It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Sub Cruises past beach-goers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Don't know about the image one way or the other. Where is the source picture from? That might give us and Idea of the location. For some reason I am assuming it is in the Black Sea, that might explain the closeness to shore. How cool would it be to see one of those on vacation.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:18 PM
link   
THere is only one boat in this world which has that type of distinctive appearence and that is a Typhoon class ballistic missle boat.

Someone posted it correctly...the question is how deep is the water in that close to shore.

You folks need to know that the Typhoon class is not that rounded in the hull like the previous Russian Boomers. IT is more oval...wide. No doubt it is a large boat.
Channels can be dredged to make them deeper. This is not unusual to have to dredge a channel It is done here all the time to get the carriers and submarines in and out..especially in front of the Dry Docks. It doesnt take that long for the changing tides to build up alot of sediment on the bottom to where you need to dredge to get your boats/ships out when they have been in dock for a long time.
I too think that what you see just aft of the boat is a channel marker bouy. Obviously the deep portions of the channel need to be clearly marked...in any harbor. They certainly are around here on the Chesapeake Bay..and still we have groundings from time to time.

Also my thanks to the poster on the pictures of the Delta class boomers. Very nice pictures. The difference in the water draft levels may not be due to having weapons on board...could be.. but not necessarily. Boats often correct thier draft levels by blowing ballast tanks when the draft marks get to a certain point. There is a tolerance here monitored 24/7 by watch standers. If it gets to low...a air blow down is done in the fore and aft ballast tanks to reacquire a safe draft level. This is standard safety practice. Submarines have been sunk sunk tied up at the piers when this is overlooked...and it has been. Stupid I know ..but it has happened.

By the way..that is a very intresting picture someone posted about the Alkua class boats ..where they are loading torpedos and the loading door is opened on the hull and the weapon is suspended above the door....very intresting. First time I have seen that picture..thanks for that viewing pleasure.

Great pictures here on the part of many posters..my thanks for this.

Orangetom

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Just my opinion, if you start from the front of the board to the back, you can get the idea its photoshopped. Do you see any breaking waves in front of it? Just looks a bit unusual. I've seen subs in Groton, CT as they left and entered, just doesn't fit the scene.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I thought about that too..the lack of wave action.

However I know this boat is much larger than most boats of this type. I think here cruise speed in harbors would have to be very slow. I am not sure but does she not have two rudders underneath?? Also she could be cruising on a Secondary propulsion motor in this type of usage...very slow. This would also depend on how deep the level to the bottom is at that tide.

Is she not in fact anchored awaiting the tide?? My guess is a boat of this size might have several or at least two anchors...fore and aft. The engine running slow turns to maintain her position in the channel.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It looks too big for me, even for a Typhoon.

But, I'm certainly no expert on either subs or detecting well Photoshopped images.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That's weird though I've never heard of subs sitting like that waiting for tides, wouldn't they usually dock and wait, and when the time is right set off?

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
This is standard safety practice. Submarines have been sunk sunk tied up at the piers when this is overlooked...and it has been. Stupid I know ..but it has happened.

That happened to USS Sand Lance in Groton back in about 90 or 91 IIRC.

Here's some more pics of the Typhoon at the beach.
www.webpark.ru...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Thanks for the name of that boat.

I did not know that there was one in the 90s or so. I know there have been some close calls...due to miscomunications between sections doing different work. The you know what ...hits the fan...when this nearly happens or is discovered beforehand...and for good reasons too.

I recall one out west ..but dont recall the boat name at the moment. I have seen the pictures of her sunk at the pier. I think it was a 594 or early 637 class boat but she looked so pitiful with mostly the sail sticking out next to the pier. As I recall that one was a textbook ..failure to communicate. This one caused a considerable review..nation wide of safety proceedures. And it should have.

Also to the poster stating that they dont know of many ships waiting for the tide. It happens. Up at Electric boat when they built the Ohio class boomers they had to dredge the channel to get them out and down river to Groton and go out at high tide too, blowing the ballast tanks the whole way. They had a very narrow time window to get the boats out of this size. Takes alot of teamwork and people all on the same page to make this happen without a glitch.
This is not uncommon but it does take good teamwork. Everyone on the same page at the right time and place to make it happen. Its really something to watch it happen on time and in the right order.

Also remember ..they may not have been waiting to go to a pier but instead perhapsed a drydock. This too often requires high tide to get over the drydock concrete keel where the drydock gate mates up and seal.
Remember something too ..this is a very large and also a very very heavy boat. A boomer ..even ours sit on a centerline of blocks in a drydock. this means,unlike regular ships, one or two rows of keel blocks on which the boat sits in dock carry all the weight right down the centerline. This is very heavy on a concrete drydock floor. A drydock has to be very very heavily constructed to hold one of these types of boats up on a centerline of one or two rows of blocks. This means not any drydock will handle a boat like this.
A large ship like a Aircraft carrier though very heavy..no doubt.. sits on alot of blocks spaced around the bottom of the drydock to spread the weight around. This is not so with a submarine.
A big boat like this would require a special drydock and that is my main point. Extra thick and extra strong..reinforced.. on the floor. Hence the waiting here for the tide and the teamwork to take place for such a special docking.
You dont actually realize how much dead weight tonnage you are talking about until you actually walk down in a drydock under one of these boats...or even a aircraft carrier. If you have your head out of your backside and can think it through..you realize what a piss ant we are compared to a boat or ship like this when we are in the bottom of a drydock.

One of those Typhoons has to be really huge in drydock.

Just a different viewpoint for some of you to consider.

As I recall... Schaden knows exactly of what I speak.

Thanks Gentlemen,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I did not click on your pictures until after I made my previous post. Yours are much better pictures.

My impression is that the tide is out by the slight discoloration of the sand on the beach marking the high tide level.

Much clearer pictures you have posted..Thanks for the pics.

Orangetom

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Those pictures are pretty old, it had to do with a exercise in the baltic sea or something alone those lines

Here is a video
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Actually the Akula and Typhoon are different boats. The Akula I/II is a Fast Attack Sub (SSN), and the Typhoon is a Boomer (SSBN). This looks like a Typhoon. It has a longer bow than the Akula, because the missiles on Russian boomers are in the front, instead of the aft like US boomers.

Typhoon:

Akula:

Notice the differences in the two.

[edit on 9/1/2006 by Zaphod58]

The Boomer we call a Typhoon class, the russians call an Akula. The attack sub your thinking of that the US/Nato calls an Akula is an improved Alfa (also US/NATO designation), I don't know what the Russians call the Akula/Alfa.

I don't know if the picture is real, but the Typhoons are over 175 meters long.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Looks way to big, look at the peoples on the beach, then look at how big the sub is. If you move one of those people to the sub and take the picture assuming it is real, the person would be a speck.. the person would have to be like 2 feet tall.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The Typhoon is more than twice as wide as our boomers and twice as long so the boat in the picture is certainly real. But I believe it was photoshopped and here's why. I look up everytime a plane flies by whether it is a crop duster or a 757. My son says he and his buddies at his Naval Air Station look up everytime a plane goes by. Don't waste time replying 'I have seen so many planes that I never look up blah blah blah". Ordinary Russians see a sub so seldom that 90% of that beach would drop everything and stare with their mouths open. Russia has subs on the North Sea but this beach is not there. It could be on the Pacific coast but more likely on the Black Sea where ordinary Russians vacation for a week or two every year or every so many years. They would never see enough big subs to get tired of seeing them leave or arrive. Same thing even if they were locals, I see how people react in Groton every time a sub goes by!
The picture shows a few people looking out but if you look carefully they are quite obviously looking aft of the sub. But maybe they spotted a UFO hauling a dinosaur underneath hanging from a sling or something so the sub was no longer a big deal. And the rest of the beach goers had obviously seen that so many times too that they were not interested in it either.
And as others have pointed out, there is no bow wave in the picture but if you watch a sub move, there is a significant bow wave that rides up along the top and sides of the nose even at very low speeds. I don't know why someone would fake a picture like this but I vote for a fake.
PS if I never see a man in a Speedo again that would be too soon.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   

. . . a UFO hauling a dinosaur underneath hanging from a sling or something . . .

Anyway, yeah, I'd have to say it's photoshopped, mainly because there is just about no one looking at the thing, AND where is the bow wave? There seems to be a flat, white section in front of it, but that really doesn't convince me.

Excellent photoshop, though, whoever did it.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Watch the video Chinawhite posted, its of the same scene on russian news so must of been a big deal at the time.

You even get to see the dude in his speedos close up....

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackbayou
The Typhoon is more than twice as wide as our boomers and twice as long so the boat in the picture is certainly real.

No, the Typhoon is only about 5 meters longer than an Ohio class boat but she is certainly wider and a lot heavier.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Wasn't that 5 metres added on, with the excuse that it was for a towed array, just so they could claim that their sub was longer than the American subs?

I woudln't be surprised.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I'm not an expert on finding out whether something was photoshopped or not, so assuming that is real, I'd probobly be shocked.

Its clearly a Typhoon-Class sub, the largest submarine in the world. =P

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Are people actually trying to argue its not a Typhoon class submarine?

It has a extremely distinctive shape.

High internal volume also allows Typhoon class submarines to provide good conditions for their crews, including sport facilities, sauna, swimming pool and a smoking room.

Its like a underwater party bus. I had a picture of its gym somewhere

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:16 AM
link   
russian translator stinks in babel fish lol.....

From what I read in Schaden post, its around the island of Yagry in Severodvinsk, where the subs come in from the Barents Sea. They say its not photo shopped......

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join