It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Analysis Shows Threat Of Global Terrorism Might Be Lower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The U.S. Justice Department arrests and prosecutions of terrorism cases surged after the Sept. Eleventh attacks. Since then there has been a steady decline in international terrorism cases. According to an independent analysis of government data. The study was done by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse which is affiliated with Syracuse University. The study also shows that ninety percent of terrorism investigations don not end in prosecutions, of the remainder about one-third and convicted. The report did call this decline in prosecutions "unexpected."

www.washingtonpost.com
Justice Department prosecutions of international terrorism cases, which surged in volume after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, have nearly returned to the levels seen prior to the hijackings, according to an independent analysis of government data released yesterday.

The study of data by the Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse (TRAC), an affiliate of Syracuse University in New York, also showed that as many as nine out of 10 terrorism investigations do not result in prosecutions, that most charges are not related to terrorism and that only about a third of those prosecuted end up in prison.

The findings, based on data compiled by the Justice Department's Executive Office for United States Attorneys, echo previous analyses by The Washington Post and others showing that most defendants in terrorism cases are charged with crimes unrelated to terrorism and that many serve little or no prison time.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

When I first read this I was a little conflicted. I did not know weather I should be happy that they are saying there is less terrorism going on, or should I be worried, that less terrorists are being arrested. About all people really half to do is look at the news and release that there is still plenty of terrorism going on in the world. Which brings me to think, is it possible that the terrorists are just getting a little better at hiding from the authorities then they had been in the few preceding years? For the time being, I must say that I think the terrorists are still there doing what they do.

Related News Links:
www.iht.com
www.foxnews.com
www.forbes.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Fears of Terrorism Hide Real Biological Attack, Assault on Voting Rights
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Who's next in the war on terrorism?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
This is another story on the same topic that talks about how the arrests do not really tell the story about fighting the war on terror.

Something very odd is going on in the FBI, other federal law enforcement agencies, the Justice Department and perhaps the federal courts too. Most people arrested on charges related to suspected terrorist activities aren’t being prosecuted.

The Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University, a watchdog group that often concentrates on the Justice Department, examined the records of 6,472 terrorism-connected federal cases started since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Some 64 percent of the 4,910 “disposed of” were not prosecuted; another 9 percent were acquitted or saw charges dropped. (These cases do not include prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.)
sorce materal

join