It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA/USGS Rotational Tuning Facility #9

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I grew up in Lynchburg, Va and never saw this thing.

Lynchburg, Virginia is home to an unusual scientific facility, a "rotational tuning" station, part of a global network of twenty-four such stations operated jointly by NASA and the U.S. Geological Survey. Each station houses three powerful F-5 rocket engines which are fired in tandem with those at all stations around the globe when it becomes necessary to make minuscule corrections in the Earth's rotational speed (angular velocity). The global array was built in the early 1970's and has been used for two corrections, the most recent firing occurring on August 16, 1988 in which a synchronized burn lasted 8 minutes and 14 seconds. Another correction was scheduled for May 2003, but was cancelled after it was deemed unnecessary. Rotational Tuning Facility #9 is just south of River Ridge Mall in Lynchburg, however, the facility is within a government restricted area and visitors are not allowed.

The article with a picture is here:
www.retroweb.com...

The last time I visited my hometown, I searched for this thing from the area of River Ridge Mall (it's up high on a hill) and didn't see a thing.

I'm thinking that if they start this thing up, wouldn't the area residents hear or feel something??

[edit on 31-8-2006 by annestacey]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:10 AM
link   
It must be in "Valleyville", along with the headless cat and the low gravity cavern, the subject of another thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I started that thread as well, but according to the original article, there is supposedly a tour bus that takes visitors to some of these places (including this rotational facility) so evidently it's there and it's real.

www.retroweb.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The original website that all these others get their info from is that Lynchburg tourist sight... (and the only web location for the gravity cave, headless cat, and other oddities)

for a news article, a journalist went and actually found that websites author...
and asked him point blank> what is real, and what isn't...

he wouldn't say... but he did say that he included some fake places, to test peoples gullibility factor...

guess he didn't understand that we call those "guillability testers" con-men, and liars...
and BS artists... and they tend to have few friends for long...
I just hate bozos like that one, that put even more false information on the web, to snag honest researchers (like ATSers) for years...

This picture is of something else, I am sure... what it is, who knows... not me...
but I suspect that it is a base where they disassemble old missles. or do testing for rocket engines...

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
why would the earth need a rotational tuning facility anyway? if the planet had the ability to move off of it's axis/orbit then how would it have been corrected before the industrial revolution?/ before rocket engines were created?

[edit on 6-9-2006 by solidshot]

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot
why would the earth need a rotational tuning facility anyway? if the planet had the ability to move off of it's axis/orbit then how would it have been corrected before the industrial revolution?/ before rocket engines were created?

[edit on 6-9-2006 by solidshot]

Maybe it was never corrected before.

I actually have a hard time believing this one. I grew up in Lynchburg and I would think that a rocket engine would cause some kind of noise and/or disturbance that would be noticeable.

I think I may send my nephews on a hunt for this thing. At least they can maybe get some pictures of the area where it's supposedly located. The area is surrounded by hills and mountains (with excellent views of the city).

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If it is close, it might give a clear idea of whether the pictured structure is even at that location...

otherwise though, their is enough about this story already to defy scientific logic, so I would right it off as a gas waster...

but maybe such a place does exist, but was merely labled wrong for the humor effect...
and if it does exist, then they could find out what it DOES truly do (which will have nothing to do with realigning the orbital rotation speed IMHO)

It is obviously a real place, but probably not really in VA.
and it does obviously have some major rocket exhaust going on...

and your contention that it could be heard is true... such a facility could be heard mountains/miles away... and cause enough seismic disturbance throughout that area to knock pictures off walls.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
If it is close, it might give a clear idea of whether the pictured structure is even at that location...

Yes, my sister lives less than 5 miles from that location. Lynchburg is a small town.

I tried to look at it on Google Earth but the area is fuzzy for some reason. If you look for Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va., that will get you in the general location. If you can find River Ridge Mall, the article states that this facility is just south of there.

I'll talk to my sister and have her send her 21-year old son out there to investigate the area.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 11:43 AM
link   
when the test jet engines in test beds it had a verticle chimney stack that sends the sound upwards and you can't hear it i live quite close to the rolls royce aero engines factory and test site and i never hear a thing

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 04:00 PM
link   
How would these rockets even work?

pointed in what direction to make the axis turn? this sounds crazy. Wouldn't (we) the people on earth feel something odd?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by puhatek
How would these rockets even work?

pointed in what direction to make the axis turn? this sounds crazy. Wouldn't (we) the people on earth feel something odd?

According to the article, there's supposedly many of these scattered around on the earth and they can fire up several of them at once. I'm a programmer, not a rocket scientist... LOL.

But yeah, I grew up in Lynchburg where this thing is located and I certainly never felt or heard anything out of the ordinary like that.

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   
So the heavy use of photoshopped pictures as well as abundance of impossible feats didn't clue you in to the fact that the page is most likely a humor site? Not to mention this:

If you desire more information on any of the "attractions" described on this site, please use the e-mail link at the bottom of the page. Please DO NOT contact local tourism agencies, museums, historical societies, or any offices or individuals associated with the mentioned localities, as they would likely doubt your sanity as a result.

And to Lazarus, I would sincerely hope that any real researcher would see the site for what it is in less than a few seconds and dismiss it outright. If you're caught "for years" researching a "Tuning Facility" that correct's the planet's rotation...well, maybe you had best find a new line of work.

A headless cat? Please...

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thousand
So the heavy use of photoshopped pictures as well as abundance of impossible feats didn't clue you in to the fact that the page is most likely a humor site? Not to mention this:

If you desire more information on any of the "attractions" described on this site, please use the e-mail link at the bottom of the page. Please DO NOT contact local tourism agencies, museums, historical societies, or any offices or individuals associated with the mentioned localities, as they would likely doubt your sanity as a result.

And to Lazarus, I would sincerely hope that any real researcher would see the site for what it is in less than a few seconds and dismiss it outright. If you're caught "for years" researching a "Tuning Facility" that correct's the planet's rotation...well, maybe you had best find a new line of work.

A headless cat? Please...

I would like to quote another member of this site, Umbra Sideralis:

Never judge a single subject just because it is posted in a spoof/hoax place!, if you do, you will never go too far as a serious researcher! truths normaly can be hidden in lies and jokes!

I would rather prove this facility to be nonexistent as opposed to just forgetting about it. Isn't that one of the reasons for this site... to prove or disprove the existence and/or validity of questionable topics?

posted on Sep, 7 2006 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
I would rather prove this facility to be nonexistent as opposed to just forgetting about it. Isn't that one of the reasons for this site... to prove or disprove the existence and/or validity of questionable topics?

The facility has proved itself to be nonexistent with its description - there is no way any current human created force can alter the rotation of the earth, aside from maybe an extremely large scale thermonuclear weapon. Maybe. To claim that they're doing it with rockets? The whole idea is ludicrous. I will concede that there may be a facility there, but it is definitely not used for what it is said it is used for.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I grew up hunting all over those hills south of River Ridge Mall.....This site is bogus. No such thing.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Thats the first Ive heard of such an operation, but who knows. My dad works for USGS so Ill ask him and report his reply tomorrow or asap.

[edit on 11/18/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Not to bump an ancient thread, but I know what this is. It's a testing unit for the F-1 rocket motor, used on the Saturn V rocket. There's one at Edwards AFB, and I'm fairly sure this is the same thing.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/90827142791f.jpg[/atsimg]
The unit at Edwards.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Wow, that's the new global warming doomsday machine!

posted on May, 28 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ahnggk
Wow, that's the new global warming doomsday machine!

Not really. It runs on kerosene and liquid oxygen, which burns relatively cleanly.

posted on May, 31 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
That site in Lynchburg is BS but this one is real. It's Areva, they make fuel rods and other components for nuclear reactor around the nation. Located on the James River outside Lynchburg.

AREVA NP Inc. 3315 Old Forest Road Lynchburg, VA 24501

World leader in the design and construction of nuclear power plants, and the supply of fuel, maintenance and modernization services.

[edit on 31-5-2010 by Jack Jouett]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join