA?

Roper

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Being an American citizen -- born, raised, educated in Michigan -- I presently live in Canada. I've lived here for nearly two decades. I am a dual citizen now (American and Canadian) through marriage. So I have experienced both systems; the Canadian Health Care System and the American "living on a hope and prayer" system.

Needless to say, the philosophy behind the Canadian health care system is an amazing system that considers that every Canadian is entitled to medical treatment and health care. To the contrary, the American system, to sum it up, is one where it's "every man for himself". There are those who afford to simply purchase their own health care insurance. Then there are those who are fortunate enough to be able to have employment with companies that offer health insurance as a "benefit". Finally, there are those who simply are unable to afford health insurance, unable to find work with an employer that offers health benefits and, of course, there are those who simply "fall between the cracks"; they may have had health insurance coverage from their employer but who might have gotten sick or injured "between jobs". There are number of reasons why Americans might NOT have health coverage.

When I lived in the US, before moving to Canada, I remember having sentiments that many posters have made known; that is, a sentiment where they don't want to "pay for the health benefits" of other Americans", after all it's every man for himself, right?
But aren't we all Americans? What about the ideal of "united we stand, divided we fall" or that a society is judged by the way it treats the least of it's members?

As far as I am concerned, the role of government is really rather limited. Governments, unfortunately like to stick their noses in every aspect of our lives. The role of a government, simply, is to provide a safe environment for which it's people can live, grow and prosper. A government is there to regulate commerce, build and maintain roads, provide for clean water and sanitation, protect us from our enemies. It is to every citizens advantage that a government provides a good education to the citizenry and a logical extension of this is to help provide a decent quality of universal health care for every man woman and child. No American should have to think twice about visiting their doctor because they aren't sure that they can afford it. No American should suffer from a cold, a flu, a strain, a sprain or even worse because they do not have private health insurance and, otherwise, do not have the finances to obtain the most basic of care.

Look at the difference. When I have a cold in Canada, I can simply go to my doctor have him/her thump my chest, listen to my heart, check my blood pressure, look into my throat (using one of those damned wooden tongue depressors) and tell me that I should "rest in bed, drink plenty of fluids, take two aspirins and to call him if I get worse or am still not better in a couple of days". I then leave the office and go home expecting to be babied by my wife while I watch TV and periodically moan.
Of course I can do the exact same thing in the States. There really isn't any difference except that in the States, if I don't have insurance, I'm about fifty bucks poorer after the visit to my physician.

Just think of the single mom who has kid who has a high temperature and an alarming cough. Naturally she loves her child and, of course, she would "give her life" for her child. But, maybe little Timmy or Brittany will get better on their own.....that fifty bucks is need for food or, perhaps, the rent?

The US has the best military in the world. The US is an agricultural and industrial powerhouse. Technologically, the US is second to none. But when it comes to the health of American citizens, the average American stands alone -- Kleenex and wallet in hand -- hoping that their cough goes away or that it doesn't turn into pneumonia and get worse. Universal Health Care is a simple concept that most Western countries take for granted. In the US the case is that, it would seem, Americans have been so thoroughly indoctrinated by the AMA and the establishment that they often are heard to say that they "don't want universal health care" because it is, somehow, unamerican. But try to take their rifles away. Just watch the hue and cry when the garbage isn't picked up or if the roads are filled with potholes. Why aren't Americans also demanding that EVERYONE be able to see a doctor and be treated regardless of their job or income or whether they can afford treatment at all?

Don't listen to the lies about "socialized" medicine and how it has ruined health care in Canada or the UK or France or where ever. Those lies are coming from the most powerful lobby in America -- the A.M.A. Yes, I am sure that every American has heard "horror" stories about the guy with a heart problem dying before he can receive some operation in Canada. But what about the child who dies in the states because his folks can't afford the doctor's fee much less the prescription? What about the families whose finances are ruined because of a catastrophic illness? Every system has it's horror stories or worst case scenarios but, by and large, the Canadian system is able to provide every man, woman and child universal access to care. Yes, glitches occur, doctor shortages can occur but governments can act and are acting to remedy statistical shortages. The present doctor shortage in Canada -- specifically Ontario -- could have been avoided through various legislative means that do not reflect any failure in the system. Like there is no mismanagement of any sort in the US? It happens. But in Canada, what is certain is that if you need a doctor, if you need health care or treatment, you can get it without going into hock or face financial ruin. Your family, friends and fellow citizens in Canada are amongst the healthiest people in the world. In the states, only the rich or the fortunate can echo those statements.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by craig732

I don't understand the need for government sponsered medical insurance or health care.

Perhaps you live on an Island? Or maybe you don't pay attention to the challenges and suffering in others lives.

I have been working for over 20 years in the United States. I have changed jobs several times. I have always taken a job with an employer that offers medical insurance.

What a lucky bastard you are, you should be humble and on your knees in awe.
YOU must be the chosen one. Those jobs with benefits, if any all, are not available to the vast majority.

I am no better than anyone else... If I can get a job that offers medical insurance why can't everyone?

You must be better than most of us,because everyone can't.

People of your like should count their blessings. They have become blind to the basic requirements of human beings, living in a conditioned fantasy world. Sheer luck.
And don't give me the whole "It's just hard work lecture"

It is shameful that we let our citizens live and die in poverty, but to also deprive them of health care is inhuman. Most mammals will care for an injured pack member we turn away.
But how can this be changed? I fear we are beyond the turning point. People have no say any more, they have become disposable numbers.
WIS

[edit on 28-9-2006 by WalkInSilence]

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence

Originally posted by craig732
I have been working for over 20 years in the United States. I have changed jobs several times. I have always taken a job with an employer that offers medical insurance.

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
What a lucky bastard you are, you should be humble and on your knees in awe.
YOU must be the chosen one. Those jobs with benefits, if any all, are not available to the vast majority.

Originally posted by craig732I am no better than anyone else... If I can get a job that offers medical insurance why can't everyone?

Originally posted by WalkInSilenceYou must be better than most of us,because everyone can't.

Here we go with the insults and name calling; I was wondering how long it would take for that to start.

You say that jobs with benefits are not available to the vast majority? Please provide statistics to back up that statement. After searching the web for over 2 hours, every statistic I could find showed that the people in the USA without health insurance are in the minority. And no, I did not look at the AMA site.

Originally posted by WalkInSilenceAnd don't give me the whole "It's just hard work lecture"

And no, I am not going to go into the whole "it's just hard work" lecture... it is much more than "just" hard work. It is intelligence, personality, friendliness, networking, etc that get you a good job.

I grew up very poor and dropped out of high school at age 15 to go to work to support my family. I also read a lot of books and studied hard so I would not be washing dishes for $2.50 an hour for the rest of my life. I spent most my time working and studying and a little bit of my time playing instead of the other way around. I did not go out and have sex and make babies I could not afford to care for. So please don't try to tell me that I am "lucky" or I had more opportunities than anyone else. I worked very hard to not have to struggle through this part of my life. And I am not living some high life somewhere... I am FAR from rich. But I am not worrying whether or not I can afford to go to the doctor because, I worked hard and studied hard and earned my place in life. I never counted on a handout from the government or anyone else. People need to take responsibility for the decisions they make in life that put them in the situations they are in.

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a coworker of mine has recently gone to the doctor..she's old enough to retire, and only works part time really. well, after going to doctor after doctor, she finds out that she has some sort of bone disease...her bones are literal wasting away. the doctor perscribed her medicine that hopefully will enable her to walk a little longer. so she went and got the filled....a month's supply...$700 bucks!! her insurance paid for most..her cost was only $200 bucks....

it's not uncommon to hear of people shelling out a hundred or more for a month's supply of just one of the pills the doctor has perscribed to them. and you think that one can plan, or work hard, or get a good education to keep up with these costs?? good luck!!!
I'd venture to say that there is a significant number of americans struggling to insure their families, there is also quite a few schools, businesses, and state governmets, struggling to insure their employees.
pretend that all is fine and great in this area if you want to, but, well, sooner or later, something is gonna have to give!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join