It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative asian society

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I'm from Singapore in the southeast asia region. I grew up in an conservative asian society and frankly, i hate it

Now dun get me wrong, i'm not saying conservatism is a bad thing. I'm saying too much of it makes it a living hell. Everyone is being so restrictive and they're not open-minded.
I see this everywhere, on the streets, at school, at home, in the education system and other areas

The older generation enforces this but we from the younger generation who are influenced by Western ideas rejects this. The older generation grew up with little exposure to the outside world so we can't totally blame them.

Eg.I'm a chinese but i dislike the chinese language simply due to the fact that i have no interest for it and dun intend to use it career-wise. I know people say that China is rapidly growing but i dun think i'll have any links to it. I'm not good at chinese and a good deal of my generation isn't good at it either. Thus, the only language subject we focus on is English.

Most of us wish that we have an education system like the one in America. Though academically we are better, our quality of school life sucks.
High school is suppose to be a memorable and fun experience. However, here it is a bore and a dread and it revolves only around studying.

Again, it's not a bad thing...But the government keeps pushing us and worst still, push us towards Math and Science. What about humanities? Aren't they equally important as well? Why is so much focus and attention like programs and awards given only to Math and Science. Surely they dun think that everyone is good or interested in that?

Honestly I'm 15 but that doesn't mean my friends and i can't think for ourselves

[edit on 4-9-2006 by judicator]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Yes, I'm sure being a conservative in Singapore is quite different than being one in the U.S. which, in turn, is different than being one in some European nations.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well I am from the US and had all my education in the US. The problem with kids here is most don't like to study and parents DON'T care. They are 2 opposite extremes.

You shouldn't have to live conservatively if you don't want to...I mean, our government right now is governed by "conservative", but our culture is very liberal. With Hollywood, the music, materialism (not that this is really liberal).

So which is worse? American culture/Western culture vs. Eastern cultures?

I think a middle ground is the best.

join