It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BAE selling airbus stake?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Looks like BAE may be considering selling their stake in airbus, not sure how this will affect the plants in north wales that makes the wings for the A380?

BAE, which first said in April that it was looking at withdrawing from the pan-European aircraft-maker, should make £1.9bn from the sale.

source

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This was mentioned some time ago, you may like to search for the threads. In answer to your question though it has no effect on the UK factories as they are Airbus sites, not BAE ones. They were transferred from BAE to Airbus when Airbus became a standalone company a few years ago.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The problem is though how long before these factories are moved to the other european countries that will now own airbus? it wouldnt suprise me in the least to see them moved just so the germans ect can boost their own employment figures

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
The problem is though how long before these factories are moved to the other european countries that will now own airbus? it wouldnt suprise me in the least to see them moved just so the germans ect can boost their own employment figures

These factories will be relocated once an IF it is feasible to do so. Airbus was "owned" by EADS before, too, there are no new players in this. Furthermore, since EADS is a private business it is not their responsibility to care for the unemployment figures in various countries ... which BTW in Germany are on the way up again on their own.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I’m not sure of the specifics but there are agreements in place (and further ones in discussion) between EADS and the UK Government protecting UK Airbus interests. EADS has also shown no sign of wanting to move there operations out of the UK and there isn’t really any reason to believe this will happen; they see the UK as a home market. There’s even the possibility of the UK getting direct representation through a seat on the EADS board of directors.

I don’t see much reason to believe that the BAE deal will lead to UK job losses or anything like that.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 08:48 AM
link   
In addition to the above remember these two points, the uk sites are technological centres of excellence for wing design and manufacture, not mere assembly shops. It isn't an easy thing to relocate at all. Also, moving out of Britain removes a possible source of launch aid, why would they choose to do that?

[edit on 4-9-2006 by waynos]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
BBC Link

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but it looks like the sale went ahead and they decided to cut and run. As for the job / factory situation, that doesnt look to change:

The 13,000 Airbus workers in the UK - where the planes' wings are built - are not thought to be affected by the deal.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
That it should come to this, huh?

Planemaker Airbus may have to announce further delays to the production of the A380, the head of BAE Systems has said......

.......Mike Turner issued the warning just a week after BAE agreed to sell its 20% stake in the aircraft business. .

- A final dig as they walk out the door, eh?

Too harsh?
Well note what this sooth-sayer says a little later to the reporters

"I would not be surprised if there were more delays," Mr Turner told a press briefing.

He added that "all the ingredients are there" for further problems, although he did concede that no-one knew yet whether any further hold-ups would materialise.

news.bbc.co.uk...

- That it should come to this, a senior and serious figure from British management, BAE management no less, reduced to a catty specualtive bitch as they walk out the door.
Very sad.

Perhaps he should be minding the door doesn't hit his arse on the way out.

I wonder if he's any good with lottery numbers?

[edit on 14-9-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
- That it should come to this, a senior and serious figure from British management, BAE management no less, reduced to a catty specualtive bitch as they walk out the door.
Very sad.

Perhaps he should be minding the door doesn't hit his arse on the way out.

I wonder if he's any good with lottery numbers?

[edit on 14-9-2006 by sminkeypinkey]

considering this was reported the other day

BAE Systems posted a 39 percent jump in core mid-year earnings

sourc e

i doubt he'll be needing the lottery anytime soon, with results like that i doubt they'll be looking to make management changes, in fact it's airbus that seems to be needing fundemental change to get it back on track.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
with results like that i doubt they'll be looking to make management changes

- .....and that has just what, precisely, to do with him making - by his own admission - a fact-free and rather obviously spiteful little dig at the company his group have just sold up and out of, hmmmm?

in fact it's airbus that seems to be needing fundemental change to get it back on track.

- You are a little out of date.

It's been happening for some time now since the initial (substantive and factual) reports when the delays became public (months ago).

Monday saw a further management shuffle at Airbus, which named a new head of the A380 program. Mario Heinen, previously in charge of the single-aisle A320 plane family, replaces Charles Champion - who also steps down from his role as chief operating officer, but stays on as an adviser to Christian Streiff, who succeeded Humbert as CEO in July.

www.examiner.com...

new topics

top topics

join