It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodile Hunter killed by StingRay - (some questions)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I know this has been brought up in the news thread, however this is dealing with the peculiar way in which he died, hence posting in a different forum more conspiracy related.

Most of us know stingrays from the aquarium and wonder how Steves fate was to a ray and not to a crocodile.

It can be said that stingrays in the aquarium have their "barbs" with poison taken off.

However the very nature, from what I have read, of stingrays, is that they are not aggressive and typically only sting when stepped on. (This went in his heart.) Also, one site went as far to say they cant sting when swimming.

jrscience.wcp.muohio.edu

This action by the stingray is only taken when stepped on or threatened and cornered. In fact it cannot sting while swimming. The tail and barbs are a defensive weapon only. It is never used to kill its food.

mote.org

However, it should be pointed out that the sting is purely a defensive weapon only and that the "striking" action is an involuntary response rather than a conscious "attack."

So, if this is true, that they cant sting while swimming, along with the fact they they have an involuntary responce when in danger, but never aggressively attack, then Steve would have had to be scuba diving over a ray laying on the bottom and dropped something on it so that the barb would go up and puncture his heart.

He was filming, so if they ever release that, then we will know.

Again, Im not a Ray expert, so anyone who knows first hand more about this, feel free to comment. It was just strange seeing a photo of him holding a croc and then reading a death by the sting ray. It could come down to common carelessness...how one gets to relaxed when one does not feel the same "danger" or "threat" that they usually have, say from a croc.

Anyway

Peace

Dalen

mod edit to use "ex" tags instead of "quote" tags
Quote Reference.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I would say that he held it up for the camera to see underneath the ray or something and in defensive response it flexed its tail upwards which would have been backwards towards his chest. but that is purely speculation on my part.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:16 AM
link   
They just interviewed someone on TV here in Australia who wsa on the boat at the time.

Apprently he dived in not knowing the ray was there and landed right on top of it.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
I would say that he held it up for the camera to see underneath the ray or something and in defensive response it flexed its tail upwards which would have been backwards towards his chest. but that is purely speculation on my part.

You have a good point...he was known for going over the edge and doing that which normally would not be done.

I guess I was coming at it from "normal circumstances" where one is not trying to hold the animal.
To bad to hear the news...like everyone else, i was quite surprised...

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by mulberryblueshimmer
They just interviewed someone on TV here in Australia who wsa on the boat at the time.

Apprently he dived in not knowing the ray was there and landed right on top of it.

That seems a bit awkward...but I suppose its feasible even if its true "Rays" can only sting while not swimming. (See link to article in first post.)
It appears that it requires a force on top of the ray to activate the defence mechanism.

However, dont divers usually "roll" in backwards from the boat when diving?
This way the back, not the chest would have been punctured.
They dont dive like one does in a swimming pool.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Ahhhh! now that i can imagine,it would have to be a bazaar incident such as that,i`ve been having a lot of trouble imagining how it could have occurred.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gps777
Ahhhh! now that i can imagine,it would have to be a bazaar incident such as that,i`ve been having a lot of trouble imagining how it could have occurred.

Yes, but if you dive in properly, rolling backwards, your back hits it...not your chest.
Or so it would appear.

peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen

Yes, but if you dive in properly, rolling backwards, your back hits it...not your chest.
Or so it would appear.

peace

Dalen

Yes i saw your post and that makes perfect sense.Though i just heard that he was stung whilst swimming with a largish ray,not a diving accident.
Cheers for your heads up

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Just came across this thread after I posted in the news forum.

On the note of how bizarre this incident was the injury to his chest isn’t as difficult to happen as it may seem. Stingrays, or at least the one that killed him, can flex their tails over their head to attack their target.

Caller on Triple J radio:
I work on a trawler in the Gulf of Carpentaria and whilst working there I come across stingrays quite often as they get caught in the nets. I remember on my first day on the job a ray got dragged on board and I went to take a closer look at it. Immediately my skipper told me tot to get any closer to it. He said "this is what would happen if you touched it," he grabbed a broom stick and prodded it between the eyes. The ray brought its tail up over its head and struck the broom stick dead in the center.

Given the appropriate circumstances, this accident could be quite possible. Along with the barb its self which is around nine inches long on this particular species of stingray.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

However, dont divers usually "roll" in backwards from the boat when diving?
This way the back, not the chest would have been punctured.
They dont dive like one does in a swimming pool.

Peace

Dalen

As we all know Steve would not roll in ,Ah I can see him now star jumping into the blue yonder.

RIP Steve,he was one cool guy.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
~~

i'll wait for the autopsy report

in the meanwhile i'll quietly speculate that the sting-ray 'barb'
could rather have been a blow gun dart
or even a hypodermic needle
and the man was 'done-away-with' by some plotters

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
~~

i'll wait for the autopsy report

in the meanwhile i'll quietly speculate that the sting-ray 'barb'
could rather have been a blow gun dart
or even a hypodermic needle
and the man was 'done-away-with' by some plotters

Why would somone want to off Steve?
There is just no reason I can see.
He was a fun loving guy who enjoyed his job,His enthusiasm spillled out of the screen.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by funny_pom
On the note of how bizarre this incident was the injury to his chest isn’t as difficult to happen as it may seem. Stingrays, or at least the one that killed him, can flex their tails over their head to attack their target.

About attacking target please not the quotes on the top of the page. (Which is why it seems strange) Others seem to agree at how odd it is...referring to it as extraordinarily bad luck...tell me about it, very unfortunate indeed.

www.cbsnews.com...

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:04 AM
link   
there is no conspiracy here guys, its just a freak accident.
in a few pages from now someone is going to link this incident to al quida , CIA or aliens. gees.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:08 AM
link   

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.
Peace

Dalen

To be killed by one is very rare....Not impossible.
It was an accident .

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
i agree with this entirely. even though in the last 10 years only one person was killed by a stingray the danger is still high. he probebly slid off the boat into the water and hit his hand on the rays face, which caused it ti defencivly attack which, of all places, hit him in the chest.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kuhl
To be killed by one is very rare....Not impossible.
It was an accident .

True nothing is impossible, but when I was reading the same article and it said it hit him directly in the heart...thats some really bad odds.

Not trying to make this into more than it is...its a tragedy period.

It was just interesting what & how the events transpired as this indeed is such a rare occurence it makes you wonder how it happened.

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by funny_pom
i agree with this entirely. even though in the last 10 years only one person was killed by a stingray the danger is still high. he probebly slid off the boat into the water and hit his hand on the rays face, which caused it ti defencivly attack which, of all places, hit him in the chest.

This makes perfect sense...my only problem was with the link I posted at the beginning that says they do not attack while swimming...so trying to understand better under what circumstances he got stung directly in the heart as many articles make it seem almost impossible. (almost is the key word)

Peace

Dalen

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Well i was completely wrong in my assumption, the video has been reviewed and here is what happened supposedly.

Producer, director and life-long friend John Stainton yesterday said Irwin did not provoke the stingray and was simply swimming above it when he was attacked.

"He came over the top of a stingray and the stingray barb went up and into his chest and into his heart," producer Stainton said.

"He was up in the shallow water, probably 1.5m to 2m deep, following a bull ray which was about a metre across the body - probably weighing about 100kg, and it had quite a large spine. The cameraman was filming in the water."

Mr Cropp said the stingray was spooked and went into defensive mood.

"It probably felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead, and it felt there was danger and it baulked.

"It stopped and went into a defensive mode and swung its tail with the spike.

"Steve unfortunately was in a bad position and copped it.

"I have had that happen to me, and I can visualise it - when a ray goes into defensive, you get out of the way.

"Steve was so close he could not get away, so if you can imagine it - being right beside the ray and it swinging its spine upwards from underneath Steve - and it hit him.

"I have seen that sort of reaction with rays - with their tail breaking the water, such is the force."

Go here to read the whole thing.

Video review

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 10:15 AM
link   
It was reported that he was snorkeling at the time which makes it feasible that he dove in instead of rolling in backwards like a scuba diver would.

More information here: www.thisislondon.co.uk...'voyeuristic+wildlife+TV'/article.do

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join