It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Sub Cruises past beach-goers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Well then, it would appear that me and a few other people in this are wrong.

But why are so few people looking at the submarine?!?

I mean, if I saw a Russian sub I'd probably holler so loud as to crack the tiles in the things 'pool room.'

I don't see how you could get so used to it . . . I look up every time a plane goes over, even when I know they're just Cessnas - but here's the largest submarine on the planet, and most people couldn't give a hoot? Those crazy Russians!

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 03:41 AM
link   
It was on a military exercise which might mean these people saw the submarine the day or week before

if you look closely at the pictures, you can see people grouping near the water looking at the direction of the submarine.

Here is the best picture of it

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Is it not a bit dangerous to be driving one of those things near a packed beach!?

Imagine having a nice swim moderately far out, you turn around and you're faced with none other than A RUSSIAN SUBMARINE!!! Scary!

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Given the size of the wake, it wouldn't appear that the sub is going very fast.

Perhaps there was a larger reaction when it first came into view, but only the 'die-hards' were still watching when the picture was snapped?

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I always new the things were big, but this pic really brings things to a new level. The shadows and comparison to the people on the beach make it one incredable shot. You can even just make out the deck crew on the sail. I find these machines amazing.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Some Thoughts...

The Barents Sea is not a warm place. In fact, except for the inner bay around Archangelsk, it is all above the arctic circle. Even in summer, the ice pack is only a couple hundred miles north of Vre Alta. Given as I am not a polar bear, I wouldn't want to swim there.

Even natural circulation reactors (and this sub is certainly big enough to have a 'full stack' rather than a PWR) should have some kind of warm water coolant exhaust which vents to the ocean. It may not be the inner loop (which in fact might be sodium) that passes next to the reactor vessel itself but it is the one from which steam runs the turbines. As such, and even knowing that water doesn't hold rads, I truly wouldn't want to swim in a passage channel where nuclear powered Russian 'vwessels' steamed past on a routine basis.

Having seen 60 Minutes documentaries of the state of the north Russian naval port complexes in the 90's which showed subs with active reactors rusting in the shallows and a freighter (also beached IIRR) now serving as a 'temporary hazmat storage site' for other fuel I would /really/ not want to swim in those waters.

Indeed, the latter ship was so radioactive that the film crew's geiger counters pegged the second they stood (fully silver-suited I might add) on the _top deck_, and they only stayed for about 5 minutes.

KPl.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Hunters in Northern Canada see these often and is the main reason for Harper's increase the Northern Defense budget.

Can you imagine the US's reaction if China , Korea or New Bron Russia takes over the Islands Up north over an international waters technicality? - Who needs cuba?

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Actually most of those subs are American, the US claims those are not Canadian territorial waters so our subs routinely go thru there. That's why Harpers new plan wasn't welcomed by the US.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates

Originally posted by Edn
I have a book somewhere with Sub profiles but i dont know where it is.

I'm pretty sure this is an Akula class (aka typhoon) class submarine. Here's an interesting site that talks about the submarine in some detail and has some more pictures.

www.fas.org...

Akula and Typhoon are 2 distinct clasees built for entirely different tasks.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Actually most of those subs are American, the US claims those are not Canadian territorial waters so our subs routinely go thru there. That's why Harpers new plan wasn't welcomed by the US.

As soon as a door is labeled "Public Access" you will see unwelcomed individuals using it.

Also remember recent Russian oil drilling activity will need transportation in the northern waters in the near future....

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
The US, Canada, Russia and even Norway are all gearing up for arctic drilling, once the ice cap melts to allow drilling and tanker access for a good portion of the year you'll see a lot more pushing and shoving going on. All the players involved are already positional themselves and trying to claim as much territory as possible up there.

[edit on 3-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I checked out the source of the photos.

Man did the commentaries cracked me up!

The photos are NOT photoshoped. Apparently there is a naval base in the area, all kinds Navy boats go by all the time, not to mention that the pictures were taken on the day of the Russian Navy celebration.

Nothing strange about any of that. What is incredibly funny though, are the commentaries on the site.

They are definitely the kind that can not be translated by a automatic web based site.

To sum it up, apparently the new generation of young Russians on that particular site are nationalistic, proud, and clearly anti-American.

Further more, more then half of the posts had nothing to do with the photos. I'll put it lightly, Russians definitely do not seem to suffer from political correctness when it comes to Jews and Israel.

Again, I was busting out laughing, while in US such commentaries would be considered as hate speech, people would call for FBI investigations and ADL would definitely try to shut the site down.

Talking about freedom of speech, man do they use it to the max!

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by iskander

Further more, more then half of the posts had nothing to do with the photos. I'll put it lightly, Russians definitely do not seem to suffer from political correctness when it comes to Jews and Israel.

Again, I was busting out laughing, while in US such commentaries would be considered as hate speech, people would call for FBI investigations and ADL would definitely try to shut the site down.

And you wrote this post for whjat reason ? It is clear from other posts of yours that you do not like the jews either, this has what to do with the Russian sub ?
Gotta love those good ole racists Russians, people don't seem to learn from history. It wasn't too long ago that Russians were labelled subhumans, well......maybe they are

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1
. It wasn't too long ago that Russians were labelled subhumans, well......maybe they are

Chill it, dude...

Yeah the Typhoon is an astounding machine. The scale of the thing is amazing.

ROFL @ that guy in the Jet Ski.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Westpoint is correct, the Typhoon is 170+ meters long and 23 wide while an Ohio class boomer is same length but 12 meters wide. LA class hunter killer is 100 meters and 10 meters wide. The typhoon's draft is 11 meters so it is not a stretch to believe that there is a channel that deep even so close to the shore.
Maybe the picture is authentic but it is still amazing to me that no one on the beach is looking at it; if you look at the body language of those who are standing and looking at something, with about one exception they are turned about 30 degrees to the left so they are clearly looking at something else behind the sub, probably the UFO with the dinosaur.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The best thing to do was to translate that link someone gave and a couple of people already have.. Xphiles and another guy..

Yup there's a lot of rubbish about jews and israel on that thread but that irrelevant..

Here's the place:

Order of Lenins Severodvinsk city, Yagry island, seaside avenue..

If one would view Severodvinsk via Google Earth, you'd notice the beaches very clearly..

and Typhoon

Also Akula != Typhoon

There are a couple at the Servodvinsk shipyard right next to the Kiev carrier on Google Earth. Judging the time frames of those pics and Google Earth shots, one of those boats my very well be the one in this pic..

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Nice find Daedalus3. You and planeman should set up a website! It would be awesome. Gotta give the people in the water some credit, that water must be pretty cold.

[edit on 3-9-2006 by pavil]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:14 PM
link   
actually I came across the typhoon by accident on Google Earth. Was looking for the carrier being built for the Indian Navy at Servodvinsk a month or so back and saw the typhoon sitting right next to it..
Planeman even spotted some ICBM tubes on the dock!

Infact a guy on that russian thread has uploaded a zoomable image of the shipyard area and has the Indian Carrier and typhoon as an inset:

Servodvinsk Shipyard

[edit on 3-9-2006 by Daedalus3]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:59 AM
link   
thats a great pic. that would be a little surprising to see in person.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join