It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

F-22 Raptor the "Future of the Air Force" Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
www.dallasnews.com...

Video found here with comments from the Air Force regarding the Raptor and what it brings to the table.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
The F-22 may very well be the biggest waste of money in history I've heard that the engine sometimes fall's out and the processor isn't even up to early pentium's.

It wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't such an ugly plane it's a shame we couldn't just buy a cheaper better fighter from another country.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator
it's a shame we couldn't just buy a cheaper better fighter from another country.

The USA makes the best fighters in the world, no other country comes even close. perhaps the Russians but the price would be double, it's getting cheaper this way. And I don't think there is any fighter that can outmanover the F-22 today.

Or maybe they could have Gripens

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
F-22.

Now, when years ago the ATF was announced as a test program, I thought like many others it would be an 'ok' type of plane.

To develope such a devastating war fighting aircraft, with such an ability to dominate air space, well i for one vote it for the best fighter of the 21st century.

Nothing in the sky can touch it or even find it before it dies, so if i had a choice that would be my ride in the sky!

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The f-22 is a true blue marvel its ability to engage, fire, and the forget and move on to the next target is a dream come true

The F-22 may very well be the biggest waste of money in history I've heard that the engine sometimes fall's out and the processor isn't even up to early pentium's.

Though it is very expensive the USAF leadership would never let its airmen fly any aircraft that has Known engine problems. and as the processsing power of the on board computer, it has the ability to engage in realtime enough targets for a full payload of AA missles whether or not the aircraft has an internal or full (less stealthy) external payload...but yes it is very expensive

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:58 AM
link   

It wouldnt be so bad if it wasn't such an ugly plane it's a shame we couldn't just buy a cheaper better fighter from another country.

www.f22-raptor.com...

F-22 has demonstrated integrated avionics providing the pilot unprecedented situational awareness with a single battlefield display.

F-22’s complex avionics have revolutionized situational awareness throughout the battle space.

www.f22fighter.com...(CIP)
read part 2.1

and can i reminfd you that in the recent alskan war games the f-22 won 108 air to air battles and lost 0.
www.f-16.net...

sounds pretty good to me.

justin

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by justin_barton3

and can i reminfd you that in the recent alskan war games the f-22 won 108 air to air battles and lost 0.
www.f-16.net...

sounds pretty good to me.

justin

Good way to put it.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 03:32 AM
link   
For someone to state that the engine falls out of this aircraft is bogus. Disinformation on this site is unappreciated.

The F-22 may or may not be worth the money but there is no doubt that the technology within it is top-of-the-line and any other statement is bogus until you show some proof.

Thanks for the original post!

-BogusWorld2007

Admin edit - removed the unwarranted personal conjecture

[edit on 3-9-2006 by SimonGray]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 08:31 AM
link   

This is the second post of yours that has come to my attention in which you make quite outlandish comments with no substantiation. Would you please care to advise us of your source?

I have not heard anything of this supposed engine issue, not to mention the onboard Common Integrated Processor (CIP) developed by Raytheon is nothing less than a supercomputer, developed under a $3 billion contract.

The CIP operates with the equivalent computing throughput of two Cray supercomputers.

Common Integrated Processor (CIP)

The Hughes-built Common Integrated Processor (CIP) serve as the "brains" for the F-22's totally integrated avionics system. CIPs are the central, networked computers that enable the integration of radar, electronic warfare, and identification sensor data, as well as communication, navigation, weapon, and systems status data into coherent, fused information for communication to the pilot via multi-function displays. Rather than radar, the electronic warfare system, and the electronic warfare system having individual processors, the CIP supports all signal and data processing for all sensors and mission avionics.

The CIP modules have the ability to emulate any of the electronic functions through automatic reprogramming. For example, if the CIP module that is acting as radio dies, one of the other modules will automatically reload the radio program and take over the radio function. This approach to avionics makes the equipment extremely tolerant to combat damage as well as flexible from a design upgrade point of view.

There are two CIPs in each F-22, with 66 module slots per CIP. The CIPs (which is quite literally the size of a oversized bread box) are liquid cooled avionics racks containing both signal processing and data processing modules inserted into common backplane. They have identical backplanes, and all of the F-22's processing requirements can be handled by only seven different types of processors. There are 33 signal processors and 43 data processors interconnected via a fault-tolerant network. Each processing element is manufactured and packaged as an approximately 6x7x3/8ths inch line replaceable module (LRM) for ease of flightline maintenance.

Each module is limited by design to only 75 percent of its capability, so the F-22 has 30 percent growth capability with no change to the existing equipment. Currently, 19 of 66 slots in CIP 1 and 22 of 66 slots in CIP 2 are not populated and are available for growth. There is space, power and cooling provisions in the aircraft for a third CIP, so the requirement for a 200 percent avionics growth capability in the F-22 can be easily met. There is coordinated plan for technology growth that will help keep the CIP at state-of-the-art levels. As electronics continue to get smaller and more powerful, it is conceivable that there could be 300 percent increase in avionics capability.

The exponential explosion of computer technology in recent years has allowed the F-22 team to radically alter every aspect of the program from detailed design through manufacturing, communication, and into the cockpit itself. An example of the effect of the advances in computer technology is a comparison between the computers used in the Lunar Module and those used in the F-22. The Lunar Module's computers operated at 100,000 operations per second and had 37 kilobytes of memory. Today, the F-22's Common Integrated Processor main mission computers operate at 10.5 billion instructions per second and have 300 megabytes of memory. These numbers represent 100,000 times the computing speed and 8,000 times the memory of the Apollo moon lander.

Original source

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Ok supercomputer it is assuredly not. This is the best i can do in the short term

F-22 Avionics Require Inflight Reboot

The hardware backbone for the system is the Hughes Common Integrated Processor, which, in turn, appears to be built around the Intel i960 CPU.

slashdot.org...

The first versions released ran at 33Mhz, and Intel promoted the chip as capable of 66 MIPS.

In 1990 the i960 team was redirected to be the "second team" working in parallel on future i386 implementations — specifically the P6 processor, which later became the Pentium Pro.

en.wikipedia.org...

The engine thing is proving hard to find but is out there I'll look again later although even Wikipedia mentions "Engine" trouble" this may or may not prove only to be a rumour.

And in my honest opinion the F-22 is the ugliest most expensive plane in the sky.

I have neevr seen anyone make the claim that a F-22 is equivilent to 2 cray supercomputers unless they have changed the chip of course.

[edit on 3-9-2006 by Shamanator]

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Shamanator, the veracity of the "anonymous writer" in that Slashdot article is hilarious. It is conjecture.

Please read some white papers on the F-22's avionics system.

Addition - It appears that the anonymous writer has the research intellect of a 10 year old. He/she doesn't seem to have even read the external sources he/she has provided which actually corroborates the details I've given here.

As for this hard re-boot of the avionics system, I must say this is news to me. It has been stated that the CIP is capable automatic reprogramming and emulation in cases of module failure.

(Of note, that comment in the Slashdot board is four years old and certainly not to be taken with much factuality.)

Here are a couple Powerpoint slides from an M.I.T. presentation (source: click here) I have:

If anyone wants to see actual written evidence of the CIP's claimed "supercomputer" strength, Raytheon states this on it's site here:

www.raytheon.com...

If anyone is interested in buying into Raytheon's processor packages, have a look at their brochure:

www.raytheon.com...

"The Raptor's advanced avionics system is state-of-the-art..." - Mike Harris, Boeing F-22 avionics program director - Click here

[edit on 3-9-2006 by SimonGray]

top topics

join