It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Sub Cruises past beach-goers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I don't know that there's any good discussion out of this, but I thought the image was interesting. I can't imagine seeing this huge submarine cruise by as I was hanging out at the beach. That's got to be pretty freaky. It must happen all the time because the people in this image don't seem too concerned.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Err… is the water deep enough there to allow a sub of that size to do that? And the second question is if this is indeed a real picture WTF were they doing that for?

Edit: The sizes dont look right to me.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   
That's what I was thinking, but I suppose it could be a channel of some sort. You can see land on the back-side of the sub as well. Maybe there's a navigation channel they have to go through. I zoomed in on the image and it doesn't look photoshopped. Meh! I'm not an expert, what do I know?

EDIT: It's not an American crowd. Look at all the guys in speedo type swimwear. Ick! ("Ick" is Russian for ugly guy in skimpy swimwear)

[edit on 1-9-2006 by dbates]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Yeah I saw the land, still seems rather to close for comfort IMO, and yeah I spotted the dude in the black speedo too.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Real or not, I can't say...

but can anyone make out what that object is in the wake behind the sub? Is it some jerk on a jet ski? LOL. Whatever it is, it almost looks like it's being towed by the sub or is following directly behind it...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:00 PM
link   
lol... Are you kidding!? Of coarse its not a real pic!!! Aside from the sheer obsurdity of it, let me ask.... if YOU or I were on that beach, that particular moment, I ask you... what would you be looking at? I for one would be watching a RUSSIAN SUB PASSING BY! Why arent they fixed on this INCREDIABLE scene. People cant look away from a car wreck let alone a RUSSIAN SUB passing by.. that is of coarse unless they are sooooooooo JADED to this notion, since I'm sure it happens all the time!!

Cool pic though.

Peace

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   
This page shows several Russian subs near land. I dont' think they are worried about the distance to shore as much as the depth of water below the sub

www.russianwarrior.com...

Originally posted by Serum39
that is of coarse unless they are sooooooooo JADED to this notion, since I'm sure it happens all the time

I used to work on an Air Force base where we saw B-1 Bombers fly by so often you wouldn't turn around and look if it sounded as if one was about to land on you. You can get used to pretty much anything if you're exposed to it enough. It does look as if several of the people are watching it.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
When I lived on Hickam, we had F-15s going over head several times every day, and people that saw it all the time STILL stopped and looked up to watch them going overhead. I can't believe that they're THAT jaded that they wouldn't even be looking at this sub going past if it was this close to shore.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Yeah I saw the land, still seems rather to close for comfort IMO, and yeah I spotted the dude in the black speedo too.

There is no shame on the beaces of Eastern Europe Im here to tell you

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasputin13
Real or not, I can't say...

but can anyone make out what that object is in the wake behind the sub? Is it some jerk on a jet ski? LOL. Whatever it is, it almost looks like it's being towed by the sub or is following directly behind it...

Looks like a buoy from here.

I'd guess the photo could be genuine.
And a fairly common occurence in that area as everyone seems to be ignoring it.

The drop off away from the beach is probably pretty steep so no real problem in coming close to shore.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Yeah that's wierd! The sub seems way to close to land. I would probably have a stroke if I was enjoying a day at the beach and saw one just cruise on by.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:15 PM
link   
cue Jaws theme music!

Just a thought, but perhaps the reason than no-one the beach is taking notice is that they could be Russian navy personnel having some R&R on the beach...if they work in and around these craft all day, its not going to be much to them???

Edn

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have a book somewhere with Sub profiles but i dont know where it is.

Indeed it does look a bit big for the picture UK submarines at least are much lower in the water

upload.wikimedia.org...
Thats a Vangard class sub they regularly go up and down to the Naval base near where I live, they carry 16 Trident SLBM's. when its out the water it looks almost tripple its size than from what it look like inside the water.

If I were to guess I would say the picture is a fake, why anyone would fake a picture and put a sub in it is beyond me. but if you have a look at its wake its non existent at the front of the sub but quite apparent at the back, compare that to the HMS Victorious (above)

If it is real i cant imagine the size of it.

btw the object behind it may be a boat, subs regularly have boats accompany them on the surface when going out to sea or coming in.

linked the image because its quite big.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by Edn]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It does seem to close to the beach. However if you look at the tail, there apears to be a channel bouy aft. Its possible that the channel is that close to the beach. If you have ever been to Hawaii or Puget Sound, you see all kinds of USN ships transiting the region.

The other thing to consider is perspective. The Typhoon class is simply huge! So it may be further out than it appears.

Edn

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Saw a couple of photographs of the typhoon class on google, those things are huge

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
I have a book somewhere with Sub profiles but i dont know where it is.

I'm pretty sure this is an Akula class (aka typhoon) class submarine. Here's an interesting site that talks about the submarine in some detail and has some more pictures.

www.fas.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Actually the Akula and Typhoon are different boats. The Akula I/II is a Fast Attack Sub (SSN), and the Typhoon is a Boomer (SSBN). This looks like a Typhoon. It has a longer bow than the Akula, because the missiles on Russian boomers are in the front, instead of the aft like US boomers.

Typhoon:

Akula:

Notice the differences in the two.

[edit on 9/1/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Ah! My comrade. I see you are in touch with the devices of the mother land. I am but a simple capitalist pig. I don't know these things. (It appears you're right)

*Waves USSR flag*
ederflagnews.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Does anyone know if US subs fly colors when not 'out at sea'?

Anyways, FredT said it right...there is NO shame on the beaches

Imo, it's not in the states. Almost everyone has dark hair, the clothing styles are a bit different, not enough umbrellas and there's a dude wearing speedos....definatley eastern europe

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:27 PM
link   
When docked, and on their way out to sea they do. They remove them before diving.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join