It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"WWJD" to "WWGS" (What Would God Say?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Do you think it would offend GOD if you were to exhibit enough empathy for GOD to look at the issues and questions you have from GOD's perspective?

Do you believe this would be a sin?

Is there a line between "WWJD" and "WWGS" that would be trespassing upon some taboo?

Have you ever tried to have enough empathy for your GOD to allow you to see through the perspective of that which is all knowing?

I see this as trying to be like GOD, but not being GOD. However, what if when one succeeds at having enough empathy they are presented the choice from their perspective? Would this be an inevitability (the choice to see as GOD sees, or contimplate GODhood one's self).

I graciously thank you all in advance for your contributions.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Do you think it would offend GOD if you were to exhibit enough empathy for GOD to look at the issues and questions you have from GOD's perspective?

DEFINITELY not an offense to G.O.D. In fact, our very purpose.

Do you believe this would be a sin?

I believe the only sin is selfishness. So, no, it is the exact opposite of sin because empathy is the opposite of selfishness/self-orientation/self-preservation.

Have you ever tried to have enough empathy for your GOD to allow you to see through the perspective of that which is all knowing?

That's all I've really lived for, this lifetime.

I see this as trying to be like GOD, but not being GOD.

Ditto.

However, what if when one succeeds at having enough empathy they are presented the choice from their perspective? Would this be an inevitability (the choice to see as GOD sees, or contemplate GODhood one's self).

Yes.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Seeing as how God Himself is such a multifacted enigma in and of himself, it's quite possible he's already crusing around in a beat up Buick with a "Visualize Whirled Peas" bumper sticker right this very moment.

Then again, it might be "Forget the Horn, Watch for Finger."

In any case, it would help define what department the faithful work in, and I think it's a damned fine idea.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   
wwjd? well, that's not a very good question to ask... he ended up getting himself nailed to a cross, so i question his decision making abilities...

and wwgs? that's even worse. "god"...at least the judeo-christian god that i assume you're referencing since this is a transition from "wwjd" isn't a very good role model. said being has ordered genocides and rapes, condemned people for being born a certain way, and given women an overall bad treatment...

honestly, i'd rather go with "what would reasoned moral philosophy tell you to do in this situation?" or "wwrmptytdits" ....ok, so it isn't quite as catchy...

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   
What Would Big Brother Do?

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:58 AM
link   
WWJMD?

(what would Jim Morrison do?)

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I would say, yeah, it would be sin, namely pride. Even, to a degree, asking what would Jesus do is as such, but not nearly so much. First, a definition. I'm taking your reference to God from a Christian perspective and adding that you're talking about God the Father. As I'm sure you know, there are two other elements to God in Christian belief, God the Christ and God the Holy Spirit. Since you've drawn a distinction between God the Christ and God, I'm assuming you're talking about God the Father.

Anywho, Christ told us that He would be going to the Father as our advocate, but in His place He would be sending His Spirit, to lead and to guide us, revealing His will. It is also written that we are to come into the fullness of who we are through the Holy Spirit, making us more like Christ every day. Hence the question, "what would Jesus do?" Since this is the natural course a Christian is supposed to experience, it would stand to reason that we should test where we stand. At the same time, to explain the questioning of "what would Jesus do?", I think a far more fitting question would be, "Holy Spirit, where are you leading me?"

However, the Holy Spirit is sometimes difficult for anyone to understand, and it is often easier to attach His actions to Christ -- yet no one here on Earth today has experienced Christ; we have only experienced the actions of the Holy Spirit pointing us to Christ.

The reason I say asking what God the Father would say would be commission of the sin of pride is as follows. He has put forward His plan. He has told us that through His Son, Jesus Christ, we are redeemed, and through the Spirit we are to be led. It is through the Spirit we are to be led to be more like Christ. To ask, "what would God say?" is to say to God, "yeah, that was a novel idea. Heck, I can even see some wisdom to it. However, rather than go through what you set up, I want you to directly let me know what's going on. I don't like your plan, so I'm going to go with my own, and, by golly, you'd better respond to it!"

If telling God, "no, do it my way" isn't extraordinarily prideful, I don't know what is!

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38
WWJMD?

(what would Jim Morrison do?)

how bout this?
(wwfd-what would frank do?)....frank zappa

bwuahahahahhahah

yeah baby!!!!

[edit: resized oversized images]
Mod Edit: Image Size – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   
You need to look with Gods eyes at situations. This is merely using him as a stick to measure situation with. To "see from Gods eyes" is what he desires for us.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
wwjd? well, that's not a very good question to ask... he ended up getting himself nailed to a cross, so i question his decision making abilities...

That's fool talk. He allowed himself to be killed. I thought you read the bible from "cover-to-cover", "TWICE". Someones a hippo here.

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
I would say, yeah, it would be sin, namely pride.
(..)
If telling God, "no, do it my way" isn't extraordinarily prideful, I don't know what is!

Jake, how the heck did you get from the idea of empathy:

Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives. Understanding and entering into another's feelings; fellow feeling, sympathy - sharing the feelings of others (especially feelings of sorrow or anguish)

to the idea of pride?

1. A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect.
2. Pleasure or satisfaction taken in an achievement, possession, or association: parental pride.
3. Arrogant or disdainful conduct or treatment; haughtiness.
4. a. A cause or source of pleasure or satisfaction; the best of a group or class: These soldiers were their country's pride.
b. The most successful or thriving condition; prime: the pride of youth.
5. An excessively high opinion of oneself; conceit.

TWO totally different attitudes. TOTALLY. One is about others...the other about self.

Even, to a degree, asking what would Jesus do is as such, but not nearly so much.

What else are we to do but to follow in his very same footsteps? Did not G.O.D. send him with both approval and script?

And WHAT DID Jesus do?

If there is therefore any encouragement in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any tendernesses and mercies, then fulfill my joy, that you may be like-minded, having the same love, being of one accord and of one mind.
Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than themselves.
Do not let each man look upon his own things, but each man also on the things of others.
For let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, and took upon Himself the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men.
And being found in fashion as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted Him, and has given Him a name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of heavenly ones, and of earthly ones, and of ones under the earth; and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
~ Philippians 2:1-11

Anywho, Christ told us that He would be going to the Father as our advocate, but in His place He would be sending His Spirit, to lead and to guide us, revealing His will.

What’s the difference between any one of the three? Are not they literally as ONE mind and will?

He who does not love Me does not keep My Words, and the Word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father's who sent Me.
I have spoken these things to you, being present with you.
But the Comforter, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatever I have said to you.
~ John 14:24-26

It is also written that we are to come into the fullness of who we are through the Holy Spirit, making us more like Christ every day.

And AS ONE with one another….baptized in the same spirit as members of the ONE body. Unity requires empathy, compassion, and sharing both joy and sorrow.

-- yet no one here on Earth today has experienced Christ; we have only experienced the actions of the Holy Spirit pointing us to Christ.

How do you KNOW what others have experienced? Especially when you seem to translate empathy as pride?
You do not know anything except what you have experienced, yourself. From that you are judging the possibilities and actualities of other souls.

The reason I say asking what God the Father would say would be commission of the sin of pride is as follows. He has put forward His plan.

While he yet spoke, behold, a bright cloud overshadowed them. And behold a voice out of the cloud which said, This is My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased, hear Him.
~ Matthew 17:5

Hear what? What he said G.O.D. sent him to say. Such as:

But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you, so that you may become sons of your Father in Heaven.
For He makes His sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have?
Do not even the tax-collectors do the same?
And if you greet your brothers only, what do you do more than others?
Do not even the tax-collectors do so?
Therefore be perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.
~ Matthew 5:44-48

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78
how bout this?

Eat charred weiners and drink coffee???

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by depth om

That's fool talk. He allowed himself to be killed. I thought you read the bible from "cover-to-cover", "TWICE". Someones a hippo here.

yes, he allowed himself to be killed. that's why i said his decision making skills weren't all that great.

now, here's what god would approve of (according to the bible)

mass rape
genocide
slaughter of children
toying with people for personal amusement
jealousy
homophobia
misogyny

just to name a few things.

wwgs? well, i think god would say "do as i say, not as i do"

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by queenannie38

how bout this?

Eat charred weiners and drink coffee???

whats this??
are you a closet zappa fan?
that is not information that a casual listener usually knows...

don't forget the non stop winstons

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   

yes, he allowed himself to be killed. that's why i said his decision making skills weren't all that great.

Or that you question his decision making skills...

All questions will be answered.

now, here's what god would approve of (according to the bible)

mass rape
genocide
slaughter of children
toying with people for personal amusement
jealousy
homophobia
misogyny

just to name a few things.

wwgs? well, i think god would say "do as i say, not as i do"

No that is what MAN says. G.O.D. says do as I do.

Do not fear.
Do not fear death.
Die for the sake of truth because death is the only true lie.
Believe only.
Believe in the power of love.
BE LIVE. (bee leave?)
Overcome the love of power.

Man loves power.
God powers love.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
James Marshall Hendrix.

So mote it be.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   

whats this??
are you a closet zappa fan?
that is not information that a casual listener usually knows...

I am anything but the casual listener.

Music is my religion.
Just like Jimi Hendrix.
Just like Adolf Hitler.
(did I say that? by GOD yes I did!!!)

I AM out of the closet - NOT that I was ever literally in it - it just appeared that way to many.

They might lock up our bodies but they will never lock up our souls. That is the only true impossibility.

don't forget the non stop winstons

How could I?
I never forget anything.

John Winston Lennon.
The Winston's have become Pink Camel #9's.
But remain non-stop.
The same as it ever was....
Let the good times roll!!!

The Rock is ready to roll!
Brushing my rock and roll hair...

PEACE

ps
Today is the day that John Lennon came to NY from the UK, never to return again.

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 03:04 PM
link   
queenannie38, exactly which god are you referring to? or are you just creating a spiritual concept of perfection with no real reference point?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Madness~

there is only ONE G.O.D.

God is love

G ood
O rderly
D irection

Spirit
Truth
Sound
Light
Energy

I can't really define GOD as I understand GOD, further than that. I would have to say it is more of an experience than just an idea.

are you just creating a spiritual concept of perfection with no real reference point?/

That sounds like a grand idea!

However, I think it has been done already.

Perhaps 'manifesting' instead of 'creating' would make that sentence something I could say 'YES' to....

How do you define 'real' anyway?
Not that it matters, I just never asked you that before.

Einstein said:
Reality is an illusion albeit a persistent one.

And I tend to agree.
With just about all I know he said.

join