It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Masonic terms in every day language

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Here is an explanation of where "giving him the 3rd degree" came from.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

There are other terms like, being "on the level", or "squareing off", or being "blackballed", and many other terms that have origins in Freemasonry.

How is it that masonic terminology has crept into every day language? Maybe we are being molded to be part of the New World? lol. I dunno.

There are many other idioms, metaphors etc.. that have roots in the masonic. Where are they coming from? How are they becoming part of the language we commonly use. Are we being groomed and molded for something? Or is this cryptic language being planted in our brains for some unknown purpose?

Well, really, it is actually interesting that so many words have come from masonic terminology. Masons are everywhere!!! We better watch out!!!

What other terms do you guys know that stem from the masonic?

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well, that is one theory that someone posted.

here is a com-letely different one from the same source.

During the Spanish Inquisition, the first degree was describing the instruments of torture to be used; the second degree was showing the instruments and the third degree was using the instruments.

So in actuality we have no real proof of either or, and thus, none of masonic terms in everyday life.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
The third degree of freemasonry isn't a test on the tenets and secrets of Freemasonry. Sure you are asked to repeat the secrets as they are told to you but you are being prompted. I am more inclined to believe the latter theory but since there is no source, who knows where the term came from or what it's original meaning is.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I too have heard that the Inquisition is the true source of that phrase. I am also fairly sure that the phrase 'square meal' as in 'three square meals a day' is not masonic either.

There are other phrases that refer to tools that freemasons use, but are not necessarily masonic either, e.g. level headed.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   

During the Spanish Inquisition, the first degree was describing the instruments of torture to be used; the second degree was showing the instruments and the third degree was using the instruments.

It was as I recall Anne of Austria that instituted the 3 degrees of torture and was
lauded for her compassion.

The 3 were as I recall The thumb screw, in which the thumb/s were slowly broken.

A device that consisted of a box and wedge used to slowly break the leg/s just above the ankle

and the strappado , where the hands/arms were tied/secured behind the back. then
a rope run through a pully was attached. The victim was then raised , dropped , jerked to a stop, raised, sometimes suspended, sometimes tackled, etc.. If you passed through all 3 degrees with out confessing you were proclaimed Innocent and to be set free.

of course by this time your broken hands would look like claws,legs broken and never set, shoulders dislocated, back injuries, skin color resulting from little or no food, malnutrition, and other viral and bacterial conditions resulting from the living conditions.

given all of the above , ever wonder where the modern depiction of the green faced witch has its roots?

and remember that most of those tried by these methods and those later tried under
the Malleus were just simply women educated in healing with herbs and other naturals. They made potions and medicines to heal. But then so did the hacks of the time called DR.s, but they were MEN.

top topics

join