It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Town that Doesn't Exist

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Does anyone have information on "Valleyville"? I grew up near this area and never knew it existed. But then supposedly no one knows about it.

Here is the article:

Hidden away in the Shenandoah Valley, "Valleyville" is considered by many to be Central Virginia's own twist on the legendary "Area 51." Like its famous counterpart, Valleyville is an off-limits region whose only access roads are gated and guarded, whose perimeter is electronically sealed and monitored, and whose existence itself is denied by the government. Unlike Area 51, however, Valleyville serves an entirely different purpose. There are no runways at Valleyville and no top-secret aircraft being tested in the middle of the night, and there are most certainly no pieces of UFO wreckage or frozen alien corpses secreted away there. Instead, Valleyville is by all outward appearances a town...a seemingly self-contained town which for all intents and purposes is sealed off from the rest of the world.

Tucked away in a nook-and-cranny of the Blue Ridge Mountains and Shenandoah Valley, there is no vantage point in Valleyville from which another town or even a road can be seen. Likewise, it is nearly impossible for the outside world to peer into Valleyville, and airspace within three miles of the town's center is restricted.

Shown here is a rare photo of the town, a very fuzzy image taken several years ago with an extreme telephoto lens by a daring soul who ignored sternly-worded warning signs and who braved barbed wire to reach a distant vantage point. What is the purpose of Valleyville? There is much speculation, but the running consensus is that Valleyville is in all probability some form of international (or possibly internal) political "detainment center."

A Charlottesville newspaper in 1994 hired former Navy Seal Peter McGowan to infiltrate Valleyville and uncover its secrets, but after acknowledging initial entry, radio contact was broken and McGowan was never heard from again. Efforts are ongoing to bring down the shroud of secrecy surrounding the town, but for the time being, Valleyville remains the "Town That Doesn't Exist."

The article with the pictures is here:
www.retroweb.com...
~~~~~~~~~~~
Mod Edit - added 'ex' tags

Please review this
link

Also changed link - advertising
You have a U2U regarding this.

[edit on 31-8-2006 by masqua]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Intriguing find, annestacy...I've never heard of this facility before and I'm wondering what our membership can add to this mystery. It would also be good to find out what befell Peter McGowan after his attempt to get to the bottom of it.

Just the type of story ATSers like to sink their teeth into...rare and juicy.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:54 PM
link   
anyone seen prison break?? you know where the guy is meant to be dead but instead he is secretly tucked away out of sight. couldnt this be some same kindof idea, who might live there...?...Hitler??...?...

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
As I have no idea where this place is, not even closely, could you perhaps get the co-ordinates for a looksie on Google Earth?

McP

EDIT: Great post, nice find!

[edit on 31/8/06 by Mcphisto]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mcphisto
...could you perhaps get the co-ordinates for a looksie on Google Earth?

I've been surfing like crazy trying to find anything at all which could pin it down.

the first link to come up was this Wiki entry...

en.wikipedia.org...

Allegedly secreted away in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley

Not much to go on, but I'll keep looking.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ok, so how big is this supopse to be, like big enough to be a town,
as it is called, or more like a large complex?

Perhaps it's Like Eureka, a secret town where the scientific minds
of the country live to develop science and technology.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Yeah I've been Googling it for a couple of years and have never found anything except the original website where I got the story that discusses "little-known attractions of Central Va". I put the story on my own site (Mystigate) so that people could at least contribute something if they know anything.

I posted my own comment as admin where I have seen signs posted in various places in the Blue Ridge Mountains but never really investigated it.

The last few years I've been really eager to find more information but haven't found anything.

I figure when it's announced that the President or Vice-President is relocated to "an undisclosed location", maybe it's there.

There is another story about the town of Lynchburg, Va (my hometown) that is all about an explosion that caused a sinkhole in a residential neighborhood back in the 50's, and it's suspected that it may have been caused by the construction of an underground government facility. How crazy it that?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have a U2U

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by marcopolo
anyone seen prison break?? you know where the guy is meant to be dead but instead he is secretly tucked away out of sight. couldnt this be some same kindof idea, who might live there...?...Hitler??...?...

Yes I LOVE Prison Break!! My fave show!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Here is the story about the sinkhole:

www.retroweb.com...

Lynchburg West End Sinkhole

On the morning of March 13, 1953, dozens of residents of Lynchburg's "West End" were jolted out of their beds and arose to discover the earth literally collapsing under them. An underground explosion of unknown origin had triggered a "sinkhole," and over the course of only a few minutes, the sinkhole swallowed over fifteen homes in this once-fashionable suburb of the town. To the left is an aerial view taken within a few hours of the development of the sinkhole. The smoke visible in the photo is from homes still smoldering from fires triggered by the disaster. Remarkably, only two people lost their lives in this bizarre tragedy. The map to the right shows the area affected by the sinkhole, an area which was sealed off immediately following the extraction of casualties and of the injured. Undisturbed for nearly fifty years, the affected area is now overgrown and generally inaccessible due to the dangers associated with the open pit and the unstable partially-collapsed structures. To the left is the view today down Wingfield Avenue, which was dead-ended by the sinkhole.

UPDATE: The nature of the underground explosion which triggered the West End Sinkhole remains unknown to this day, but a study in 1992 concluded that the explosion occurred approximately 7000 feet below the surface. Speculation on the cause ranges from an occurrence of nature involving a trapped pocket of gas to an accidental explosion in a suspected subterranean government facility.

I grew up in Lynchburg and never knew about this sinkhole.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mod Edit - added link

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
unfortunately couldnt find anything on the Peter McGowan story. the small section of map they show seems to be bogus. maybe its just old and some of the road numbers have changed? all the satellite imagery I can find wont zoom in enough to tell much in that area either. anyone got the goods on this place?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well I seem to have found this place, though the quality isn't the best and there is nothing for it on the Google community either! Strange!

I cant type the degrees symbols but they are after the first number ok!

37 51' 08. 43" N 79 20' 40.46" W

I hope that works for you.

McP

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I don't see anything at those coordinates. One things that I did notice is that at the top of the page of "attractions" it has a dislcoimer that says:

"If you desire more information on any of the "attractions" described on this site, please use the e-mail link at the bottom of the page. Please DO NOT contact local tourism agencies, museums, historical societies, or any offices or individuals associated with the mentioned localities, as they would likely doubt your sanity as a result."

Also, the small map does not match up well with a real map. if you look up Buena Vista, VA and Vesuvius, VA they are both in the same area, but not in the orientation shown. The site looks questionable at best, at it sounds like people have had trouble finding any other source of information about "Valleyville."

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:11 AM
link   
You guys realize that this is being talked about on a site with articles about headless cats and low gravity caves right?

I think "little-known" should be changed to "make-believe".

www.retroweb.com...

"Mags" the Headless Cat

Found along the Lynchburg Expressway by city employee Earl Swinton, what at first appeared to be the remains of another misfortuned animal soon became the surprise of Earl's life. Swinton had collected the remains of a cat which had been decapitated in an accident, but a half hour later as he was disposing of his collection for the day, Earl was shocked when he noticed that the cat's headless body was breathing.

The Galax "Gravity Hole"
(the world's only known low-gravity cavern)

Although not actually in central Virginia, the Galax low-gravity cavern bears inclusion here for its uniqueness. In 1996, Virginia spelunkers Tim Doyle and Vaughan James were exploring unmapped areas of a cave near Galax, Virginia when they entered a chamber in which they suddenly felt light on their feet. They quickly discovered to their utter amazement that, in this chamber, they could effortlessly leave the ground merely by "pushing off," and rise high into the chamber before gently falling back to the floor.

I'm not even going into the anotomically correct dolls, and the popcorn blizzrard.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I would love to know more about this valleyville place but the website is questionable.

I tried googling the "Zeiglehr Effect" which I thought sounded strange and there is only 4 results and two of those are a bad astronomy forum!

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
lol what a crock of crack that is!

Headless cat...low grav caves....lmao at the source... next they'll be telling us of a B-25 on the moon and Elvis is alive and GW Bush is his puppet master....

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Ummm..

Its a spoof site. Its not real. Its made up.

Theres an article about a headless cat on it for christs sake.

The rhino is so obviously pasted onto the picture that its laughable.

Did any of you READ the site at all?

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Did any of you READ the site at all?

U read the link, but no I was'nt particularly interested in looking
at anymore of the site.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I agree that a lot of the stories on the site are ridiculous (and an embarrassment to the locals I'm sure), but aside from the crap, some of these items are for real. So please try not to discount these other stories.

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   
It's DEFINITELY a spoof site. For absolute confirmation, read the comments at the end where people are trying to find the "church of Spock". Hilarious.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Definitely a spoof site, but done in such a way that the reader almost, not quite, but almost has that quick fleeting thought that maybe it is true.
Or maybe not. Anyway, I grew up in Lynchburg (Diamond Hill area) and walked / drove past many of the locations mentioned on the website, such as the Doughboy Statue, The Midnight Meteorite (there really is a big rock next to the James River in downtown Lynchburg, but it's not a meteorite). It's a rather entertaining site - been around for a while.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join