It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK police monitoring thousands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Terror police 'monitor thousands'

Police in the UK are keeping tabs on "thousands of people" who may be involved in terrorism, Scotland Yard's head of counter-terrorism says.

Peter Clarke told a BBC Two documentary Al-Qaeda: Time to Talk? that his officers had to be focused on a "whole range of people".

"Not just terrorists not just attackers but the people who might be tempted to support or encourage," he said.

He recently described the intelligence picture in the UK as "very disturbing".

Source.

[emphasis mine]

Thousands? This is a scary story indeed. I for one would love to know the criteria they are using to decide who "might be tempted to support or encourage". There are enough people on this message board for example, who reguarly speak out against the government. I wonder if any of our members are currently being monitored.

Orwell's 1984 once again comes another step closer. All in the name of fighting terrorism.

[edit on 1/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion

Terror police 'monitor thousands'

Police in the UK are keeping tabs on "thousands of people" who may be involved in terrorism, Scotland Yard's head of counter-terrorism says.

Peter Clarke told a BBC Two documentary Al-Qaeda: Time to Talk? that his officers had to be focused on a "whole range of people".

"Not just terrorists not just attackers but the people who might be tempted to support or encourage," he said.

He recently described the intelligence picture in the UK as "very disturbing".

Source.

[emphasis mine]

Thousands? This is quite a scary story indeed. I for one would love to know the criteria they are using to decide who "might be tempted to support or encourage". There are enough people on this message board for example, who reguarly speak out against the government. I wonder if any of our members are currently being monitored.

Orwell's 1984 once again comes another step closer. All in the name of fighting terrorism.

Thats me and you on the list,but we have to keep track of certain people.CT'S at the bottom of the list yet still on it

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I wonder if any of our members are currently being monitored.

i am

since i have a tendency to take the piss out of almost all political and goverment figures, i guess they will be monitering this lol

jokes aside
didnt they pass a law that makes tabs and so forth which are obtained without a warrent admisible in court?

[edit on 1-9-2006 by bodrul]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

I wonder if any of our members are currently being monitored.

i am

since i have a tendency to take the piss out of almost all political and goverment figures, i guess they will be monitering this lol

jokes aside
didnt they pass a law that makes tabs and so forth which are obtained without a warrent admisible in court?

[edit on 1-9-2006 by bodrul]

Your sig says it all.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   

"Not just terrorists not just attackers but the people who might be tempted to support or encourage,"

better count me in too, i give my wholehearted support!..viva la revolucion!

[edit on 1-9-2006 by timski]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski

"Not just terrorists not just attackers but the people who might be tempted to support or encourage,"

better count me in too, i give my wholehearted support!..viva la revolucion!

We're not there just yet m8 .Take some deep ones.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Although not to be found in the original link, I'm currently listening to BBC Radio5 Live and they go a little further saying that thousands of British Muslims are being monitored. Apparently many are prepared to go and fight in Iraq and elsewhere in the middle east.

The UK really is turning into a crazy place.

Related article:

Europe has become a hunting ground for al-Qaeda recruits. Largely disillusioned with US foreign policy, several young Muslims are making the journey east, some to become suicide bombers.

Source.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Although not to be found in the original link, I'm currently listening to BBC Radio5 Live and they go a little further saying that thousands of British Muslims are being monitored. Apparently many are prepared to go and fight in Iraq and elsewhere in the middle east.

The UK really is turning into a crazy place.

Related article:

Europe has become a hunting ground for al-Qaeda recruits. Largely disillusioned with US foreign policy, several young Muslims are making the journey east, some to become suicide bombers.

Source.

Sorry to point this out but.....

All the suspects arrested on the latest plot were Muslim,This is not to say all muslims should be watched or that other people should not be watched.

But it is a fact that certain groups will always be watched.This is not big brother or anything like that It is called National security.

And before the CT's jump all over this It's always been that way.

Get over it.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:05 PM
link   
How the hell do you find the people who 'might be tempted to support or encourage' terrorism?

Is this guy for real? Maybe he should come and live in the real world? How about the troops that have to put up with assaults from suicide bombers in Iraq? Do you think they have any idea that the person walking next to them 'might be tempted to support or encourage' terrorism?.

Idiot, absolute idiot.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:36 PM
link   
While the police are monitoring those several thousand British Muslims, who for the majority are non-white, what are they doing to monitor the growing numbers of angry disaffected white non-Muslim British nationals that are prepared to take up the same cause against TPTB??

Also...does this list include those of us who are non-Muslim who support Hezbollah/Hamas (a new offence, as stated under the new UK anti-terror legislation!)

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by timski
, what are they doing to monitor the growing numbers of angry disaffected white-british that are prepared to take up the same cause??

Monitering them m8.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie
How the hell do you find the people who 'might be tempted to support or encourage' terrorism?

My point exactly. What is the criteria for making such a judgement? That definition to me is just vague enough to justify monitoring practically anyone who's ever disagreed with the government/state policy on anything. It also seems to have great potential to be a waste of resources.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Assume 2% of the population is of Southern Asian extraction (Pakistani/Bangladeshi, excluding 'Indian' on the assumption a majority would be Hindu). From the UK census 2001 - do a Google on ESRC society today - ethnic minorities in the UK.

Assume a 60 million population of the UK - so 2% of this would be 1.2 million people.

Support for extremist organisations amongst this population? Here's a Times link:

www.timesonline.co.uk...

So say that 7% of this 1.2 million population feels that 'suicide attacks can be justified in certain circumstances'. That's 8400 people.

How many of those 8400 would be anything more than 'armchair terrorists'? Not a clue. But intelligence gathering by the police/MI5 on potential security threats from this population? I can't get too irate about it.

Still, the failure of integration of a signficant part of second and third generation muslims into UK society is a serious problem. It's something I notice *less* in North America, where I now live - people just seem to fit in better, sometimes to the extent that I feel that they are denying their heritage. Maybe there's a happy medium.

I don't like the idea of the police snooping into people's private affairs, but then again, perhaps if the authorities had been a little more pro-active against the 7/7 bombers a whole lot of carnage could have been prevented.

TD

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:52 AM
link   
And BTW, I've just noticed that the above statistics make me guilty of 'racial profiling'! Still, I don't suppose I'm doing anything that most security services aren't doing already

TD

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TaupeDragon
So say that 7% of this 1.2 million population feels that 'suicide attacks can be justified in certain circumstances'. That's 8400 people.

How many of those 8400 would be anything more than 'armchair terrorists'? Not a clue. But intelligence gathering by the police/MI5 on potential security threats from this population? I can't get too irate about it.

Nice post. Good to see some numbers. Fair enough you can't get irate about it, to be fair, I'm pretty bloody glad we have these people watching our backs as well. However, my beef is with the definition. Pretty bloody vague. Whats next? Monitoring people who might one day commit a crime maybe? Hell, why not just keep tabs on each and every one of us and have done with it?

Still I guess with the inevitable introduction of biometric ID cards at some point in the future, It wont be long until life like that is indeed a reality.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 01:01 PM
link   
All muslims are evil....

All terrorists are Muslim....

If you dislike Israel/Israeli actions/Zionism, you are automatically the spawn of Himmler, you anti-semite anglo mutts, you....

If you think Tony Blair is an absolute pillock, who should be indicted for war crimes, you are hippie commie pinko scum left wing irrational bleeding heart liberal scum (right kuhl?)....

If you just wish someone with balls and a good moral compass was in power, then you are a revolutionary and should ecpect MI5 to be camped out on your lawn.....

Oh, and if you have muslim friends, you are also a traitor and shall be labelled a threat to national security shortly....

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
If you think Tony Blair is an absolute pillock, who should be indicted for war crimes, you are hippie commie pinko scum left wing irrational bleeding heart liberal scum

There will always be people quick to label you along the lines you have illustrated above. It's happened to me, I've been called a supporter of terrorism for something as innocent as detailing the military aid granted to Israel by the US [yes, that's all it can take for these morons to start spouting their idiotic views]. I just ignore people who are quick to do this, as they obviously are stupid, have an agenda, or both. It is only when those with the power to arrest you, or screw with your life in some other fashion begin to think of you like this that you have a problem.

I'm no supporter of terrorism, I just hate to see innocent people get killed, regardless of which "side" they are allegedly on. That goes for those who lost their lives in any terrorist attacks, civilians in Lebanon, Gaza, Chechnya, Afghanistan or in any other place where they get caught in the crossfire. Lets not forget, these days, in this never ending war against an ideology, it's always the innocent who suffer the most.

[edit on 3/9/06 by Implosion]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daystar
All muslims are evil....

All terrorists are Muslim....

If you dislike Israel/Israeli actions/Zionism, you are automatically the spawn of Himmler, you anti-semite anglo mutts, you....

If you think Tony Blair is an absolute pillock, who should be indicted for war crimes, you are hippie commie pinko scum left wing irrational bleeding heart liberal scum (right kuhl?)....

no

no

and no but the liberal PC stuff is getting way out of hand ,and what war crimes has Tony Blair committed?

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Nice post. Good to see some numbers. Fair enough you can't get irate about it, to be fair, I'm pretty bloody glad we have these people watching our backs as well. However, my beef is with the definition. Pretty bloody vague. Whats next? Monitoring people who might one day commit a crime maybe? Hell, why not just keep tabs on each and every one of us and have done with it?

Still I guess with the inevitable introduction of biometric ID cards at some point in the future, It wont be long until life like that is indeed a reality.

HAHA. Embarrassingly enough, I have just re-read the post and I missed a zero! It should read 84000, not 8,400! Oh dear.

Didn't the biometric ID card die a death (after the obligatory huge waste of money by incompetent civil servants and politicians?)

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Didn't the biometric ID card die a death (after the obligatory huge waste of money by incompetent civil servants and politicians?)

Who'd guess that maths wasn't my strong point?

I dunno, I'd say sooner or later, biometric ID cards are coming. It's only a matter of time.

new topics

top topics

join