It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al Gore: The Next Reagan?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I was never a fan of Al Gore. I was a Republican and he was a Democrat (something I didn't care for). The stain of Clinton rubbed off on him in my eyes throughout Clinton's presidency so badly, that I could not see Gore for who he really was. For years.

I began taking another look at Gore around the time of his concession speech after "losing" the 2000 election. It was very strange. I was very impressed by his eloquence in defeat. I don't remember squat about DUHbya's acceptance speech, strangely enough. And I was happy (at the time) that Bush won. It was Al Gore's speech, though, that moved me. From that day forward, I took him seriously and listened to everything else he had to say.

Some time after 9-11, I began to care less and less about loyalty to party and partisanship. That made it easier to open up to things I had never paid attention to before.

When Bush began pushing for the invasion of Iraq, Gore stood up foresquare against it, unlike the vast majority of Democrats and Republicans. He had facts on his side, and real-world experience; he was also not beholden to any interests. He spoke out forcefully against it.

In the end, it was he who was right and the entire establishment has been wrong from day one. And he has great courage. In my opinion, only Wisconsin Senator Russ Feingold, (D.) has shown the same amount of courage and conviction to stand his ground. He doesn't have much of a shot at the white house, tho. Which brings me to the point of this post. If there was ever a man for the moment, that man was Ronald Reagan in 1980. But here and now we face a similar American moment. Al Gore is the man for this moment (2008).

Ronald Reagan was the last presidential aspirant I felt this way about. I think Al Gore could actually become a better president than even Reagan.

Read this essay on why Gore should be president and pass it around if you agree.

Brent Budowsky
Al Gore For President: The Man Meets The Moment

Imagine this: a President of the United States with vast domestic and international experience who would aspire to unify the American people, uplift a reformed American politics, and inspire friends of freedom and democracy everywhere.

Imagine: a President who would assume office with commander in chief quality experience who would be trusted on matters of war and peace; and with a temperament that respects

the breadth and diversity of the American Family and brings people together in common cause.
There will be other candidates for President who have much to offer and would deserve enthusiastic support. In my opinion, Al Gore is unique because of the extraordinary breadth of his experience, his ability to get ahead of the curve on cutting edge issues, and his vast knowledge that war and peace issues should be decided with integrity, clarity, and the full involvement of the American people, Congress, and allies.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

mod edit: Quote Reference (review link)

[edit on 5-9-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Al Gore.. the next Reagan.. well I never liked Reagan much but no.. not really I do not ever see Gore gaining the respect that Reagan had.

The only thing I like about Gore is his stance on the environment, though I think global warming might not be the real cause of climate change, he still at least tries to respect the environment.

Anything else on Gore I personally do not like, and I do not think he has the popularity to become president. Would he have been better then Bush? I don't know, we may or may not be in the same situation. The moment that defined Gore forever with me was when we walked up to Bush during a debate and looked like he was going to open a can of whoop ass on Bush, and Bush nodded to him and everyone laughed at Gore. The moment was important in my eyes because, to me anyways, a man with an uncontrollably temper and a bad attitude, and a man who cannot keep pose in front of people under pressure does not make a good leader in the eyes of foreign leaders. But that is my opinion, I am sure lots of Dems think he is a god send, and moderates may like him also..... not a Reagan though.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think life would have been different been Gore now in power, Reagan was no politician he just played one and was his best role of his entire career as an actor.

I will leave it at that, while Gore was gromed to be a political figure, he would have been a moderated president and more conservative than liberal.

Actualy he may have been all conservative.

But that we may never find out.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Al Gore has a lot going for him. Some negatives are:

He was VP under an administration that FIRED staffers Stephanopoulos and Reich (This is my interpretation of it) for referring to "corporate welfare," as if not talking about it would make it go away. Or rather Clinton did not want it to go away. The Washington money-insiders who hated him did so much like a pimp feuds with another who has stolen his employees from him. And an administration that ushered in the beginnings of the most massive buildup of mergers, trusts, and oligarchy this country has seen since the Age of the Robber Barons. In short, Clinton was a tool of the New World Order (only those aspects of it that actually exist, that is!) and Al worked for him without denouncing him. But maybe Al Gore was really sent to watch the fox who was mistakenly sent to watch the henhouse...

Your hero Reagan exhibited some competence in the more personality- and protocol-oriented attributes of leadership, such as good manners and a relaxed dignity, which is personable, even inspiring. Reagan appealed to a sort of "libertarianism lite" which was in the winds in those days... he had no good science advisors however, and allowed a lot of chicanery go on among the more money-grubbing members of the military-industrial complex, and he only seemed to know schoolboy history.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
a man with an uncontrollably temper and a bad attitude, and a man who cannot keep pose in front of people under pressure does not make a good leader in the eyes of foreign leaders

That's DUHbya Bush to a T.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I think life would have been different been Gore now in power, Reagan was no politician he just played one and was his best role of his entire career as an actor.

How would have life been different? 9/11 would have still occurred as it was in planning for long before 2000. 9/11 would have shaped a Gore presidency as much as it did Bush's. The economy was headed down even before 2000 and 9/11 made it even worse. There still would have been a Katrina with levee's that were never up to the task of such a storm. North Korea still would have been heading towards nuclear weapons and Afghanistan and Iraq and Libya would have been issues to deal with after 9/11. Iran was still covertly working on it nuclear program as well. I don't think it would have been much different or better or worse.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Originally posted by Rockpuck
a man with an uncontrollably temper and a bad attitude, and a man who cannot keep pose in front of people under pressure does not make a good leader in the eyes of foreign leaders

That's DUHbya Bush to a T.

Er, just know that I in no way support Bush, I do not support Gore at all, and I really don't see Bush as having a violent attitude under pressure.

He acts like a moron with no clue of the world and avoids questions all together.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by pavil
How would have life been different? 9/11 would have still occurred as it was in planning for long before 2000. 9/11 would have shaped a Gore presidency as much as it did Bush's. The economy was headed down even before 2000 and 9/11 made it even worse. There still would have been a Katrina with levee's that were never up to the task of such a storm. North Korea still would have been heading towards nuclear weapons and Afghanistan and Iraq and Libya would have been issues to deal with after 9/11. Iran was still covertly working on it nuclear program as well. I don't think it would have been much different or better or worse.

Life would be far different under a Gore administration. One only has to look at his past voting record, intellectual pursuits and policies that he has promoted to understand that.

I do not believe 9-11 would have happened had Gore been the president. Norad - probably the world's most dependable air defense system - failed on Rumsfeld's watch. Norad's failure was the key.

Even if it had happened, Gore would have pursued as robust a strategy to defeat whoever was responsible as any Republica ever would have. He just wouldn't have fallen for the whole WMD canard. He's far too experienced and informed to have been coaxed into attacking Iraq. On that count alone, our lives here and lives all over the world would be vastly different, and better right now if Al Gore had been president on 9-11.

Al Gore's foreign policy is realist, I'd even go so far as to call it moderate Republican. Remember, Gore was a hawk on defense back before all this insane pre-emption nonsense. How easily so many have forgotten our strong, realist policy from WW2 until 9-11.

Many other areas of our lives would be different, as well. I can almost guarantee that the price of gas at the pump would be much lower. That would come from his conservation policies and more friendly diplomatic relations.

Its not too late. If Gore actually ran and won, I think he could at least right some very important wrongs; bring back a certain level of bipartisanship; and restore much of the credibility and prestige our nation enjoyed not so long ago on the world stage, but have since lost under Bush.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   

How would have life been different? 9/11 would have still occurred as it was in planning for long before 2000. 9/11 would have shaped a Gore presidency as much as it did Bush's.

How can you posibly had know that? what make you think that perhaps the whole reson we got 9/11 was because Bush was in power.

And as for the economy during Clinto years my husband was doing fine with his one job.

Now in order to survive under the Bush administraiton he had to make double what he did.

Yes it sure looked mighty good before Bush and the Republicans in power.

Can you denied that the economy was bad during Clinton?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

How can you possibly had know that? what make you think that perhaps the whole reson we got 9/11 was because Bush was in power.

Do you honestly think Al Qaeda planned 9/11 in just 8 months? Open you eyes, they tried to take down the Wtc before and had been plotting for years to finish the job. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed had proposed the 9/11 attack to Bin Laden in 1996. In January of 2000 in Kuala Lumpur Al-Qaeda put the finishing touches on the Cole bombing and the 9/11 plot. The probability factor of them stopping the 9/11 attacks due to a Gore presidency were almost nil as Al-Qaeda had been a thorn in the side of the Clinton administration almost from day one.

Can you denied that the economy was bad during Clinton?

Reread what I wrote. I said that the US economy was already headed down prior to Bush taking office. The slowdown started in the the second half of 2000 but signs were there earlier in that year as well. Go research it. I did not say the economy was bad the whole time.

As for you having to earn twice as much to live the same way I don't have an answer for you as inflation each year was:

2000 Clinton Last year: 3.38%
2001 2.83%
2002 1.59%
2003 2.27%
2004 2.68%
2005 3.39%

Yes we did go through a recession/downturn.
It was already heading that way by mid 2000. Bush inherited it, he did not create it.
September 11 did not help matters in that regard.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Gore is gone (thank goodness). He's finished. He got caught in too many lies during the debates in 2000. (as opposed to other politicians who don't get caught
)

Gore is done. He's a public joke. Him and his 'internet inventing buddies' are history.

Don't look back. Look to the future. Find a good candidate and run with him or her. Heck .. find someone who ISN"T a candidate yet and kick 'em in the seat and get them going for 2012.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Do you honestly think Al Qaeda planned 9/11 in just 8 months? Open you eyes, they tried to take down the Wtc before and had been plotting for years to finish the job. Khalid Sheikh Mohammed had proposed the 9/11 attack to Bin Laden in 1996. In January of 2000 in Kuala Lumpur Al-Qaeda put the finishing touches on the Cole bombing and the 9/11 plot. The probability factor of them stopping the 9/11 attacks due to a Gore presidency were almost nil as Al-Qaeda had been a thorn in the side of the Clinton administration almost from day one.

You have so swallowed a fiction.:shk:

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Gore is gone (thank goodness). He's finished. He got caught in too many lies during the debates in 2000. (as opposed to other politicians who don't get caught
)

What lies?Got transcripts?

Gore is done. He's a public joke. Him and his 'internet inventing buddies' are history.

Do you even know that was a media fabrication (that Gore claimed to have invented the internet)? Probly not. Most people don't.

Give me three good reasons why Gore would not make a good president. I don't think you can.

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
What lies?

Here's a few pages of lies from Al Gore (serial liar Al Gore) -
www.nationalreview.com...
www.gargaro.com...

And Al Gore's quote about creating the internet -

" During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet" - interview with Wolf Blitzer on CNN on March 9, 1999.
Transcript www.wired.com...

EastCoast ... don't feel bad. All politicians lie. Gore is just worse at telling lies than most of the others.

[edit on 9/8/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 13 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
There will only ever be one Reagan.
I just wanted to add that I saw an interview with Al Gore on an New Zealand current affairs show. Gore seemed asured of himself and gave intelligent answers to questions including the questions related to the medias coverage of global warming.
It was a refreashing change from Bushs divisive mumbo jumbo.

new topics

top topics

join