It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

14 UK personal killed in Afghan Crash,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:33 PM
link   
14 UK personal killed in Afghan Crash,

A plane carrying 14 British service members has crashed killing all on board

Its thought that mechanical failure was the cause, though groups are already trying to claim they shot the plane down

This is awful news and very sad indeed, I send my thoughts and prayers to the family of the 14 killed,

Fourteen British service personnel have died after their aircraft crashed in Afghanistan, the MoD has said.
Twelve RAF personnel, a Royal Marine and an Army soldier were on board the RAF Nimrod MR2 which came down in the southern province of Kandahar.

The reconnaissance plane, based at RAF Kinloss in Scotland, belonged to the Nato-led force battling the Taleban.

Officials said the incident appeared to be an accident and Tony Blair said it would "distress the whole country".

link

[edit on 2-9-2006 by asala]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Also see another thread in the Aircraft forum looking at a different aspect of this

Nimrod MRA2 crash

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:18 PM
link   
How horribly sad.

I hate to see men die over there because of mechanical issues, accidents and such.

Rightly named plane though.. the Nimrod.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
The men killed have all been named today,

news.sky.com...

The 12 RAF personnel were named on Sunday evening as:

Flight Lt Steven Johnson,
Flt Lt Leigh Anthony Mitchelmore, Flt Lt Gareth Rodney Nicholas, Flt Lt Allan James Squires, Flt Lt Steven Swarbrick, Flt Sgt Gary Wayne Andrews, Flt Sgt Stephen Beattie, Flt Sgt Gerard Martin Bell and Flt Sgt Adrian Davis.

Also named were Sergeant Benjamin James Knight and Sgt John Joseph Langton, Sgt Gary Paul Quilliam.

The soldier who died was Lance Corporal Oliver Simon Dicketts from the Parachute Regiment and the Royal Marine was named as Joseph David Windall.

The MoD said no further details would be released until Monday.

My thoughts are with all the familys of these men,

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Condolences to all the familys..Our prayers are with you.

It was definately a plane malfunction although the Taliban did try to claim they shot it down at first.

The crashsite was secured and an enquirey launched.

new topics

top topics

join