It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A possible cure for cancer? Maybe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Looks like there as been a breahthrough in the cancer battle...

Lauran Neergaard
Associated Press
Sept. 1, 2006 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON - Government scientists turned regular blood cells into tumor attackers that wiped out all signs of cancer in two men with advanced melanoma. The striking finding, unveiled Thursday, marks an important step in the quest for gene therapy for cancer.

But the genetically altered cells didn't help 15 other melanoma victims. So scientists are trying to strengthen the shots.

www.azcentral.com...

I may even start smoking again soon!

Mod Edit: to add article text

[edit on 2-9-2006 by kinglizard]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Haha very intresting, you know i always had my own idea about cures and illnesses such as cancer.

I believe that the cure fr aids, and other desieses has already been found. But why release them now? The producers of medicine that slow down the process of the desiese get paid billions, right now it'd just be a loss of money.

But thats great news! and cheers,
I just finished smoking!

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
What !!!!!!!

The cure for any virus related desease is simple.

a. Prevent infection in the first place (not cure)
b. If infected prevent virus replication
c. If infected allow body to clear / kill virus without infecting the rest of the population.

And that's it.. Simple isn't it.

Unfortunately a little thing (God given if you prefer) called Nucleic Acid ( the functional bits of D and R NA) gets in the way.

The current AIDS treatments don't address the end point of the desease (death) because you don't die of aids you die with it. Usually or predominantly of Pneumocistis.
The majority of people dying with Aids in the world are in Sub Saharan Africa not the great USA. So how does having a cure but not releasing it make sense, financially or otherwise. If the Big Pharma ( whom I assume you are blaming here ) could relase a cure for AIDS and clean up and move on to make more medications to enable pensioners to carry on like teenagers then believe me they would. There are many more people who are pensioners than Aids victims and believe me they have more money too. The best part about releasing medications aimed at pensioners is that we will all eventually become one ( supposing we don't die of aids first)

Your agument is weak and decidedly undergraduate, late night (post drink) or popular news rag fed. Do some research before you put comments like this on a serious conspiracy forum. There may be conspiracies involving drug companies but at least have a sensible reason for suggesting one.

Try looking up how many people there are with AIDS for instance both in North America and Europe, then tell me how the biggest ten Pharma companies who are collectively worth more than almost every country in the world ( bar a select few)are making billions ...LOL from them ... Just doesn't add up does it .....

Lets have a serious debate about the real conspiracy..... Lifestyle drugs .... HHHm theres a topic ...... ( ED drugs to name one category........)

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deharg

Your agument is weak and decidedly undergraduate, late night (post drink) or popular news rag fed. Do some research before you put comments like this on a serious conspiracy forum. There may be conspiracies involving drug companies but at least have a sensible reason for suggesting one.

Try looking up how many people there are with AIDS for instance both in North America and Europe, then tell me how the biggest ten Pharma companies who are collectively worth more than almost every country in the world ( bar a select few)are making billions ...LOL from them ... Just doesn't add up does it .....

Here some math...

Global funding for the response to AIDS has increased from roughly US$2.1 billion to an estimated US$6.1 billion in 2004, but this remains inadequate. Spending per person living with HIV in the United States exceeds that in the Latin America and Caribbean region by a factor of 35, and it is 1000 times higher than in Africa3.
UNAIDS estimates that US$15 billion will be needed to effectively respond to AIDS in low- and middle-income countries in 2006, rising to US$22 billion in 2008, most of which will come from the international community4. The worst-affected and poorest countries will depend on foreign funding for 80% of their HIV and AIDS resources. Other countries, less badly affected or economically challenged, have their AIDS work paid for through different funding streams.

Seems like a lot of money to be made, IMO

www.avert.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deharg
Do some research before you put comments like this on a serious conspiracy forum. There may be conspiracies involving drug companies but at least have a sensible reason for suggesting one.

your argument makes sense, for the most part, the problem afaics, is that certain known issues don't jive well with the general idea that these entities (the corporations are someone's property, who knows who they are?) are driven by profit alone.

did you know about autism, the amish anomaly and the fact that secretin has been banned in the US? these are interrelated, if you want to you can read up on it:

www.newmediaexplorer.org...

haloboyle.blogspot.com...

(strictly optional) www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Thanks Long Lance great links,

I am aware of the controversy over Autism I have a nephew who suffers. There are many studies on the subject - latest one idicating that fathers of children who are over 40 when the child is conceived have a higher % autistic children. Amish btw are a distinct grouping who whilst not a separate genetic grouping like the Suomi people of Finland or the Japanese have a degree of isolation the rest of use do not benefit ? from ... In some desease categories this is an advantage and others it is not.
For a similar tale you could look at the contraceptive pill higher risk of DVT / Breast Cancer etc ..Lowers the risk of certain other cancers. Look at the incidence of Papilloma virus infection and cerviicle cancer rates. ( shall we advocate celibacy for all - very short world then ....?)

The point I am trying to make is that it is possible to isolate a particular statistic or group of people and see many things from many different perspectives. Do the Amish have a higher overall survival rate for children born to them .. I have no idea..Lower overall death rates etc ... Again I have no idea.

The Amish are also a very small population compared to the rest of us.

I am not saying coincidence but did you know that there is "roughly" the same % CJD deaths in Australia and New Zealand as there are in UK ...As anyone who knows cows will tell you there is no Bovine Spongiform Ecephalopathy ( BSE) in these coutries.
There is no BSE in Japan either but their rate of CJD is higher than that in UK .. Go figure huh .....

As to Pharma profits, Glaxo Smithkilne for instance has many products, many years old, stable in the market place, some of which are life saving antibiotics ( no withholding of treatments there I see) that continue to sell more than $1000,000,000.annually.

The imposed costs to develop a new treatment for just about anything although some are spectacularly more expensive than others ( imposed cost being the cost imposed by regulators - Co conspirators ??) can be well over $250,000,000 per product... Thanks for the Math lesson. How many products are on the Pharmacy shelves.
Companies can make more money getting pensioners running arround like teenagers than treating life threatening deseases in USA or Africa or both. The cost price of AIDS meds is very high so that figure of costs for the African countires is not only bourne by "international sources" but also by the pharma companies selling at cost or below cost. And anyway aren't " international sources" also part of the conspiracy?..

How about latex contraceptive device manufacturer conspiracy ...HIV, LAV1, HTLV3 or whatever zou want to call it is much much much smaller in size than the natural pores/ holes....LOL in latex...How is this supposed to save you from infection...Still trying to figure that one out .. any ideas please advise.....

From your source the numbers look big and very impresive to those not used to dealing with big numbers ( most everyone). Go look at the market capitalisation of the top ten Pharma companies and see if those numbers look big still. Then go look it up for the top ten oil or automotive companies. Result Pharma is peanuts.

Lastly, why are people so offended when in a free market, companies want to maximise profits. There have been some notable exceptions to a free market in recent years I can think of.. Cuba , USSR... Europe (almost there now ...LOL) Let me think how many life saving innovative products have come from there .... Still thinking.....
I happen to know where and by whom Sildenafil was developed and also how Pfizer came to own it. the cost to them was not huge ( in fact very small) but the rewards were and continue to be huge (pun intended).

Any way again thanks for the autism links they are great, and the math lesson too.

Enjoyed reading your post

have a good one ...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
math lesson? that wasn't really my intention.

i have no problems with maximised profits, as long as it does not happen by coercion, deception or the abuse of legislation (a subset of the former).

i don't know if the autism epidemic is caused by thiomersal (or is a contributing factor), but you should keep in mind that gastric ulcers were once attributed to anything from genetic disposition to stress, so i won't buy definitive explanations this time, sorry.

a real cover up (probably stupidity, though)

www.lightparty.com...

www.aquarianonline.com...

enjoy.

[edit on 7-9-2006 by Long Lance]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Dear Long lance

No Arguments from me there. The Stomach Ulcer analogy is such a good one ...

I don't get the single answer fits all either that's what I was trying (badly) to say as well. ( aids and condoms etc )

Got any leeches ? They were on my model of the world and fell off the edge.

How come you are named after a WWII torpedo ?

See ya

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   
the name, uh well, it was a fantastic weapon in its day that failed to make a real difference so much for magic bullets, i presume
being notoriously incapable of finding forum handles may have played a role, too, though. that and the certainty that no more than 2% of all viewers know what it was...

---------

this particular cancer treatment is basically mainstream, so its chances of success should be a lot better than those of your run-of-the-mill fringe therapy.

such as www.abovetopsecret.com...

and www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2006 @ 05:22 AM
link   
WWII technology and aviation generally is another interests in my spare time.

My full time career is in the Pharma game (20+ years).. You may have assumed so ....LOL

top topics

join