It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need internet help please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:12 AM
link   
hi. i just wanted to ask for help about my internect connection problem. my internet speed is about 700-800kbps. i am using pentium 4 1.4 mhz with 128mb and still using Windows 98 SE. my problem is that my modem keeps on reseting thus disconnecting me from the internet. i have called my ISP and they say that they think that it is a problem in my PC but i do not believe them coz there are days that there is no problem. hope you could help me with this. thanks

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by VincentValentine
my problem is that my modem keeps on reseting thus disconnecting me from the internet.

DSL or Cable?

Who is your provider?

+ a "Here's what happens"- type description of your problem would a big help.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:36 AM
link   
First thought without more information is to suspect Windows, which in the 9x family has pretty craptastic networking to say the least. For sanity's sake and probably the safety of your computer and its data I would definately suggest moving to a more modern version of windows at your next opportune time as they are better supported, functionning and robust compared to what your running now. It might not fix your problem but I'm sure it would make the computer alot more pleasant to use.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
everyday, i open my PC at about 9am until about 11pm. if lucky, the internet gets DCd every 5 minutes(the ADSL modem resets). but there are times that the internet goes smoothly for about an hour without DC.

I have DSL/Broadband 700kbps. my ISP is PLDT MyDSL.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Form the FAQ on their website. PLDT MyDSL

An overheating DSL Modem will cause erratic problems with the connection. It can cause anything from being unable to connect, to frequent disconnects, to very slow speeds. Feel the bottom of your DSL Modem if it is hotter than room temperature, try standing it up on its side and placing a fan beside it or try to cool it off in some manner.

Not to say that's the issue, just something to consider.

I have seen mention of this same scenario when the nat table gets filled [frequently resetting], but I haven't found any resolve to it yet.

You could see if there is an available firmware update for that particular modem.

The make, model #, etc. can be found on the back.

Of course, as mentioned, it could be any numbers of things considering your using
Win98.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that Microsoft doesn't support '98 anymore anyway. Talk to your local computer geek about upgrading your OS. When I was running 98 and using aol as an ISP, I couldn't stay connected for more than a little while before I got dumped.

Are you using Cable or DSL? If you're using DSL, it happens all the time. ISPs will lie to your face and tell you that it's your system, but I've had my issues with Verizon DSL on a work laptop. It would connect fine at work, but dump me at home every half hour or so. I recomend switching to cable.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Go to the site of the manufacturer who made the modem. See if there is what's called a firmware update. There should be instructions on how to install it.
There may be a communication error (no kidding right), where the protocol to connect is not supported, and you need an update.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Hi,

one thing to check is that you have adsl filters (if it is adsl you are using?) on every telephone. If not everytime the phone rings or you pick it up and dial your internet connection will be disconnected. Also check the cable from the modem to the phone is ok and maybe replace it with a high quality one? I had that problem with my adsl router and it wasn't until I changed it that it all worked fine.

Could be this but then I'm no expert.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This may sound silly, but have you tried shutting down (powering down) your dsl modem, and waiting 60 seconds and turning it back on.

Durning this time you should have your computer off also.

Is the modem new, old?

Is it still under warranty?

Could your dsl modem be bad???

They do fail ya know???

Do you find the modem getting hot? That can because modem reboots.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Also check that you have the proper power supply for your modem. I've seen setups where there are numerous same type power supplies but mistakingly get plugged into the wrong device. Yes it will provide power but in many cases either not enough or too much which could lead to overheating.

The DSL inline filters are also another strong candidate as previously mentioned by another user.

brill

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This exact same thing happened to me about 4 months ago. Excpet I was running XP pro.

After much searching I discovered it was ZoneAlarm!!!

As my router made a new assignment, ZoneAlarm refused it access to the net.

I changed firewalls and have not had the problem sense.

Semper

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:42 PM
link   
thanks for your suggestions. i am now sure that the major issue is overheating. my modem's temperature is still high even my aircon is on(the temperature is lower than 25 degrees Celcius.

i'll try to follow your suggestions. thanks again. ^_^

new topics

top topics

join