It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's Secret Bunker!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
For some who may have heard of Mount Weather Emergency Assistance Center [MWEAC] this report may not be anything new, Mount Weather has had some small exposure in times past, in a best selling book called "seven days in may" veiled references to Mount Weather are seen within the plot of the book which is about an emergency exercise at a place called Mount Thunder, a secret bunker where government leader would go in the event of a nuclear attack.

www.guardian.co.uk
Mount Weather is a top-security underground installation an hour's drive from Washington DC. It has its own leaders, police, fire department - and laws. A cold war relic, it has been given a new lease of life since 9/11. And no one who's been inside has ever talked. Tom Vanderbilt reports 'Actually, you may want to just put those down a minute," Tim Brown is telling me, as I peer through binoculars at a cluster of buildings and antennae on a distant ridge. "The locals might get a bit nervous." A Ford F-150 cruises by, and the two men inside regard us casually as they pass.

We are sitting, hazards blinking, in Brown's BMW on a rural road in Virginia's Facquier County, a horsey enclave an hour west of Washington DC. The object of our attention is Mount Weather, officially the Emergency Operations Centre of the Federal Emergency Management Authority (Fema); and, less officially, a massive underground complex originally built to house governmental officials in the event of a full-scale nuclear exchange. Today, as the Bush administration wages its war on terror, Mount Weather is believed to house a "shadow government" made up of senior Washington officials on temporary assignment.

Following the collapse of the USSR, Mount Weather seemed like an expensive cold-war relic. Then came September 11. News reports noted that "top leaders of Congress were taken to the safety of a secure government facility 75 miles west of Washington"; another reported "a traffic jam of limos carrying Washington and government license plates." As the phrase "undisclosed location" entered the vernacular, Mount Weather, and a handful of similar installations, flickered back to life. Just two months ago, a disaster-simulation exercise called Forward Challenge '06 sent thousands of federal workers to Mount Weather and other sites.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some may remember the disaster-simulation exercise called "Forward Challenge'06" which sent thousands of federal workers to mount whether and other sites. At the time many were asking why such an exercise was taking place, a question that has gone unanswered for the most part, this report states that recently there has been an upgrade in security at all federal facilities including Mount Weather.

The local people living around Mount Weather can tell you that since 9/11 things have been noticeably different around their quiet neighborhood, one woman told the county's 911 line of claims that she had seen the mountain open up and air force one flew right inside and it closed back up, as the woman exclaimed "I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes"

It would appear that our country's leaders are taking a nuclear attack more seriously than ever. should we be concerned?

Related News Links:
www.globalsecurity.org

[edit on 1-9-2006 by the_sentinal]

[edit on 1-9-2006 by the_sentinal]

[edit on 1-9-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This facility has been around for a long time but as you mentioned it has apparently has gone active since 9/11 and for good reason too. I can't beleive we all thought that since the Cold War was "over" we would be safe for all eternity to come. Anyway that's a different thread altogether but I believe the History Channel some years back did a show dedicated to this facility. It was quite interesting as they were allowed inside the facility, they went over the history and design of the place and explained how this emergency government would function. I assume the show was done before 9/11 because they were granted unprecedented access and the place didn't look active.

And BTW it's interesting to note that during events like the Inauguration and State of the Union address a few select individuals are somewhere else so that if anything happened America's entire leadership cannot be taken out at once.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I wonder if any ATS members live near the facility and could possibly add any possible observations to the accounts given in the story?

Also I wonder if anyone here has read the 1962 best seller mentioned in the article which was one year before I was born. very interesting how the book mirrored the actuality of Mount Weather.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
i drive by it every day, or at least the road that it's on (blue ridge mountain road). you can get a good look at some of the facility from the appalacian trail, which i've done, and from all appearances, it's pretty much your typical federal facility. the top portion is actually a FEMA facility in constant use. the subterranian portion i dont know much about, except what i hear from other federal employees, which is that every time you hear about cheney being at an "undisclosed location", it's usually mount weather.

the comment about flying air force one into the facility is just ridiculous. there is no runway up there, so a 747 aint gonna get there. there are, however, several helo pads, but i would tend to doubt reports of the mountain opening up and marine one flying in like something out of "airwolf." just MHO....anything's possible i guess.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Its one of those places that every local who lives near it has at least on story about, some more fanciful than others. I've been past it several times and it definately has a unique feeling, alot like being watched. I've also heard rather interesting sounds on the phone while talking to a friend who lives walking distance from the fence, which he theorized was a phone tap. That aisde its something to see if your up towards the Shenandoah Valley along with the rest of the beautiful scenery.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I am glad such a fortified compound is still active. I assume it is very well capable of withstanding a direct nuke eh? Well, not necessarily the town around it but the facility underground anywyas. It must be if it was built during the cold-war.

I do believe I also saw that documantery West when I was a teenager. I cannot remember too much, perhaps it can be ordered from their website?

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Strange, I've looked online and on their website and I can't find any reference to (MWEAC) and History Channel together. I can't quite remember right but I'm sure that this is the facility they were talking about but I believe they were referring to it by another name? Anyone know if this facility has another name?

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
did you try "mount weather"? that's what it's called in government circles.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I believe ive seen that documentary some yrs.back Westpoint.Yes,isnt it comforting 2 know that our leaders have a comfy lil nuke proof hide away 2 go 2 after millions of americans are incinerated?(sarcasm)

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Would you prefer that they were also incinerated, causing an unfortunate delay in the orders given, possibly resulting in a worse situation as the chain of command is shifted?

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I believe that the show you were referring to was the one about the enclave in the bottom of the Greenbrier resort in White Sulpher Springs, WVA. Basically they had a mock up for the House and Senate to hold sessions. Unfortunately way off the beaten path from D.C. so it was moth balled for other installations closer I believe.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Greenbriar is pretty neat, and I'm pretty sure the secret underground bunker is now open for tours to guests of the resort

Mt. Weather has always been interesting to me for some reason, but like another poster said I'm glad its there so we can rest assured the govt could still function even during a catastrophic event.

Here's a good link to the crytome eyeball series on the place which shows its location and a really good sattelite photo of the bunkers and you can see the 2 main portals

cryptome.org...

[edit on 2-9-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Daspirate no wonder I thought they called it a different name, it was a whole different facility! Thanks for that post, it refreshed the memory a bit. I believe that show though gives some insight into what Mount Weather might be like inside.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Oh please....it's a well known fact that bush and his cabinet have VIP bunkers all over the place. The title of this thread is totally misleading and only reflects the Ultra-Liberal scare tactics and propaganda that ATS has fallen under.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Mmm not very secret if you can read about it on the web....the details of the larger COG (continuity of government) sites have been available for some years now.
As Xphiles has said the are allegedly quite a few COG sites dotted around the country, with the majority obviously around Washington.There is a requirement for somewhere safe after flying around in Air Force One for as long as possible during the initial phase of any crisis of strike against the US.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Oh please....it's a well known fact that bush and his cabinet have VIP bunkers all over the place. The title of this thread is totally misleading and only reflects the Ultra-Liberal scare tactics and propaganda that ATS has fallen under.

I agree and its not as if Mt. Weather is "Bush's secret" anything because for one its not like he commisioned it to be built or anything! and its not even secret. Its been there for a while and will be for a long time!!! Its for many govt officials to use not just the president or Bush.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center -Wiki

she had seen the mountain open up and air force one flew right inside and it closed back up

Looking at the photos and sat images of Mount Weather, I wonder what movie she was watching. Not much of a secret bunker either with all the info available on the net.

Now if you can find out where the tunnels are bored by nuclear subterrenes, then maybe you found a secret bunker.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Glad you brought up the subject Regenmacher, have a read about nuclear subterrens here and about possible other sites. These machines are a beast, six and a half miles per hour and the wall finish left behind is glazed rock.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well well well... You don't think THAT'S the kind of nuclear technoloy Ahmadinejad would like to get his hands on?

Iran is a very mountainous country and he is a civil engineer, ya know. Think of the pipelines they could run. I worked many years with engineers and I know how they like their gadgets...

I think the lady interviewed had AF1 confused with the helo you always see th POTUS embarking from on the WH lawn. Must be a hangar bay there landscaped and camoflagued to look like MtWx--they're easy to tow inside.

top topics

join