It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

imagine this, ONE MILLION rounds per minute

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:19 PM
link   
[edit on 19-9-2006 by Ford Farmer]

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
but what happens if you point the weapon at the ground? will the bullets fall out?

Also what happens if a sniper shoots out the precious computer. Or better yet I wonder what one million rounds would do, If they were hit by an RPG

posted on Oct, 5 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If you think about it this weapon is probley one of the best in the world.And smartet.It can fire bullets or even grenades.I hope the military has enough commen sence to see this as a weapon of great importantce and will use it..but noing the govermint thats not likeley lol..anyways i found some videos...first one is awsome...afater the comerical
i think theay would be smart to use this way of fireing bullets for rifels and not just pistols and turets.....i bet special forces would love tohave rifels that shoot that fast and strong....snipers would never miss...EVER!...the perfect weapon..checkout the videos.

video.yahoo.com... Fsearch%2Fvideo%3Fp%3Dmetal%2Bstorm%26toggle%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8

this ones not so great
video.yahoo.com... ch%2Fvideo%3Fp%3Dmetal%2Bstorm%26toggle%3D1%26ei%3DUTF-8

posted on Oct, 6 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Metal Storm is already a myth worthy of Myth Busters.

Moderators already closed about 5 repeated threads on this nonsense, yet it just won't die.

Metal Storm is Dead Duck, designed only to sucker money out of gullible investments, launder money, and siphon DOD grants. The only people that find this blatant rip off as a "revolutionary" muzzle loading concept, are impressionable teens with Terminator mini-gun dreams.

It's by far the stupidest thing since the nuclear rifle.

Anybody who thinks otherwise simply never picked up a weapon and has absolutely no idea what it's all about.

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
G'day all,

Below is a link to a posting elsewhere on ATS that deals with Metal Storm. I have also included some quotes and a link to an interview with Metal Storm executives detailing how China is doing whatever it can to try and get their hands on this technology.

Also, there is an diagram that explains how the Metal Storm system should work in theory.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

Enjoy.......

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Melbourne_Militia

I appreciate the fact that you're Australian, and that this might be an issue of national pride for you, but I do know more then enough on the topic of "Metal Storm".

Even though the company is registered in Australian, the key player there is a retired American general, who is the one that actually pushes this program to DOD/Pentagon.

Metal Storm is dead (thank god), no more D&D money coming from USA, (thank god), and no contract for 2007.

Below is a link to a posting elsewhere on ATS that deals with Metal Storm. I have also included some quotes and a link to an interview with Metal Storm executives detailing how China is doing whatever it can to try and get their hands on this technology.

I'm sorry Melbourne_Militia but we don't get "The Sunday Show" here, so if you can post a link to a on-line publication I'd like to look into the identity of that mysterious Chinese figure.

this link - news.ninemsn.com.au...

has no mentioning on the story what so ever.

The title there is "Skilled migrants to be fast tracked".

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Heres the link to the story - sorry bout posting the wrong one. dont know how that happend -

sunday.ninemsn.com.au...

enjoy

posted on Oct, 7 2006 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander
Metal Storm is already a myth worthy of Myth Busters.

Moderators already closed about 5 repeated threads on this nonsense, yet it just won't die.

Metal Storm is Dead Duck, designed only to sucker money out of gullible investments, launder money, and siphon DOD grants. The only people that find this blatant rip off as a "revolutionary" muzzle loading concept, are impressionable teens with Terminator mini-gun dreams.

It's by far the stupidest thing since the nuclear rifle.

Anybody who thinks otherwise simply never picked up a weapon and has absolutely no idea what it's all about.

LOL, once again an extremely informative post by you. From your other posts, you're hardly the expert on military matters. Seems people with far far more expereince than you think otherwise.

"Metal Storm" is the name given to a deadly weapon being developed by a Brisbane based company. The weapon has been identified by the US Department of Defence as a technology so deadly that it must not be allowed to get into the hands of America's enemies.
sunday.ninemsn.com.au...

We could call some of your threads about Russian technology, fanciful and ridiculous as well

posted on Oct, 10 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Melbourne_Militia, thanks for the correct link.

I've read the story, and for the life of me can't make any sense of it.

Who's JUN YANG? Min Qiang? Who's the "powerful Chinese bureaucrat" and whom did he contact?

Where did this come from? - "O'Dwyer's concerns are shared by the US government which has classified Metal Storm as a technology which must not fall into the hands of America's enemies…"

And how the hell did they supposedly qualify under SBIR/STTR? It's a small US high-tech business support initiative under DoD cap.

As far as I know last year Metal Storms DoD contract was dumped indefinitely, and their stock has been slipping ever since. For example, from 4+ in Nov 05 they bottomed out at 0.5 in July 06, and slowly climbed to 2.5 in Sept do to some projected UAV/UGV 40mm tests.

All in all, such "revolutionary" muzzle loading concept simply does not have a place on the modern battlefield.

It's just another dud to siphon our (American) tax dollars out of our collective pockets.

If Australians want Metal Storm, let they pay for it, and considering that Australians are traditionally very strict when it comes to their defense spending, it's no wonder that they them selves want nothing to do with it.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by iskander

All in all, such "revolutionary" muzzle loading concept simply does not have a place on the modern battlefield.

iskander, please, your lack of knowledge is hurting your rep.

It is not just the loading concept that is revolutionary, its is the firing concept based on electronics only which totally eliminates any moving parts from a traditional weapon, that is revolutionary. It has already been proven that an electric charge can fire a traditional bullet. With a traditional gun, there are limitations to firing rates, because the "hammer" can only move so fast. But with an electronic device, you can reach firing rates at an unimaginable level.

Right now your computer screen is flashing at a refresh rate of around 75 times a second (unless you have an LCD), that's about 270000 times a minute. Imagine now, that you hook this rate up to a electronically fired gun, you could fire 270000 rounds a minute. An M-16 only fires about 650-750 rounds per minute.

Now your only limitation to firing 270000 rounds per minute is the way the bullets are fed into the chamber, which is why the "revolutionary" muzzle loading system was designed.

This concept is a VERY smart concept. Just because the DoD stopped funding it, doesn't mean it wont see further development. The DoD will probably secretly develop the weapon with its own company, since the concept can not directly be patented.

For those that question what happens if you point the gun downward, just use your brain. There are 100 simple solutions to such a primitive problem. For instance, a magnet at one end of the barrel could hold the first bullet, and the rest of the bullets which will be stacked on top will have a simple drop of special glue, that easily comes apart when the gun is fired. Kinda like how staples in a staple gun are glued/laminated together. Just like how the nails in nail guns are glued/laminated together.

posted on Oct, 14 2006 @ 02:22 PM
link   

iskander, please, your lack of knowledge is hurting your rep.

Slice, you're kidding right? We're not in a school yard here my friend, take it easy.

This "Metal Storm" crap just won't die, and has been eating away at everybody for years.

The only point of "Metal Storm" is to siphons as much US tax dollars as it can, end of story.

I'll do this one more time for the kids, but that's it, it's like the never ending story.

It is not just the loading concept that is revolutionary, its is the firing concept based on electronics only which totally eliminates any moving parts from a traditional weapon, that is revolutionary. It has already been proven that an electric charge can fire a traditional bullet. With a traditional gun, there are limitations to firing rates, because the "hammer" can only move so fast. But with an electronic device, you can reach firing rates at an unimaginable level.

Yeah yeah, I've seen the little video clips years ago. Especially the 9mm blasting through a row of hollow frame doors. Most impressionable teens didn't even see that the doors were HOLLOW frame, aka PLYWOOD.

Right now your computer screen is flashing at a refresh rate of around 75 times a second (unless you have an LCD), that's about 270000 times a minute. Imagine now, that you hook this rate up to a electronically fired gun, you could fire 270000 rounds a minute. An M-16 only fires about 650-750 rounds per minute.

I'm sure you know all about computer screen refresh rates and all kinds of other computer game related information, but rate of fire issue has been RESOLVED back in 1930s.

"Electronically fired gun" ha?

All kinds of designs for cartridge/shell electric primers/fuses have been around for over a century, so I hope you understand that its like trying to impress somebody with a light bulb.

FRAGMENTATION rounds fired at a slower rate repeatedly proved to be MUCH more effective then individual high ROF solution.

Simple as that, end of story. If you want to venture into such fields, feel free to start with 1800 ROF ShKAS machine gun, and then do some calculations barrel per barrel.

Keep in mind that all this is literally a century ago.

Now your only limitation to firing 270000 rounds per minute is the way the bullets are fed into the chamber, which is why the "revolutionary" muzzle loading system was designed.

Really? You seriously think that J. Mike O'Dwyer is the first to "invent" stacked projectile concept? Got any history books on worlds weaponry there? Look into it, because I can't even remember how many centuries ago such "revolutionary" concept was "invented", one thing I do know for sure that it was before the CONCEPT of a patent office.

Start with Chinese and work your way up.

Oh, by the way, these are the "roots" of the Metal Storm.

Woolworths Limited is a major Australian company with extensive retail interest throughout Australia and New Zealand. Woolworths Limited is currently:

* The largest retail company in Australia and New Zealand by market capitalisation and sales
* The largest food retailer in Australia and New Zealand
* The largest takeaway liquor retailer in Australia
* The largest Hotel and Poker Machine operator in Australia

Supermarkets

* Woolworths - The company's premier supermarket chain, which operates in every Australian state and territory except Victoria. The supermarkets are often called Woolies and have traded as 'The Fresh Food People' since 1987.
* Safeway - The equivalent to Woolworths in Victoria, and trades under identical marketing to Woolworths.
* Food For Less - Small supermarket chain, which operates in Queensland and New South Wales. The stores mainly sell dry groceries and frozen perishables only.
* Flemings - Group of four supermarkets located in Sydney (the remnants of a chain purchased in the 1960's).

en.wikipedia.org...

That sure is some fertile ground for weapon systems design.

Moving on.

Have you seen the movie called "Pentagon Wars"?

Again, highly recommend it, because right after you do, you'll immediately associate these two gentlemen;

Non-Executive Director, Lieutenant General Daniel William Christman (US Army retired)
Non-Executive Director, General Wayne A. Downing (US Army retired)

to their corresponding characters in the movie.

To make a clear point, these are the guys that "secure" the US funding. They "push" it through. Look into it my friend.

This concept is a VERY smart concept. Just because the DoD stopped funding it, doesn't mean it wont see further development. The DoD will probably secretly develop the weapon with its own company, since the concept can not directly be patented.

Gee, and the MARTIANS will surely try to copy such "ingenious" concept as well, for their own intergalactic battle fleet. Probably.

For those that question what happens if you point the gun downward, just use your brain. There are 100 simple solutions to such a primitive problem. For instance, a magnet at one end of the barrel could hold the first bullet, and the rest of the bullets which will be stacked on top will have a simple drop of special glue, that easily comes apart when the gun is fired. Kinda like how staples in a staple gun are glued/laminated together. Just like how the nails in nail guns are glued/laminated together.

It sure sound like a fun school science project, but we are talking about guns here.

Slice, I know that math is far from being all the rage these days, but come on, buck up and do some.

Go to the Metal Storm site, pull all of the info on their systems, and put it all together.

Stuff like total system WEIGHT, number of rounds, total rate of fire verses rounds available, and the total reload time.

Then just for fun pick a 400 to 4000 fragment shell, find its weight, how many shells can be launched at a time, how long it takes to reload and what will the SUSTAINED rate of fire be, and then calculate the total fragments released by the shells verses total number of rounds shot by Metal Storm.

Forget about HE shock waive and fire ball damage for now, forget about LOS and non LOS delivery options, deployment and maintenance requirements (human resources), just concentrate on the sheer numbers.

When there come back and post the numbers so everybody will see how it really is.

By the way, do me a favor and don't even mention the 40mm Metal Storm nonsense, because all I'll have to say is AG-17.

All in all, keep in mind that unless you take the time to educate your self on what the other guys have and what they do with it, you will be "that" guy in the garage that boasts about his car being the fastest in the world, while he never took it out on the track.

Ok then, it seems that you have your work cut out for you, take your time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join