It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Flat Daddy - and Flat Mommy - Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:36 PM
link   

dicksdaily.co.uk..." border=0>

Life-sized likenesses of Guard members ease separation pains

Lt. Col. Randall Holbrook travels just about everywhere with his wife Mary and their two sons, Justin, 14, and Logan, 5.

He’s quietly in the background on family outings to the grocery store, to restaurants, camping, even on Mary’s most recent visit to her gynecologist.

Randall has little to say because he’s a ‘‘Flat Daddy,’’ a two-dimensional foam board likeness from the waist up of the Maine Army National Guard officer from Hermon who was sent to Afghanistan in January with the 240th Engineer Group of Augusta.

The Guard has provided more than 100 of the cutouts to families of deployed service members as a way to ease the pain of separation.
‘‘It’s comforting,’’ Mary Holbrook told the Bangor Daily News. ‘‘It did help me adjust a lot.’’

More...

I know the article is long, but you have to read the whole thing!

Is it just me or does anyone else find this article as disturbing on so many levels?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:50 PM
link   
ROFLMAO.

Wait, so like a cardboard cut out?

and I mean... haha. wow. just wow.

omg, people are nuts.

I mean I just picture some nascar fan, having a life size cardboard thing of dale earnhardt, and then like saying to his wife "damn it woman git me and dale ahh burr!"

hahahaha...

as for the children.. lol therapy later in life?

My... fajah... he was a cardboard poster man...

Sometimes I could hear him talking to me...

And that glare in his eyes... HORRIFYING!!!

[edit on 31-8-2006 by Lysergic]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Lysergic

Dead on, buddy. Dead on!

I'm only laughing in discomfort because that article is so damn SCARY!!!

[edit on 31-8-2006 by loam]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I liked the last comment at the end of the article.

"Why don't we send the flat daddys to Irag and Afganistan and bring all the real daddies home."

I see what the military is trying to do and it makes perfect sense in sort of a perverse way. Maybe the military should send flat famlies to Irag for the troops to love and talk to. Makes about as much sense.

It just occured to me. Why flat daddys? How about inflatable plastic people with proper equipment, for a more realistic time. Know what I mean!

It truly is a brave new world; welcome to the Monkey house.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by whaaa]

[edit on 1-9-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
That just disturbeing. Really sad but funny. (this is very strange in my opinion)

[edit on 1-9-2006 by El Che]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
"Then Sherri began hearing Kevin talking while alone in his room."

The above is just not funny - get the kid to use a telephone for goodness sake.

"It wasn't me who killed mommy!! Flat Daddy did it!! he told me to! he did it I swear!"

The above is a thing we all hear far far too often - people talking to themselves and then...boom Headshots!

[edit on 1-9-2006 by D4rk Kn1ght]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
OMG this is wrong on so many levels....

I to love the comment
"why don't we send our flat daddies over there and let the real ones come back."

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Yeah this is nuts....

Anyone who needs a flat daddy or whatever has some serious issues, imo.

I can understand having many pictures around of whoever is deployed, especially for babies so they don't forget who is who....but a waste up cardboard cut-out is just plain stupid.

Hmm, this lady sounds like she's done just about everything with the "flat daddy"....

Sporty

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:47 AM
link   

I agree this is bizarre.

I live in the North East and Maine people can be like that.
So can NH people.
They're in their own world.

I never thought they'd go this far, though.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Strange? This is beyond strange, right on into wierd, no make that damned wierd.

Flat mommy? Flat daddy? Get thee to therapy...or a emergency discharge, because these people have issues that need to be addressed.

OMG, if it weren't so scary wierd, it'd be funny. Nothing remotely funny about this.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Indeed, this is one of the strangest things I have ever read about. What is going to happen to these kids when their parents come home? They already developed a "relationship" with the cardboard, will they transfer this relationship to the mother/father upon return? I'm all for easing the pain of a child going through this, it just seems that this particular method is pretty unhealthy.

It's a strange, strange world.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This kind of explains why Stephen Kings movies were so creepy. He used characters from Maine in most of his movies. Some were people he knew as a child.
No offense to people from Maine here (i dont know of any)

Maybe its the cold weather.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This is so not right. I agree with Loam, scary on many levels.
But hey, we have puppets in government, why not this?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm reminded of Norman Bates and his efforts to 'hang on' to his mother (or something that looked like her ) after she was gone....

Does this say something about the make up of the human psyche??

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Gotta look on the bright side...

Flat Daddy never gets drunk and beats the crap out of his kids.

I've known a lot of kids who would prefer a Flat Daddy over the standard issue insecure, violent, pea-brained, Drunken Daddy.

Can we extend this program outside the confines of the military, and start providing these things to abused children while the abusers themselves are taken out back and made to dig their own graves?

I dunno..somewhat more on topic, I don't get a particularly strange feeling reading about this program. There's a lot of other developments more apt to raise my hackles - this seems timid by comparison.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Wyrdeone,

You nailed it.

A good perspective.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
What is going to happen when the 3D daddies an mommies return?

Could they be left out of the house because they already have a flat one, who always agrees with them, doesn't cost anything and is always polite in family reunions?

This is a strange way of dealing with things, and I hope that the ones involved are sane enough to survive this without any problems.

But this gave me an idea. Why not expand this to the political level?

We could have a flat president, a flat parliament, flat mayors, etc. After all, almost all elections are a little flat nowadays...

new topics

top topics

join