It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is prostitution illegal...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Its illegal partly to make the religious "feel good" that something is being done about illicit sex. Its also not currently taxed. Thats about all there is to it.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 04:49 AM
link   

So my point is, what's different between spending 100+ bucks on an actual date when you can spend half that to get what you want, minus the chick flicks or having her call you up at 2am with tearful eyes complaining how you never phone her.

The problem is we just want to make sex with her. We don't care about her as a human being. It's no different than using a plastic doll. In fact, if we could get the same pleasure from a plastic doll, we wouldn't talk to women for the rest of our lives.

So, if a woman is just a sex toy for us, it's better to go for a hooker. It's more honest, that way.

On the other hand, if we want communication, feelings, warmth,a feeling that we belong somewhere, the feeling of love, then we should target for more than a prostitute.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausconspiracies
it is actually legal here in brisbane, australia but only under certain conditions.

first: it must be in an industrial area away from homes and children.

second: it is only legal if the person wating to pay for sex goes to a brothel to find it NO street walkers.

...its legal here in NZ too...

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
So, if a woman is just a sex toy for us, it's better to go for a hooker. It's more honest, that way.

On the other hand, if we want communication, feelings, warmth,a feeling that we belong somewhere, the feeling of love, then we should target for more than a prostitute.

Don't get me wrong, I am not in any way validating this behavior. I mentioned this for one reason and one reason only:

A lot of *innocent* men are being hauled off to jail for doing nothing worse then caving into their primal, basic urges. They cannot help that. No man can all of the time.

I'm not some lecherous womanizer (Ie: Charlie Sheen before he met Denise Richards) that hates women. On the contrary, my days of "using" women are long over. I was there, I did that, and had fun. The truth is, I'm actually looking for something permanent now, I just haven't found the right woman. Or even the wrong one.

But my point is this: Don't ruin an old (horny) man's life by entrappping him in a Prostitution sting. I just don't think it's right.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kai-Raega
A lot of *innocent* men are being hauled off to jail for doing nothing worse then caving into their primal, basic urges. They cannot help that. No man can all of the time.

...I'd take issue with that...not all men think with their penis. We have urges yes...but there is a brain to be engaged that can filter a biological programmed urge before it becomes automated action...its called self-control, a facet all humans, male or female, possess in varying degrees...

...it just requires diverting some of that blood upward towards the brain...

There is a saying: "God gave men a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time"...I'd prefer to operate the grey matter first...

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien

...I'd take issue with that...not all men think with their penis. We have urges yes...but there is a brain to be engaged that can filter a biological programmed urge before it becomes automated action...its called self-control, a facet all humans, male or female, possess in varying degrees...

...it just requires diverting some of that blood upward towards the brain...

There is a saying: "God gave men a brain and a penis, but only enough blood to run one at a time"...I'd prefer to operate the grey matter first...

Peace,
ALIEN

As well you should! Like I said, no man can do it *all* of the time, nor am I validating this behavior. I just don't blame these men for caving into their desires. I knew Greenkoolaid opened a can of worms with this, and he did so after a U2U conversation we had about this subject.

My point is that cops are ruining the lives of law-abiding citizens who are either too weak, or simply too dumb, to find an alternate outlet for their sexual urges.

I'm fairly certain that people like you Alien, and myself, are more then capable of keeping it "In our pants", as are a good portion of the male species. However, we both know that a less chivalrous element exists, and they cannot think with their "upper" head.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 05:48 AM
link   
WHAT ABOUT THE WOMEN???

all its doing is paying some pimp the money so he beats the hell out of a young girl .....

its illegal mostly for good reason
it protects young girls who have run away from home.
kids that have been abused and can see no other way of getting help...

i mean its still going to happen but i think that being a law it will help protect some,,,

i was in london only a few nights ago when i seen a young girl she must have been 12/13yrs old selling herself....

And lets not also forget about Male prostitutes please!

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I think entrapment should be illegal too. And punishable by 40 lashes with a cain.
There really are far to many good people in jail for petty reasons.

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
I think entrapment should be illegal too. And punishable by 40 lashes with a cane.

...yeah...think thats legal in NZ too...

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Is there someone from Amsterdam who can shed some light on this issue. How are things run there? How is it regulated? Do the citizens there feel that legalized prostitution has created a problem?

I think that if it was legalized the pimps could be taken out of the picture. Yeah there will probably me brothel owners who take a cut, but it is like that in a lot of occupations. An associate who is a lawyer or a dentist gives a percentage of what they make to the owner of the office.

It would not be legal for 12/13 year olds to be prostitutes. They would hve regulations about that.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
Why is prostitution illegal...

Prostitution is legal in parts of Nevada, but for the most part prostitution is illegal because it erodes the institution of the family. By controlling sexual behavior, society once funneled the sex drive into monogamous relationships between a man and a woman and these relationships produce children. The nuclear family is the best means yet devised to socialize children.

However, now the family institution has deteriorated sufficiently that a significant number of Americans don't even understand its importance, so we might just as well legalize those behaviors that were once considered to be injurious to the family and consequently society.

[edit on 2006/8/5 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
all its doing is paying some pimp the money so he beats the hell out of a young girl .....

It's not necessary to have a pimp. People can 'manage' their own business. A pimp just adds to the mindset that a woman can't do anything by herself.

I agree that prostitution should be legal. And OF COURSE for people who are of age. Just as it's illegal for underage people to drink and vote, it should be illegal to prostitute. If it was regulated, it would be BETTER for these young women (or men) because they'd have to prove their age before "going to work".

As it is, everything is underground and young people slip through the cracks. Black market, etc.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I have a bit of a different take on the whole legalized prostitution thing - it's a control issue....and this is coming from a feminist perspective mind you. Prostitution isn't legal because it gives women absolute control over their own bodies and self. How many pimps do we see ran thru the media lke we did Heidi Fleiss, inspite of the fact that it is known there are many high dollar call girls in L.A. - what is the only difference? Heidi was a woman running a very successful and very clean brothel. I say legalize it and allow women to dictate when, where, who and how and the revolution truly begins. Keeping it illegal allows women to be victimized - pimped out and "handled."

Is it what most women, or men for that matter, aspire to - no, but in legalizing it, it could be cleaned up and women could unionize and control those more distasteful aspects of the industry.

Just my 2cents.

B.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I absolutely agree Bleys. If prostitution were legal, the prostitute couldn't be harmed nearly so freely. Most prostitutes are women. These women can't have any rights protected if their jobs are labelled "illegal."

What if prostitution were just as legal as other jobs? Take receptionists for example:

Would a manager dream of beating his receptionist? Could a client walk in to the business and mistreat the receptionists - maybe rip her paycheck right out of her hand? Of course not. Others in the office would help her, she could call the cops, she could sue, the abuser would have dire consequences to pay. The secretary rents out her services for 8 hours and she deserves fair pay and a safe work environment.

The prostitute also rents her services, and in my opinion, she deserves fair pay and a safe work environment.

Making prostitution illegal has never stopped it. Making it legal would at least stop some abuse.

posted on Aug, 5 2006 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Because you can get an std and you do not want to encourage girls to go in to that kind of horrible life where you can be beat, raped and murdered.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Find a way to get the skanks off the street: get a life.

posted on Aug, 6 2006 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I truly believe that prostitution, like many other things that can earn money illegally are done so because the markets cannot be controlled. Seriously, it is the ultimate work at home (or hotel room) job, and requires no capital and anyone can do it without too much competition. There is always a market for it and the government cannot control it on a large scale, because there would be too many people doing it under the table. I wanted to say this in comparison to legalizing marijuana, which is the same. It is the same because anyone can grow it and make money with very little investment and do so under the table without being taxed or the gov to control it. I think prostitution is illegal because of this very reason under the guise that it contributes to other crime. This is baloney. Crime derives from prostitution because it is illegal. If it were controlled, it contribute to crime, other than people making money without being taxed.

There is no way to control a business like this. Many of you will say that in Nevada it is legal in brothels supervised by the state, but these only are located outside city limits and under strict state control. Why is it not legal in the city of Vegas? Because if it were the market could not be controlled and taxed. Any woman or man with genitals could go into business without the state pimp daddy getting there cut and providing "protection".

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join