It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion on political topics not allowed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If those are not allowed would esoteric talks be allowed? Or is there like an allegorical method of converse allowed? I just wonder if this is pushing buttons in a lodge? Also philospohical debate and converse can teeter on religion, would this be a looked down area as well? When I visted a lodge once and brought up some philosopical converse and got close to something or other I was reminded that there is no talk allowed. This was in form of philosophical question mind you. Nothing like talking about a sect or belief.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Are you referring to religion/political topics being discussed in a masonic lodge or discussed on ATS? If you are talking about ATS, there are forums on PTS for that which are quite suitable for such things. If you are talking about a masonic lodge, I'm not really sure what their rules would be, but I think that their official position is to be neutral on such things, except that you have to have belief in some kind of God.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Assuming that you mean such conversation in a masonic lodge: it's a touchy subject with most members... the rules are there to promote unity within the brotherhood, but the line gets blurred.

There is merit in talking about history... but one cannot talk too much about history, before it intertwines with politics.

There is merit in talking about philosophy... but one cannot talk too much about philosophy, before it intertwines with religion.

The most rational explanation I've heard is that common sense should be one's guide... don't preach, and you're safe.

Of course, when confronted with a grey area, most folks choose to err totally on the safe side... and it's things like that which get conspiracy theories going.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by masonite
If those are not allowed would esoteric talks be allowed? Or is there like an allegorical method of converse allowed? I just wonder if this is pushing buttons in a lodge? Also philospohical debate and converse can teeter on religion, would this be a looked down area as well? When I visted a lodge once and brought up some philosopical converse and got close to something or other I was reminded that there is no talk allowed. This was in form of philosophical question mind you. Nothing like talking about a sect or belief.

Religious and political arguments are not allowed in the Lodge. Philosophy is fine...in fact, it's what Masonry is founded upon. Should such a topic degenerate into sectarian argument, it is the duty of the Worshipful Master to end the debate.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
i would agree that it is better to err on the safe side, as you have no doubt seen here it doesnt take much for debate and discussion to degenerate to rants and arguments, and the men of the lodge dont want to be in dispute with their brothers, and so rather then agreeing to disagree, they choose rather to agree to keep it to themselves, this is not to say that masons dont discuss such things.. but rather that they simply keep it out of the lodge

top topics

join