It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Dems win back the Congress and WH?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Let's think about the unthinkable for a moment: Suppose over the next few years, the American public lost all semblance of sanity, and the Democrats regained control of the House, the Senate, and the Presidency.

What do you see as a change in the direction the country would take?

Would they begin to negotiate with terrorists?
Would they cut and run from Iraq?
Would taxes rise?
Would amnesty be granted to illegal immigrants?

Since the sum total of their policy for the past 6 years has been to criticize Bush, what would be their specific plans?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Hmmm.. First off, I hope they'll launch a full investigation of the current administration's actions over the last 6 years and pass a law while they're at it, that nullifies all of Bush's "signing statements". Another law to prevent Bush from pardoning anybody on leaving office, and just for fun a law allowing the seizure of elected official's assets if convicted of corruption or conspiracy.

All that can be going on while we're apologizing to the Iraqis and Afghans for destroying their countries - Afghanistan on the pretense of wanting UBL for 9-11 when we now admit not even having enough evidence against him to put on a wanted poster. Iraq on the pretense that they were actively manufacturing WMD and were an imminent threat to us.

Change the tax laws? Sure, we have an 8 trillion dollar debt to repay and unless you want to experience life in a third world country without changing your address, you better be prepared to pony up some more tax dollars.

Terrorists and illegal immigrants can be dealt with in a number of ways, none the exclusive intellectual property of a political party. I don't know what they'll choose to do but they have the added advantage of knowing now what doesn't work.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Democrats in control of the House, Senate and the Presidency? What a nightmare! Please wake me up!

This is how I see that nightmare senario.

Cut and run from Iraq begins slowly but steadily. Democrats don't want to be too obvious about it. Iraq basically becomes part of Iran, combining to create a large terrorist safehaven. Democrats will blame Bush.

The United States safety and security from terrorist attacks disappears overnight. The terrorists see the 2006 and 2008 election results as a sign of weakness and a big terrorist attack would be inevitable. After the inevitable, the Democrats will label the attack a "crime" and seek to bring the "individuals" to justice. Democrats will blame Bush.

Minimum wage would be increased, but the minimum wage earners see a loss of jobs, because in addition to the minimum wage increase, there will also be an increase in taxes. A double whammy to the small business owners. Unemplyment goes from 4.7% to 6.5%. Democrats will blame Bush.

New laws would give convicted felons the right to vote, illegal immigrants given amnesty so they would be allowed to vote. This would create more voters for Democrats, who are desperate for them. Of course Democrats will still continue to blame Bush.

But of course this is all a nightmare. When it comes down to it, there is a huge block of voters called the "Silent Majority" who, like in 2004, knows better and won't allow this to happen!

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
Hmmm.. First off, I hope they'll launch a full investigation of the current administration's actions over the last 6 years and pass a law while they're at it, that nullifies all of Bush's "signing statements". Another law to prevent Bush from pardoning anybody on leaving office, and just for fun a law allowing the seizure of elected official's assets if convicted of corruption or conspiracy.

This is just an extension of their policy of "critcize Bush". And it is pointless. Signing statements are perfectly legal, and if you want to talk presidential pardons, let's not forget Marc Rich, et al.

All that can be going on while we're apologizing to the Iraqis and Afghans for destroying their countries

I expected that this would be a key goal. While the Dems have a long list of well-qualified candidates, I think that John Kerry's past would make him exceptionally qualified for the position of Chief Groveller and Apologist..

Terrorists and illegal immigrants can be dealt with in a number of ways, none the exclusive intellectual property of a political party. I don't know what they'll choose to do but they have the added advantage of knowing now what doesn't work.

Unfortunately, they don't know what will or won't work since a) they haven't proposed and pushed any solutions, and b) they have limited their efforts to stonewalling anything that the Republicans propose.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:58 AM
link   
First of all Js US is suppose to be a democracy and American people has the right to take or leave any political parties they feel compel to change because of how they feel about the way they country is run.

I feel offended by your introduction.

But to answer that question I will say that I am ready for a change in the perspective of how the war on terror is run about the middle east and the issues surrounding that region.

After all 9/11 happen under the Republican party regime.

Also I will like more domestic issues been taken priority and our borders more secure.

I want changes and obviously we all know the Republican Party agenda it has been player like a book, wars and more wars.

For once I want to hold to a littler bid of hope and I will be as critical as I have been of the present administration if a change in the white house doesn’t bring anything but more sorrows.

Does that sounds so horrific?

BTW if Bush were doing such a wonderful job he would no be so critized at all and he would have some good points to his administration but everything so far looks grim.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
First of all Js US is suppose to be a democracy and American people has the right to take or leave any political parties they feel compel to change because of how they feel about the way they country is run.

I feel offended by your introduction.

Let me ask you this, marg: are you offended by the dozens of threads that have attacked the policies and the persons of this current administration? I have never seen you object to a single Bush-bashing topic - you've been right in there with the best of them.

So, your "offense" is hypocritical and baseless.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   

After all 9/11 happen under the Republican party regime.

Please. It started under Clinton's rule because he did nothing to stop it.

Also I will like more domestic issues been taken priority and our borders more secure.

One of the most pressing issues we face is Social Security reform. Do you remember at the State of the Union address where Hillary Clinton stood up and applauded the fact that the Democrats had managed to stifle any talk of reform? Don't blame the Republicans.

As for illegal immigration, compare the stances of Republican Tom Tancredo and Democrat Teddy Kennedy. 'Nuff said.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I still offended by the way that me voting may look into your opinion. Very simple.

As for the issues in this country I see nothing new that may come with Republicans holding congress but at least I can hold to a bit of hope if congress change.

Is that is so like you said unthinkable and me losing my sanity? because I want somehting new and hopes for better polices and the future of my nation and my grandchildren future.

At least I have hopes.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Is that is so like you said unthinkable and me losing my sanity? because I want somehting new and hopes for better polices and the future of my nation and my grandchildren future.

Oh, c'mon, marg, that was said in jest, as far as you know.

At least I have hopes.

Don't we all?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I want to know what exactly the democrats want to do for the problems that have occurred over the years and have gotten worse with this administration.

What is their plan for Iraq?
What is their plan for alternative energy sources?
What is their plan for illegal immigration?
What is their plan for inflation?

This is what I would like to know. They just have the banner "look how bad this congress and administration is, vote for us instead". Well what exactly are you going to DO. Nothing has been defined.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Oh, c'mon, marg, that was said in jest, as far as you know.

I am glad Js you got me worry for a bit there, I know you didn't wanted to sound mean.

I want changes, but I am still waiting to see what the other parties have to said.

Right now to me the whole middle east issue has been so scramble for agendas that is difficult to understand what one thing has to do with the other one.

When it comes to the big task of fighting terror.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
This is what I would like to know. They just have the banner "look how bad this congress and administration is, vote for us instead". Well what exactly are you going to DO. Nothing has been defined.

That's a good post there RR, I would also like to hear the answers to those questions. Your post also reminds me of this quote, "Hindsight alone is not wisdom, and second-guessing is not a strategy."

BTW jso, I will be devastated if they do win back all three, this country would suffer tremendously.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Lets see, Ive survived 6 years of the pure fascist, theocratic, and corrupt evil that is the neo-Conservative government. If dems won, does anyone REALLY think anything signifigant or important will change? They will serve up the same package wrapped differently.

Anyone who REALLY thinks that dems and republicans are different enemies needs to wake up and smell reality.

I honestly dont think there could be a worse, more un-American and anti-constitutional government than the one we have now, at least not without an offical declariation of dictatorship and loss of the constitution.

Democrats in office? When I see them overturn the Patriot act and all of its demon spawned bills, end the spying on and invasion of peoples privacy, brings home all American troops on foreign soil to regulate our southern border, creates more sensible immigration, stops supporting israel, Saudi Arabia, and other loser governments who plot against us in many ways, get back to the constitution, and close down half of the unecessary burocratic frankensteins in the federal government, then I will believe the dems are a better choice.

Until then, they are the same evil scumbags that the neo-conservative republican wannabe nazis are.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

All that can be going on while we're apologizing to the Iraqis and Afghans for destroying their countries - Afghanistan on the pretense of wanting UBL for 9-11 when we now admit not even having enough evidence against him to put on a wanted poster. Iraq on the pretense that they were actively manufacturing WMD and were an imminent threat to us.

Change the tax laws? Sure, we have an 8 trillion dollar debt to repay and unless you want to experience life in a third world country without changing your address, you better be prepared to pony up some more tax dollars.

I sincerly hope they investigate Bush's administration. I doubt they will.. I doubt anyone ever will because I feel more then Republicans where involved. Remember that the same companies who bought out the white house have bought out the left side of the isle as well. They are no saint nor heros for this country.. same person under a new mask.

Will they cut and run? No.. there would be public out cry from a move like that, just not popular enough no matter how hard they try and make it seem. They will simply finish, hopefully allow the generals to run the war the right way though instead of like Bush.

Inflation - nothing
ecology - nothing
new feul sources - refer to first paragraph
new taxes - most likely but sadly needed
government corruption - please..
made me smile there..
corporate scandles and corruption - ...nope nothing there either...
abortion - hot topic which will be debated blah blah.. nothing
imigration - not a thing, to contriversial
national debt - spend the same amount on different crap
education - our failed system will fail again. We love our proud F's here in the states
national security - budget cuts to spend on some politically correct program that will be inefective
iraq budget - I see that being cut as well, not good for troops

We have been minipulated and controled by both sides. Neither side WANTS things done as it goes against the real agenda. Nothing. A do nothing congress.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I ask what the liberal [democrate] members think that the plan should be when the admistration leaves.

The Dems don't have a plan all they do is Bush-bash
it's always easier to blam than to do.

Do you older members remember way back when the parties would only bicker and hate during elections, but after they would get to work,man those were the good ol'days

TRw

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Will they cut and run? No.. there would be public out cry from a move like that, just not popular enough no matter how hard they try and make it seem. They will simply finish, hopefully allow the generals to run the war the right way though instead of like Bush.

Unfortunately, there is a small but very vocal segment of the American public who have managed to tie one hand behind the military's back. We are forced to wage a PC war, and that's not Bush's doing. This segment will be energized by a victory at the polls, and will push to but a blindfold on the military, in adition to the hand tied behind their back.

Leaks will develop that result in the NYT publishing our strategies to the enemy. The authors will be hailed as "True Patriots" and nominated for the Pulitzer Prize. We will exit Iraq much as Russia left Afghanistan - in shame, while the population throws rocks at the backs of our soldiers. The military cannot fight back, because they have been disarmed, as negotiated by Kofi Annan. No country in the world will ever trust us again to keep our word.

Inflation - nothing

I'm not sure how old you are, but under Jimmy Carter, the US inflation rate was 13.48%. In 2005, it was 3.41%

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Result_was
Do you older members remember way back when the parties would only bicker and hate during elections, but after they would get to work,man those were the good ol'days

TRw

That my friend was a long time ago when politicians did not sell their souls to the private interest.

Yes they always had their private agendas but they would not ignore the population.

Now they don't even have to listen to us anymore.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I'm not sure how old you are, but under Jimmy Carter, the US inflation rate was 13.48%. In 2005, it was 3.41%

I am 20.

In 2005 the fed told you that inflation was 3.14% and I will tell you that the Fed is lieing through their teeth.

Rich are richer, poor are poorer and the middle is more strained then in the past few decades. The middle class, which keeps the economy affloat through their consumer attitude. The average man making 50K a year in 1996 could buy much more with that income then the same man making the same amount in 2006. That is a fact, look at the Feds release of the American savings accounts.

www.cbsnews.com...
Now, I am not in economics but when one says inflation I personally think of how much goods you get for you buck. Rising gas leading to higher food prices because farmers spend more on gas, more on anything transported. In my city here a small town had to cancel their road production because the price of assphault went up 2 fold this year, they got half the assphalt that they originally would have been able to get.

Sorry, rambling. My entire point being economically wise Bush says more jobs more money and all that good stuff we love to hear. I don't see it, where did it go, where are those jobs at, high paying jobs, high tech jobs, or are they low paying orchard picking jobs...???

Prices go up but wages have not.

Also, me not being an economist how does the average inflation increase work exactly? Do you add the average of 2000-2006 and that is the ammount it raised since 2000? that would be 16.14% from 2000-2005 increase, or is there some other way to calculate that.. should have stayed awake in class eh?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
A rose by any other name...

Would still stink. Democrats will repackage the same crap differently, make the poor happy by handing them an extra $10, and the NWO will rock on....

The way to have prevented this whole nightmare (that is, if it could have been stopped, keeping in mind they cheated on the votes) was to not have let a Bush into office. Since that didnt happen, i'd say we're @#$%.

And for those who voted for the man:
(cause you believe they didnt cheat. Remember?)

[edit on 4-9-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I must agree with Skadi and Dgtempe on this one. I personally don't think there's much of a difference between the two parties. I am absolutly disgusted to see democrats and republicans fight against each other the way they do.

I thought the idea was that we all have different ideas and opinions to offer to the table and work together to make this country a better place. Now it just seems like everyone is fighting on the side of either republican or democrat just for the sake of fighting when really neither one is better than the other in my opinion.

So in short, if Dems gain control of the congress, senate, and white house...it will just be the same bull, different day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join