It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first fall...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Dear, Dear me!!

First off all let me start with I AM ok, I'm still breathing and amazingly nothing is broke!!!

On thursday I rode a 3year old ex racehorse. I took it for a walk up a road and all of the sudden for no reason it bolted on me
. I was more worried about the effects of galloping on concrete for the horses hoves than myself but there was no way I could stop her...

she tried to take me into a field (which would mean youd never see me again lol) so I steered her away, then once she realised she wanted to be in there she ran for the fence, but realised she couldn't jump it and skidded. I slid straight off the side (Shes 16.1 hands high and i'm like 5foot 1 or 2 so it's a very long fall - her back is a lot higher than my head) Straight onto concrete, She proceded to kick me in the head and face as she galloped away.

I've got off with a badly bruised and cut left hip all the way down to just below the knee, right knee, left arm, A very stiff neck (from the force of the kick), A hoofprint on my face, and I did get knocked out so my head is amazingly sore. I can just start to walk again better now, i'm very stiff and sore, cant move my left leg towards the inside if that makes sence and cant move my left arm back.

I was wearing a hat thank god but, stupidly, I wasn't wearing a body protector.

Anywho the rant... the woman then proceeds to tell me that she hasnt been ridden in 6weeks. at 3years old if they are ridden they need to be ridden a lot. I have never rode a racehorse before either so how was I the right person to ride it?!!

She then tells me I am most certainly not ready to own a horse. How in Gods name does me arriving at a yard, being told i can ride a horse, getting on, getting bolted with and falling off when the horse skidded prove in any way shape or form that I am not ready to own a horse!??!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Anywho for anyone worrying, I'm in a awful lot of pain but I'm alive and thats all that matters!

Blue xxx

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Hi Crooked,
Good morning.
Happy you are in one piece.
I ride dressage but hardly ever have access to a horse, though a good friend breeds and trains horses for Event.
She offers me to ride but I'd kill my self if I ruined one of her baby's.

Well, please don't feel bad that person was stupid and ignorant as many animal people are. They expect the poor creatures to work like machines.
"Oh, we'll just keep it all nice and shiny in the garage and have it run a little spin to show off:bnghd:."
Were you considering buying the horse? At least you took time to look at it live.
My friend is boarding a horse a spoiled rich B. atch purchased on the Internet.
, the horse, very expensive travelled 4 hours by plane, landed and turned out to be a complete nut case. It HATES humans.
So they fly it across the country again to a prestigious rehabilitator because my friend was too busy to undertake the project.
Horse doesn't respond, back again.
Horse is now boarded and trained on a daily basis, but it will still if all goes well take a year or so before it is safe.
Now I am calculating. Horse boarded and trained $800.00 a month, cruising around the country by jet. $$$$. This lady could have bought a farm and several good horses for the same price if she had used some comen sense.
Not to speak of the immoral person selling a lethal weapon.
But no let's surf the Internet it is sooooo convenient.

Here's a bit of advice. ALWAYS have the owner show you the horse first. Observe closely how they handle it. Have them handle it on the ground and in the saddle.
Have her groom it.
Make them ride, on blacktop, and out of the arena or field.
If the horse is saddled, ready and tired when you arrive be suspicious and make a new appointment. Don't buy their excuse that they want to make it comfortable for you.
Be there from the point the horse is taken from either the field or stable.
Don't attempt to handle the horse before you have seen how it reacts to the owner.
WIS
Get Well

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Yeah I know what to do when buying a horse. I was just down there looking around and talking to her about how i'd like to own one. She was like well would you like to come for a little walk up the lane with me then? and got 2 horses out for us. I wouldnt of even thought of buying her, her stable manners were appauling!

I love dressage

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Oh, darn I didn't want to be condescending. I should not have assumed you didn't know what you were doing.
Sorry, you took it nicely though.
I'll just go proceed to shoot myself
, how terribly stupid.
WIS

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Dont be so silly

It was a stupid thing to do. I think it has made me realise to be more careful, sometimes I grab a horse in from the field, jump on bareback with no hat and the horse just in a headcollar. Yes, I trust and know them horses, I know they would never dream of bolting with me. But if something spooked them and they did, that would be the end of me if i fell off like that without a hat!

Young and fearless I guess
!!!

(edit: I cant type)

[edit on 4/9/06 by crookedblue]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Oh yeah

To add insult to injury...

My riding hat is now useless after the kick it got. I got it as a christmas pressie, I loved that hat!

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   
shall i shoot the unruly beast for you?

lol,lol,lol...im joking bluey darling...

glad your ok...stuff the women with her smart coments, you get em like that, ive been around so many race horses over the years and both them and their owners tend to be unpredictable.

heal up and get back on.

x

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Hehehe I got back on a horse today.

Took Jack for a walk around the village, can't do much more cause i'm still in pain.

Turns out I have concussion and a swelled+Bruised hip joint or something

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
pictures crookedblue on horse

HEHEHE!!! Kidding.. Did you go to hospital yet badgirl?

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hahaha I LOVE that pic lol.. meanie

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hi Crooked, so how ya doin now?? fellin any better??

Love the pic Agent T!!!

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I'm much better thankoo!

Rode properly on sunday! Took the horse I learnt to ride on into the school and was cantering round back to my usual self
Was a little nervous at first but it's all good!

new topics

top topics

join