It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Time For Universal Health Care In America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Living in Canada affords me some of the best health care in the world, and all I need to do is show my health card. I can see my doctor, present at a clinic, or show up at the hospital with my card, and all my needs are taken care of with no out of pocket expense.

I don't even need to worry about being able to afford the cost of any prescription drugs due to my drug plan.

I notice some US states are working towards a system to cover health care for more of their population......

A push for universal health coverage is being rekindled in some states by the soaring cost of health care and the lack of political support in Washington for federal changes.

Advocates of a single-payer system — where the government would collect taxes and cover everyone, similar to programs in Canada and across Europe — have introduced bills in at least 18 state legislatures. Some are symbolic gestures, but heated debate is taking place in California and Vermont.

In Ohio, doctors, union officials and religious leaders are gathering signatures to get a single-payer health system placed on a ballot next year.
www.usatoday.com...

The Democratic-controlled Legislature is on the verge of sending Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger a bill that would create a state-run universal health care system, testing him on an issue that voters rate as one of their top concerns in this election year.

On a largely party-line 43-30 vote, the Assembly approved a bill by state Sen. Sheila Kuehl, D-Santa Monica, that would eliminate private medical insurance plans and establish a statewide health insurance system that would provide coverage to all Californians. The state Senate has already approved the plan once and is expected this week to approve changes that the Assembly made to the bill.

Schwarzenegger has said he opposes a single-payer plan like the one Kuehl's bill would create, but the governor has not offered his own alternatives for fixing the state's health care system. As many as 7 million people are uninsured in the state, and spiraling costs have put pressure on business and consumers.
www.sfgate.com.../c/a/2006/08/29/MNGBSKR3RA1.DTL

From a 2002 story the numbers of uninsured it growing at an alarming rate.

A census report released at the end of September found that the number of Americans without health insurance rose to 41.2 million last year, a rise of 2.5 million from the figure that had been reported for 2000. The increase has two components: an upward adjustment of 1.1 million in the number of uninsured in 2000, based on more accurate census figures, and an increase of 1.4 million in the number becoming uninsured during 2001 itself.

The proportion of the US population without insurance rose from 14.2 percent in 2000 to 14.6 percent in 2001. Households at every income level showed an increase in the proportion of uninsured, with the biggest increase among middle-income families earning $75,000 a year or more. Some 6.6 million people were uninsured in that income bracket, a 14 percent rise in just one year, reflecting the heavy impact of business cost-cutting on white-collar workers and lower levels of management.
www.wsws.org...

Private insurance doesn't seem to be helping much, other than lining their own pockets.

The U.S. spends twice as much as other industrialized nations on health care, $7,129 per capita. Yet our system performs poorly in comparison and still leaves 46 million without health coverage and millions more inadequately covered.

This is because private insurance bureaucracy and paperwork consume one-third (31 percent) of every health care dollar. Streamlining payment though a single nonprofit payer would save more than $350 billion per year, enough to provide comprehensive, high-quality coverage for all Americans.
www.pnhp.org...

I don't understand the reluctance of the American federal government to work towards providing proper health care for all their citizens. For the amount of money spent on the military in that country you would think they could cut back on trying to control the world a bit and divert some of that cash into the health of the people.

Perhaps their's no profit in it though.........

EDIT: sp

[edit on 4/9/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
That last paragraph was very well summing up the issue.
The incredible profits consumed by the pharmacuticals, and other medical teammates enables the already fledging economy to fall to it's knees in an effort to expect business to absorb the outrages costs to manage health. The problem lies in the lack of desire for a solution. More out of pocket expense for the fragile consumer.

Who contiubutes more than just about any other faction to the political process? The medical Industry. The word Industry implies "not about your health" but carry on as you must........

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well I am willing to spend my vote on anyone who proposes a unviersal healthcare system for all citizens 18 years of age or older.

just someone say the word!

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A client of mine has a friend who comes to visit for an extended period.
She ends of getting sick and needs and MRI.
Here insurance from Poland does not cover the MRI here.
She pays out of pocket $325.

My client ends up needing a MRI at around the same timeframe and has insurance.
The hospital bills the Insurance company $575 for the same procedure.

And we wonder why things are so messed up.

Also it really, really pays to have a friend that does medical billing. They saved us about $350 on the emergency room bill for a simple cut on our kids toe. Seems they "mistakenly" billed up for a suture kit that was never used and billed us a class B trauma when it was Class C. After we called and complained about the billing errors the called us the next day and "thanked" us for pointing out our "issues" and promptly reduced the bill.

I wonder how many times they "mistakenly" bill things wrong like that and people don't catch it?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Anxiety, you ask this about a country that couldn't even adopt the metric system when Canada did?

I recently had occassion to use my health insurance, and I thought how utterly inefficient and crazy the system is with thousands of different insurance plans.

When relatives tell me their health care system/insurance horror stories, they are the same horror stories politicians told us we'ld have if we had a system like Canada's!

I know people who have suffered worse problems from the medication they took, then from the reason for which it was prescribed. A trip to the doctor can be a pill shopping trip. Sadly strange that there are people suffering from being over/wrongly medicated, when there are people unable to get proper medication.

And, yes, there are too many billings for services not rendered (such as x-rays). Or this: one person I know was charged $210 for sitting in a small room (billed as a "doctor's office") as she waited for a non-invasive procedure in another room.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I agree with you anxietydisorder, why should a person, because of his financial situation suffer? America is truly a country of haves and haves not's. It's a shame that there are people dying of diseases that they cannot afford to have treated.
An even better idea would be to have universal health care for the world. I know, I'm dreaming out loud now.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by lorentrook
I agree with you anxietydisorder, why should a person, because of his financial situation suffer? America is truly a country of haves and haves not's. It's a shame that there are people dying of diseases that they cannot afford to have treated.
An even better idea would be to have universal health care for the world. I know, I'm dreaming out loud now.

Well said from your heart and your mind. Continue to dream, lorentrook. And share your dreams with others.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. —Margaret Mead

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Well Im ready for it....I voted against the party that as going to try to get a universal healthcare because of rich relatives who told me to vote the way they were. (I know its sad but my first votes when I was of age were greatly influenced by others).

Anyway, now I am stuck with NO healthcare why the rich relatives who told me to vote the way they did now have NEEDLESS surgeries and I cnat even see a dentist when I am in pain.

take my advice young folks...think for yourselves and for your interests because who ever is telling you to vote a certain way is certianly only out for theirs.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 01:21 AM
link   
It just amazes me when I look at the American health care system. I just find it hard to believe that one of the richest countries in the world would let their people lose everything over an operation. One sick child can destroy a family economicaly, not to mention the added emotional burden of trying to come up with the cash to cure that child.
I'm sure situations like this have torn families apart.

I know people that are very well off, as well as people at the bottom of the poverty heap, and each one of them gets the same medical care as the other.
Interesting note though, wealthy Canadians often cross over to the United States for an operation because money will put you at the head of the line. We do have waiting periods for some services because our system is reaching it's limit, and many of our doctors and nursing staff are finding more lucrative jobs in America.

Odd that a country like the U.S., with so many uninsured citizens, is buying up the brightest and best doctors from my country. Now we have to start bringing in people from Asia, India, and other countries to staff are hospitals and clinics.
My family doctor is from China, my previous doctor was from South Africa, my dentist is from India, and my shrink is from the Philippines.

These are all very competant people in their proffesion, but how long before they get a good offer and move to the States ???

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   
it would be nice if they did something about the healthcare system, and soon, well they are gonna have to do something about the healthcare system. too much of economy is destined to go bellyup because of the cost to keep this insane system running!!

and yes, the situation has torn families apart...
the child needs expensive medical treatment that the family cannot afford, many times the primary wage earner will leave the family so the child can have their needs met.

and well, there are many patients in this country, suffering from aids and other problems who are being told by their doctors to stop working and go on disablility so they can afford the medical care they need. they are productive citizens needlessly forced to become unproductive because of this crazy system.

and they gripe about us being more responsible, about "family values", but they can't see how the systems that have been created through the years is tearing the whole thing down.
it's sickening! they're should never be a circumstance where you are better off being non productive, or a broken up family.....but there is in america!! they want the government to be your husband, your father, your provider for all. soon, the government will provide for all, and well, will be in a position to demand that you work whatever minimum wage job they assign you to. cheap labor for the businesses!!

as far as countries having to import their medical professionals....ummm....don't look at the US as the culprit on that one. it's hard to find a doctor that can speak english clearly enough to understand even how to take the medicine he's prescribing here.

[edit on 5-9-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I don't understand the need for government sponsered medical insurance or health care.

I have been working for over 20 years in the United States. I have changed jobs several times. I have always taken a job with an employer that offers medical insurance.

I am no better than anyone else... If I can get a job that offers medical insurance why can't everyone?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Ever hear of the stay at home mom?? although insurance is rather reasonably priced for employees, family plans can blow a budget rather quickly. also, my boss has done some major shapeshifting to keep our healthplan at work from being too costly to him, or to us. he's opted for a higher deductable for us, but then he picks up half the tab. we have to pay for our perscriptions up front, but then we get some of that money reimbursed.....that's if we can come up with the money for the perscriptions to begin with....having to come up with $100 or so dollars for those little pills that keep you alive everymonth can also kill a budget rather quickly, especially the first month, after that well, you can just use the reimbursement to pay the next month. and, well, if you've been in the hospital recently, take a look at the itemized bill they send you, so how much money for services never rendered is on it, and the cost of those that were. there's alot of cheating and fraud in the system which just hikes the costs up more and more. if you want my opinion, the healthcare system is just a big scam designed to make a few rich, on the backs of the rest of us.

my son is trying to get into the military.....again. he wanted to get in while he was in high school but they refused him, ya see, he spent a large part of his childhood uninsured and well we never took him to a doctor unless he was really sick. he had asthma when he was a child but outgrew it, hadn't been to a doctor in years before this time. well, he didn't have the medical records to prove that the asthma wasn't a problem so they refused him then. well, they are working a little harder now to get him in. he has a close to minimum wage job with no insurance. well, the sent him to get a pft to certify that he is no longer asthmatic.....all I can say is that when it takes going over a thousand dollars in debt for the priveledge to serve in a war there's something drastically wrong with this picture!!!

also, and here's the clincher...
there are alot of hardworking men and women out there who are taxpayers. they don't qualify for assistance and they or their families are uninsured.. their taxes are going to pay for a lifestyle (healthcare) that they cannot afford. how can the government justly say to them, oh, we understand that you cannot afford the medical attention that you and your family needs, but well, we need to take this $5 or $10 here so that person down the street can have it for their family? espcecially if that $5 or $10 dollars might make the difference in weather or not a child might have the medication he or she needs to get through the school day, or worse, might be the difference between life or death. it isn't just or fair and quite frankly I'd venture to guess that it's a bit unconstitutional!
Personally, I don't care which way they go, but they should either drop the danged government handouts for healthcare for all but the seniors or they should take measure to guarentee that all are in a position to get it without going hopelessly into debt....
either way, you'd see the cost of healthcare drop dramatically and well, there's no reason for it to be this high to begin with....it's all a big scam, designed to make a few rich..

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
Ever hear of the stay at home mom??

I am glad you brought that up... it serves to illustrate a point I would like to make.

People make choices in life. Sometimes good, sometimes bad. The stay at home mother chose to have sex and to have a baby. In my opinion, that is a bad choice if you do not have medical insurance to care for your child. Why should my tax dollars go to pay for that person's bad choice in life?

my son... spent a large part of his childhood uninsured and well we never took him to a doctor unless he was really sick.

Whose fault is that?

[edit on 27-9-2006 by craig732]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:42 AM
link   
So....I take it I have one vote for the dropping of the govn't handouts for healthcare....GREAT!! I'll accept that...
by the way, it ain't no one's fault...just reality. but, well, it seems to a little odd, if my husband make a dollar or a little more an hour, it would have been affordable, if he had made a little less and hour, it would have been posible, but well....the simple fact is.....the same exact boy under slightly different circumstances would have had all the options open to him. so much for equal opportunity, huh??

by the way, if you are saying no one should have kids, unless they can afford to take care of their medical needs, ummm.....maybe only the really rich should be having kids?? get seriously ill, and then come back and talk to me.

and, when I had my kids, my husband was making more than he did most of the time they were growing up...the recession of the 80's kind of took a nice chunk out of his future wages!!

ya know, your whole rant is aimed at well, it's your fault, you should have made sure you could afford it....you deserve it.

mine is simply this.....no it isn't, society couldn't take those "who deserve it" getting their just rewards....so they shifted their just rewards onto us!

[edit on 27-9-2006 by dawnstar]

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   

ummm.....maybe only the really rich should be having kids??

I don't think only the really rich should be having kids, but if you cannot afford to provide for children then do not have them.

People are not discouraged from having children they cannot afford because they know that the government will be there to help them out with Medicaid, welfare, section 8, etc. I am tired of my tax dollars going to pay for someone else's poor choices in life.

get seriously ill, and then come back and talk to me.

I suffer from atrial fibrillation, sleep apnea, low HDL cholesterol, high blood pressure, torn ligaments in both knees, and a herniated disc in my cervical spine. Fortunately I have made good choices in my life. I chose to educate myself so I could always have a good paying job that had good medical benefits. I also chose not to have children. When the day comes that I am a burden to society in any way I will move on from this life to whatever comes next.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Do away with health insurance all together and prices will go down a lot. Also limit the amount of money a Doctor can be sued for.

Starting up a new government entitlement program will do nothing but screw up the whole medical system.

Anxiety, you/ Canadians are paying out a lot more in taxes also.

Roper

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Universal Health Insurance? No thanks, I'll take care of my own. Really don't feel like paying for everyone.

If it happens it will be just another power grab by government.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roper
Do away with health insurance all together and prices will go down a lot. Also limit the amount of money a Doctor can be sued for.

Starting up a new government entitlement program will do nothing but screw up the whole medical system.

Anxiety, you/ Canadians are paying out a lot more in taxes also.

Roper

I'm kind of in line with you on it. to have the reciever of the services also the ones responsible to the payment seems to me would do a great deal at keeping the prices at an affordable rate for the majority of the people. not to mention the cut in costs associated with the filing of all the insurance claims. then, maybe in really extreme cases, have some kind of lifeline available.
what we have now is rediculous!!! and it's liable to bring down the who house of cards is something isn't done. the costs of healthcare is killing households, businesses, county and state governments, and would probably be killing the federal government also is they actuallly had some kind of limit on just how much they can spend.
it seems to me that health insurance, government aide and such would have more of an inflationary affect than anything else. instead of the healthcare providers being content with what the people can pay, they seem to have an unlimited horizon to reach.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Oh yes, I would love to add an extra 20% to my taxes so that I can help pay for everyone to go to the hostpital for every minor injury. Oh, and of course any Mexican that wants some free HC as well. Ever been to an American hostpital? Our HC system would require much more as far as % of our wealth to fund. Social Security alone takes up a massive portion of our budget, lets add free HC in there as well. Less money for Americans means less purchasing power means lower economy means the world would feel our economic fall out, not to mention the possibility America could go bankrupt on trying to do such a task. Personally I don't like the socialistic ideas that Europe embraced (and canada) and in the end you could end up like poor France. Socialized themselves into a corner, now when the plans they put into place cannot be backed anymore the poor folks who counted on not having to actually do anything for free services, or actually working to keep a job riot.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted by anxietydisorder

The U.S. spends twice as much as [other] nations on health care, $7,129 per capita. Yet our system performs poorly in comparison and still leaves 46 million without health coverage and millions more inadequately covered.

This is because private insurance bureaucracy and paperwork consume one-third (31 percent) of every health care dollar. Streamlining payment though a single nonprofit payer would save more than $350 billion per year, enough to provide comprehensive, high-quality coverage for all Americans. [Edited by Don W]

Two rough rule-of-thumb indicators of the overall quality of a nations health are its infant mortality rate and its longevity. People are amazed to learned that Cuba, where the personal GDP is less than we spend per person on health care, nevertheless exceeds the US in favorable infant morality rate and is within 4 months of the US in longevity. Facts from CIA World Factbook. Their spelling, not mine.

Pres. Truman offered to introduce a copy of the Brits NHS - National Health Service - which by the way, cost Winston Churchill his premiership, and which more by the way, Margaret Thatcher did not undo in her record time as prime minster which ought to show those critics in the US that NHS is an indispensable national asset for Brits. And not the door to hell as the insurance, medical, hospital, pharmacy and Republicans would have you believe. The glue that holds those dissimilar industries together is their uniform resistance to CFR - genuine Campaign Finance Reform. Until Americans wise up and see how much they are not saving by letting private money pay 100% of America’s electoral scheme, they will continue to be horns waggled. Happy for the most part, but oh so gullible!

Hillary Clinton made another valiant effort to “regularize” our health care delivery system, but again, the unholy alliance of money and Republicans subverted the effort.

To listen to an author describe the one time in American history when we were able to act in our own behalf, I recommend you get up early (or set your recorder) to see the Monday, October 2, 2006, 5:40 AM program running for 1:15 min, on CSpan2 about the glorious first “100 Days of the New Deal.” Never equaled in the history of Congress, excepting the 1st Congress. See booktv.org.

[edit on 9/27/2006 by donwhite]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join