It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flag - Where is the dividing line between respect, disrespect, and worship?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:09 AM
link   
i'm in my mid 20's and since i was 15 yrs old i've been in the military in one way or an other (i went to a military academy in h.s., then enlisted after graduation)

During those years at military school the flag didn't mean much infact and was a pain to salute the flag during retreat (the end of the day) it didn't mean much to me when i enlisted in the army.

When i returned home to Massachuttes after my Iraq deployment and "presented arms" during retreat it meant a heck of a lot to me, for reasons that r hard and lenthy to explain.

in my opinion i don't care what people do to the flag as long at the end day we can all shake hands have a beer (or a roy rodgers if ya don't drink) at least people care enough to think something of it good bad or ugly!

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:03 AM
link   
wynn.house.gov..." border=0>

I fly the American flag in front of my home, because I like the daily reminder of the values it represents.

I'm proud of that heritage.

I also don't let my intense dissatisfaction with Bush and his administration interfere with my desire to fly that flag. In fact, it's because of them that I hold the flag as an important symbol of what is at stake. (And just in case anyone is wondering...I think the fascists are already in power. The fact that they might be fighting against "other" fascists abroad does nothing to diminish their plainly obvious nature to me here at home.) I will not yield easily my view of the American flag for their faux patriotic perversions.

With regard to flag burning... It think the moment it is prohibited by law, you've transgressed the very values the flag represents. A law that restricts POLITICAL speech should never see the light of day under or within our constitution. The treasonous event is in thinking otherwise.

wynn.house.gov..." border=0>

[edit on 2-9-2006 by loam]

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
In my opinion, the flag is a symbol of this country, and nothing more.
I understand that men died defending the flag and what they thought it meant, and I have the utmost respect for those men who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country; however, that does not change the fact that I feel it is okay to burn the flag in protest, or the fact that I have done so on more than one occassion.

Yes, I have burned an American flag.
I know how controversial it sounds, and Im sure some people are going to call me traitorous or any other names they can think of; and to be honest, in alot of situations, I would agree with you! However, as stated on the first page of this thread, it all comes down to intent.

When I burned my first American Flad I had reservations about doing so. I knew that legally it was my right to do it, I wasnt sure if it was morally right though. And then I thought about all of those who have died for this country, all those who died protecting the flag and all that she ment to them. And then I lit the flag.

To me, in my reasoning, it was more patriotic to burn the flag then to hang it over the railing at my apartment. I realized that I was so disgusted with this country, its leadership, and most of its citizens that burning the flag in protest was actually more of an honor to those who died than displaying it.

Like I said, it all comes down to intent and the sybolism behind the intent. My personal symbolism and intent arent important in this debate, the only thing that is important is that you can burn a flag and love it at the same time.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow.

Thank you Loam and Mezzanine. Both of your posts were very moving to me. I agree with you both 100%!

We flew the flag in front of our home after 9/11 to show solidarity. I still get a rush thinking about how "We were all New Yorkers" at that time. The unity I felt with the whole country was really incredible. And I wanted to express that.

So it's not like I'm a flag hater or anything
I love the flag and more importantly, what it represents. But the Constitution is the foundation of this country and comes above all else as far as I'm concerned.

And what Messanine said is true. You can love the flag and burn it at the same time.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join