It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane Bursted Into Flames In Iran - At Least 80 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:08 AM
link   
A passenger plane bursted into flames upon landing in Iran today. Apparently, one of the planes tyres bursted and started the fire. Dozens of people reportedly managed to escape from the burning plane.

BBC: Scores killed in Iran plane blaze

1 September 2006

A passenger plane has burst into flames upon landing in Iran's north-eastern city of Mashhad, killing at least 80 people, state television reports.

There are reports that dozens of people managed to escape the blaze. The fire began when one of the plane's tyres burst as it was landing, Iranian television said. It is not clear if the fire has been fully extinguished. The Russian-built Tupolev jet was carrying 147 passengers, reports say.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It seems like an accident. Maybe it was an accident. Those passengers who managed to survive this was very lucky. Reports are still coming in...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Gosh, at least some had managed to escape.

Theres a very poor saftey record in Iran?

Is this due to that they cant buy from the US?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:22 AM
link   
OK, when does the rhetoric start that the USA was involved?
I can't wait to see the spin put on this one.
I'll bet you a pizza, that the USA will be blamed in one fashion or another......
Another airline tragedy, I hope that all of those who survived manage to recover.
Just my 2 cents.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by lombozo]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:26 AM
link   
From what im hearing it was a wheel that blew on the plane that caused it to go on fire,

I dont think theres really anymore to it that that,

My questions are that the plane record in Iran is very poor and a number of crashes have happened there, I believe the planes are quite old there,

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHA THEY GOT WHAT THEY DESERVED..GOOD JOB CRAPPY AIRPLANE!!

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Mashhad is located some 1,000 km (620 miles) north-east of Tehran and is a major pilgrimage destination for devout Shia Muslims.

Source: BBC

Looks most of the dead are likely to be pilgrims. It does seem to be an accident and not anything sectarian. Our prayers should go out to the survivors and the relatives of the dead.

Originally posted by HARDCOREMOKID

Possibly the most insensitive post I've ever seen on ATS.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by HARDCOREMOKID

Hmmmm, that's not really cool dude. A little advice, tone it down a little. Trust me, I tend to make light of just about everything, and post alot of really goofy stuff, all in good fun, but events like these are very saddening.
Just my 2 cents.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by asala
Gosh, at least some had managed to escape.

Theres a very poor saftey record in Iran?

Is this due to that they cant buy from the US?

[edit on 1-9-2006 by opinionsarefree]

[edit on 1-9-2006 by opinionsarefree]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I'll bet you a pizza, that the USA will be blamed in one fashion or another......
[edit on 1-9-2006 by lombozo]

I'll say it if you share the pizza, but I don't like politicizing death.

Very sad to hear. I hope that all the relatives can find peace with this even quickly and that it not way too heavy on their hearts.

My thoughts go out to them today.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   
OK so this is the third plane this week to burst into flames and kill people...

Now one was in the UK, one was in the USA, and now one in Iran. WTF is going on with planes and fires???

Sod it, im swimming to America - blooming safer at this rate.

Here in the UK were stuck between suicidal families of Islamic nutters, and spontaneous combustion on an aircraft .... Im swimming.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
asala - reffering to your question- past sanctions against Iran do include a ban on the sale of aircraft parts to them. See this link- in the paragragh just under " /// END ACT///" it mentions this.

www.fas.org...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Here is another mention of the aircraft parts sanction and a better updated article that states only 29 people killed in that crash rather than 80.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I decline to comment on this accident due to my remarks being taken as Russian or Iranian bashing.

Even with this aviation is still the safest form of travel. Just remember that a 99.999% safety record is good untill you fly 10 million flights a year.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:38 PM
link   
*deleted due to unATS words thoughts and opinions

[edit on 9/1/2006 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:06 PM
link   
mrmonsoon

1 I only asked a question as I know nothing about this matter, I was trying to gain some more info on this, as I heard on the news someone mention that planes were unsafe in Iran due to not being able to buy from the US.

Yes my statement may be one of ignorance due to the fact that I do not know about this subject, If I don't ask questions then how does one learn?

I at no point was pointing the finger at the US, mealy stating could this be something to do with the many crashes in Iran this year, due to the fact that the planes are old,

[edit on 1-9-2006 by asala]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There was a USAirways flight either today or yesterday that landed and blew tires and had them catch fire, but no one was hurt in that incident. The plane in Iran was a Russian built TU-154, so there was no problem with getting parts for it as far as sanctions go, but even with the best maintenance and safety record in the world, sometimes accidents just happen and there's not much you can do about it.

US Airways Accident

new topics

top topics

join