It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secret Lives of Venus

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by VelvetSplash
One thing that's always interested me is how, as I child I always read/was told, that the Gods in Roman/Greek mythology, where the stories' characters match constellations, that these Gods were made into stars in the sky, and that's why the constellations are named after them.

That's correct.

Given that many ancient cultures put so much faith in the Heavens and the movements of the stars and planets, that it would make more sense to look at it the other way round, and say that the Gods were named after the constellations, not the other way around, and thus their respective mythologies are allegories for the movements and relationships that stellar objects have, in relation to each other viewed here from Earth.

The ones that seem to be named "before the fact" are those that are associated with non-gods. "There's a group of stars that look like a wagon, so, see, that's actually Thor's wagon." But making a god out of a pattern in the sky... no. There's no evidence this ever happened.

Very few constellations were named after gods. Planets usually were, but not constellations.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Thank you Marduk for the extensive information.

OK, Byrd, back to Venus.

Let's do simple. If Venus is called the Light Bringer/Bearer and if it heralds the way for the sun, coming before it each day, then what could that mean?

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
Thank you Marduk for the extensive information.

OK, Byrd, back to Venus.

Let's do simple. If Venus is called the Light Bringer/Bearer and if it heralds the way for the sun, coming before it each day, then what could that mean?

It depends on the culture.

In some cultures it's seen as two different objects; a morning star and an evening star, and the people had no notion it was the same planet.

"Lucifer" is the Roman name only, and the references you're talking about involve the Roman culture. In Roman culture, torchbearers often acted as heralds and ran ahead of important men, announcing that the important person was going to appear. They also had a ceremonial function at feasts.

The concept of torchbearer has links to the pre-Christian religion of Mithras, where "Mithras and the torchbearers" was an important symbol:
www.barkhuis.nl...

Mithras is identified with the sun, but the sun (as a god) is also shown as a separate being in some aspects. The torchbearers have been linked with the equinoxes (though not conclusively.)

A reasonably good paper is here:
www.monas.nl...

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   

In some cultures it's seen as two different objects; a morning star and an evening star, and the people had no notion it was the same planet.

yep damn that Pythagoras for noticing
all the directions in the myths made sense up until that point

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk
... then consider the Atlantis tale
it is told by an egyptian priest to Solon
but the egyptian priest doesnt mention any Egyptian characters that we know of

I saw a show on the History Channel the other night, Lost Worlds: Atlantis that really made we want to look at Plato again. SPOILER:The show concludes that Plato's Egyptian priest was referring to the volcanic eruption at Santorini, and the tsunamis and falling ash associated with it. They seemed to have proof, but I'll have to look into it before I draw any conclusions. They claim that, 1000 years after the eruption, a priest showed some old hieroglyphs to the king, explaining that a group of refugees from Crete (the original text used the established hieroglyph representing the island) had washed up on their shores telling a story of catastrophe.

I plan to watch the show again, and take notes this time. I'll try to find the exact Egyptian word for "Crete."

I had given up on Atlantis. The Minoans, well, they're people we know... that makes me feel a little better.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Byrd, nice read about the Mithric relationship with a torchbearer.
I recall that Paul of Taurus was of the Mithric tradition until his "conversion" to Christianity. Also were the three wise men who attending the birth of "Christ"
Also the mention of the Eucharist is worth following up on.

The part about the two Gods having supper together may be about the marriage of Mithrism and Christianity (or Judism).

I know it has been said around here alot lately but I didn't get just how true it is. Christianity as I know it IS a sun worshipping religon. Unbeknownst of course to most of it's followers.

I hope this thread can remain active for a while I have suddenly become pretty intrigued by Venus symbology and meaning of such. My daughter happened to mention something today about Venus entering Virgo today. How appropriate for the discussion. I wish I had the reference but I remember a few years back reading about a "gate" or "portal" Venus based opening.

The statue of Liberty hold a torch, as do many logos incorporate the torch into their
vision, of course the Olympics are over the top with the whole torch thing!

Lucifer as the light bearer heralds Christ the Sun on a daily basis.

For the Masons, I know my mother says when she was a kid she was in the "Job's Daughters" and then the "Eastern Stars" I noticed reading Byrd's reference that Venus was referred to as the first star in the east. Also her Mother had a ring that was as a pentagram with different gemstones at each point of the star with the insignia of the compass and square in the middle.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Ok, another idea about Venus as the torchbearer.

What about Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and bringing it to humanity. Could Venus as Lucifer have stolen fire from God to use to play God here on earth? With that in my his/her minor light as a star dashing across the sky followed by the sun which carries the living fire would be dwarfed.

I wonder if stolen Light/Fire has life or if it is like reflected light.

And a torchbearer can be likened to a trail blazer and a trail blazer burns through something to create a trail, or a place for something to travel through.

I wish someone would help with the Venus mystery.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I really wish someone would participate in this thread. I don't want it to die. Won't any of the Masonic defenders even respond to what I posted about the Eastern Star organization for the females?

Marduk! You surprised me about the flood! I asked you for some help regarding the word flood used in the link you provided since the word is used lavishly and bolded and you talked a bit about floods, but gave no clue about it's use in the 29 pages. Oh my! It is all about sexual desire and is it ever! I felt it!

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Ok, another idea about Venus as the torchbearer.

What about Prometheus stealing fire from the gods and bringing it to humanity. Could Venus as Lucifer have stolen fire from God to use to play God here on earth?

No.

We have a very good picture of what they believed and what stories they told about their gods. We have a lot of books on Roman philosophy. So the answer to that is "no."

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Byrd, nice read about the Mithric relationship with a torchbearer.
I recall that Paul of Taurus was of the Mithric tradition until his "conversion" to Christianity.

Pharasee, I believe. He was Jewish.

The part about the two Gods having supper together may be about the marriage of Mithrism and Christianity (or Judism).

No, it predates that. It may be a blending of an older religion with Mithrism, yes, but not Judaism or Christianity.

I know it has been said around here alot lately but I didn't get just how true it is. Christianity as I know it IS a sun worshipping religon. Unbeknownst of course to most of it's followers.

It adopted local deities as saints and local holidays as Church holidays and some local symbols. But it's not a solar religion. It just borrowed from them in order to win converts.

I hope this thread can remain active for a while I have suddenly become pretty intrigued by Venus symbology and meaning of such. My daughter happened to mention something today about Venus entering Virgo today. How appropriate for the discussion. I wish I had the reference but I remember a few years back reading about a "gate" or "portal" Venus based opening.

Ah, astrology. Yes, Venus enters each sign once per year and goes both forward and retrograde. Astrolgers are prone to announcing "enlightenment era" or "gates opening" and so forth... I can't count how many times they did it last century, but during the 60's, it seemed we had these announcements on an almost weekly basis. You got a bit weary of it after awhile.

The statue of Liberty hold a torch, as do many logos incorporate the torch into their
vision, of course the Olympics are over the top with the whole torch thing!

But, as Freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Lucifer as the light bearer heralds Christ the Sun on a daily basis.

An interesting take for a Christian view, but I don't think it's something that they would be comfortable with. Maybe "flees before the sun"... though anthropomorphizing the planets and solar system is not to modern tastes.

For the Masons, I know my mother says when she was a kid she was in the "Job's Daughters" and then the "Eastern Stars" I noticed reading Byrd's reference that Venus was referred to as the first star in the east. Also her Mother had a ring that was as a pentagram with different gemstones at each point of the star with the insignia of the compass and square in the middle.

Ask your mom.

The Masonic symbolism is very heavily Christian (wth a mystical angle), and their rituals (although technically "sort of" non-specific) incorporate a lot of Christian symbolism in them. Your family will be glad to give you more information on this.

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 01:25 AM
link   
While attempting to Decode the symbolism in 9/11, I noticed a connection to venus.

The north world trade tower stood for 42 minutes, the south world trade tower stood for 56 minutes.

Suva, Fiji is located in the southern hemisphere, Venus will be in the northern hemisphere on June 6, 2012.

While doing a search for 42 56 on google, I came across this.

Suva 04:42:56 11

Apparently at 4 hours 42 minutes and 56 seconds, on June 6 2012 venus will be at the External Sun Egress in Suva, Figi. From what I can gather that is point at which Venus and the Sun part ways after Venus finishes travelling across the surface of the sun, as viewed from earth.

sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov...

You may say so what. Venus has been asscociated with the lightbringer Lucifer in the bible. Some say that Jesus is Lucifer, the serpent or satan himself while others associate Jesus with the sun (The son [Egyptian god RA] of God). I would say that the final mythological countdown is nearing the end of it's present cycle. The final battle of good and evil. The end of the world that we have all been eagerly awaiting.

Astronomers will seek to record four Instants of perfect Tangency between Venus's Disk, and the Sun's. Two are at Ingress,- External Contact, at the first touch from outside the Sun's Limb, and then Internal Contact, at the instant the small black Disk finally detaches from the inner Circumference of the great yellow one, Venus now standing alone against the Face of the Sun.

www.venus-transit.de...

transit of venus across the sun on June 6, 2012

I'm not really sure about the significance of Fiji though.

The new Atlantis, which could be a safehaven from Armagedon?

[edit on 14-9-2006 by In nothing we trust]

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
I saw a show on the History Channel the other night, Lost Worlds: Atlantis that really made we want to look at Plato again. SPOILER:The show concludes that Plato's Egyptian priest was referring to the volcanic eruption at Santorini, and the tsunamis and falling ash associated with it. They seemed to have proof, but I'll have to look into it before I draw any conclusions. They claim that, 1000 years after the eruption, a priest showed some old hieroglyphs to the king, explaining that a group of refugees from Crete (the original text used the established hieroglyph representing the island) had washed up on their shores telling a story of catastrophe.

HarlemHottie,

I saw the show you refer to. As far as I can tell, they took some pretty generous liberties regarding the provenance of the Cretan source. I can find no reputable reference to any Egyptian history of such an occurance. But maybe you'll do better.

Originally posted by HarlemHottieI plan to watch the show again, and take notes this time. I'll try to find the exact Egyptian word for "Crete...."

The name you're looking for is Keftiu.

It is clear that there was a strong trade relationship between Egypt and Crete (Keftiu) at one time in the past, prior to the Santorini cataclysm. What is not clear at all is that the Egyptians learned of what happened to Crete and recorded it as the story that was later supposedly shown to Solon by the Priest of Sais (according to Plato.) Though it's possible, as far as I can tell there's just no evidence of it.

The fact is, Solon's tale (via Plato) doesn't match up well at all with Santorini (Thera). However, that certainly doesn't mean that the Atlantis fiction that Plato wrote didn't borrow from some old story that had it's roots in the ancient cataclysm at Santorini.

Harte

posted on Sep, 14 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Byrd I can't ask my family as they are "estranged" except for my mother who shook the cobwebs out of her memory banks to come up with the information she did. The childhood experience left no lasting impression on her and my conversation with her over a period of time is what brought forth what I described.

In Nothing We Trust Good find on the Venus hit for 2012. I think you are correct in alot of what you say, even though you do tend to push buttons at times!

Venus and the Sun facing each other, alone. Hmmmmmm.

As far as Astrology, it was never a big interest of mine, but I am finding the subjects therein to be major keys to unlock mysteries.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I was reading something on the Lucis Trust website that told stories of Hercules and his trials and tribulations through each of the 12 Zodaical Interpetations of lessons of life.

The story likened him to being a torchbearer.

A torchbearer must symbolize bringing light where there was none.

I could see how Venus could be Christ.

posted on Sep, 17 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   

In Nothing We Trust Good find on the Venus hit for 2012. I think you are correct in alot of what you say, even though you do tend to push buttons at times!

I'm not one to mix words.

Sometimes people just don't like to hear what I have to say.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Well, no one has any ideas to share?

How about the torch bearer, or the Morning Star, Venus having to do with the Pineal Gland and the Light to access the Light. Maybe the Light that activates the Pineal Gland in the Dark of the Mind provides a bridge or path to the Light of the Sun/Son or Lucifer or Christ.

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 02:48 PM
link   
> And heres a picture of Venus making its pentagram in the sky

So Venus do make a pentagram in the sky. It was not one of the things from 'the Da Vinci Code' (Dan Brown) I took seriously. So is the pentagram then indeed a symbol for the Goddess or women as claimed by this book?

posted on Sep, 21 2006 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Ghaele where is the pic?

Thanks for responding

posted on Sep, 22 2006 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Ghaele where is the pic?

There was one on page 1 of this tread.

edit; here is an animation ; www.imageigloo.com...

[edit on 22-9-2006 by Ghaele]

posted on Nov, 10 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by In nothing we trust
While attempting to Decode the symbolism in 9/11, I noticed a connection to venus.

The north world trade tower stood for 42 minutes, the south world trade tower stood for 56 minutes.

Suva, Fiji is located in the southern hemisphere, Venus will be in the northern hemisphere on June 6, 2012.

While doing a search for 42 56 on google, I came across this.

Suva 04:42:56 11

Apparently at 4 hours 42 minutes and 56 seconds, on June 6 2012 venus will be at the External Sun Egress in Suva, Figi. From what I can gather that is point at which Venus and the Sun part ways after Venus finishes travelling across the surface of the sun, as viewed from earth.

sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov...

You may say so what. Venus has been asscociated with the lightbringer Lucifer in the bible. Some say that Jesus is Lucifer, the serpent or satan himself while others associate Jesus with the sun (The son [Egyptian god RA] of God). I would say that the final mythological countdown is nearing the end of it's present cycle. The final battle of good and evil. The end of the world that we have all been eagerly awaiting.

Astronomers will seek to record four Instants of perfect Tangency between Venus's Disk, and the Sun's. Two are at Ingress,- External Contact, at the first touch from outside the Sun's Limb, and then Internal Contact, at the instant the small black Disk finally detaches from the inner Circumference of the great yellow one, Venus now standing alone against the Face of the Sun.

www.venus-transit.de...

transit of venus across the sun on June 6, 2012

I'm not really sure about the significance of Fiji though.

The new Atlantis, which could be a safehaven from Armagedon?

Two seperate ships have witnessed a newly formed island near Fiji. ...

Mariners Report New Island In South Pacific

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join