It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European Moon Probe: The Final Countdown!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Europe's lunar satellite, the Smart 1 probe, is about to end its mission by crashing on to the Moon's surface.

It will be a spectacular end for the robot which has spent the past 16 months testing innovative and miniaturised space technologies.

The impact, which will be watched by professional and amateur telescopes, is set for 0543 GMT (0643 BST) on Sunday. The robotic craft should come down on the nearside at mid-southern latitudes, in an area called the Lake of Excellence.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now let's see if the moon sounds like a gong! Didn't someone say that it's hollow?
Will we get to finally know whether the Moon is hollow? And if so, artificial? Is the data going to be hushed up as usual?

Keeps your eyes peeled!!

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:58 AM
link   
What?

#1, why would it sound like a gong? If it's hollow (which I feel safe in saying it isn't), then something as small as this probe wouldn't make much of a sound. Not only that, but since space is a vacuum, we wouldn't be able to hear it even if it did.

The moon isn't hollow - things crash into the moon, and molten lava is what comes up - not aliens playing a game of Go Fish.

But don't worry, there are other ways. For instance, the moon's mass. If the moon were hollow, it would have a lot less mass, and thus a lot less gravity than it actually has.

Also, I don't think the news will be hushed, since I don't think the news is that important to anyone outside of Nasa currently anyways - so there won't be much to hush up.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Why?

On November 20, 1969, the Apollo 12 crew jettisoned the lunar module ascent stage causing it to crash onto the moon. The LM's impact (about 40 miles from the Apollo 12 landing site) created an artificial moonquake with startling characteristics-the moon reverberated like a gong for more than an hour.

This phenomenon was repeated with Apollo 13 (intentionally commanding the third stage to impact the moon), with even more startling results.

Seismic instruments recorded that the reverberations lasted for three hours and twenty minutes and traveled to a depth of twenty-five miles, leading to the conclusion that the moon has an unusually light-or even no-core.

These facts are all over the net. Do check them out.

P.S. I shouldn't have used the word 'sound'. Apologies. Just a figure of speech!

[edit on 2-9-2006 by mikesingh]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I would point out a "light" core is possible - especially since the moon itself is thought to have formed from the remnants of a collosal impact far in Earth's past with a nearly Mars-sized object.

But thank you for clarifying what you meant by a Gong - I thought you meant actual sound, not the vibrations.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:42 AM
link   
So, Smart 1 has finally crashed onto the Moon's surface. The results would take some time to be known. But let's hope it's sooner than later!

Europe's lunar satellite, the Smart 1 probe, has ended its mission by crashing onto the Moon's surface.

It was a spectacular end for the robotic probe, which has spent the last 16 months testing innovative and miniaturised space technologies.

Astronomers are now analysing a plume of fresh lunar "soil", or regolith, kicked up by the crash. They have also been looking for the bright flash as the probe hit the surface. The impact was expected to leave a 3m by 10m crater on the Moon's surface, spreading debris over 78 sq km (30 sq miles).

It has made mineral maps of the Moon's composition, looking at the distribution of calcium, magnesium, aluminium, silicon and iron.

Knowing the absolute abundances of these elements will help to refine theories for the Moon's formation. These describe the satellite emerging from the debris thrown out from a mighty collision between Earth and a Mars-sized body billions of years ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Or a theory that the moon is artificial??

More

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In order for a Hypothesis postulating that the moon is ... *ahem* ... "Artificial", they actually need evidence to support that in order for it to become a Theory.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Not necessarily, a theory can be based on a guess or conjecture.

top topics

join