It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. Solders Sent To Sudan Without Approval

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Acting after genocide the U.N. has voted to send solders to the Darfur region of Sudan. This is being done without the permission of the government of Sudan. This represents the first time U.N. solders have ever been sent to a nation without the permission of the government. This is being justified be the principle of responsibility to protect war victims. The Principle was made after the massacre or nearly one million Rwandans in 1994 while U.N. solders stood by and unable to intervene. China, Russia and Qatar obtained from the vote to send in the solders, not because the opposed the operation, but because they said there was a rush to make the vote. Hostilities had began again after a peace agreement was sighed on May 5th.

news.monstersandcritics.com< br /> The vote represented the first-ever deployment of UN troops without host government consent.

Security Council members said they acted under the so-called principle of 'responsibility to protect' war victims whether or not the governments approve of the UN presence.

That principle was drawn up following the massacre of nearly 1 million Rwandans in 1994 while a UN peace force stood by, unable to intervene.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This conflict has been going on in the region for a long time. It was declared genocide over a year ago to the best of my memory. The massacrers started over ten years ago as I recall. So far as I am concerned this should have happened a long time ago. I don't know if this will be the cure for the problem, but I am hopping that the mission of the U.N. will be carried out. I also don't know what is meant by the nations that obtained from the vote because it was being rushed, when it has been three months since the sighing of the peace accord which has failed. Maybe peace will have a chance.

Related News Links:
www.voanews.com
news.bbc.co.uk
www.zeenews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
TA-911: Flight to 911 - Al-Qaeda's Goal of al Khalifa
The Problems With The Middle East
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Wow. They are sure growing a budding set of nads. I hope this mission will have more volunteers then the S. Lebanon "mission."

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Perhaps they will be defneding the villages with air power? I mean the enemy there rides around on horses, I do not believe they are carrying any SAM's or have enough money to acquire any kind of air power.

See we need to just get those little water machines they have scatterd across our towns that cost a quarter a gallon, and install them in all the villages, and then just post a few dozen peacekeepers with humvees and an apache for eveyr few. this way they can maintain peace within a few villages without those asshole raiders #ing # up.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Wow. They are sure growing a budding set of nads. I hope this mission will have more volunteers then the S. Lebanon "mission."

Sardion,
Good and to the point coment

I think there will half to be more people invalved in this one if it has any hope of working. And since the security counsil did vote this with out the aproval of the nation invalved, that would be an indication that there will be enuff people there to handle the situation, hopefully.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
China, Russia and Qatar obtained from the vote to send in the solders, not because the opposed the operation, but because they said there was a rush to make the vote. Hostilities had began again after a peace agreement was sighed on May 5th.

Do you mean they abstained from voting?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Do you mean they abstained from voting?

Woops, I missed that one, yes you are right. I will go back and try to fix that.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The problem with using differnt countries military forces to prop up governments under the UN banner is that "Peacekeepers" never have enough teeth to have an effect on the situation and they are never in place long enough to do any long term good.

A recent example of this is East Timor the UN and the likes Aust and NZ pulled out as soon as the UN mandate expired. Of course Aust and NZ troops have returned to East Timor in an attempted to return law and order in the streets.

The motto of the story the UN shouldnt have taken the quick exit. The whole concept of peacekeeping and the UN involvement needs to be reviewed with changes made to make so called peace keeping an effective option.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hear is some new information on what is happening with Darfur.

Opening the 24th France-Africa summit in the Riviera resort of Cannes, Jacques Chirac on Thursday urged the Sudanese government and rebels to accept the deployment of an international peace force in Darfur.

"I ask all the combatants and the government of Sudan... to accept the deployment of a peace force, to stop all attacks, to respect civilian populations and humanitarian workers, to understand the dead end and horror of a policy for the worst and to choose reconciliation," Chirac said in his opening address.

A civil war has been taking place in Darfur since February 2003, causing some 200,000 deaths and the displacement of at least 2.5 million people.
sorce

The key points hear is asking Sudan to accept peace with the native people in Darfur, and an international peace keeping force.
What is happening in the reagon will probably play a part in what happens next, namely the Ethiopia, Somalia conflict.
However Sudan has shown its willingness to slaughter some 200,000 people use the bodies of the dead to pollute wells, and destroy the homes of 2.5 million more. So when someone encourages Sudan to accept the peace and the foreign peacekeepers, I seriously doubt that is going to happen.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:21 AM
link   
So the U.N is charging into a region without permission and the common hope is that they stay until the job is done?

Ummmmmmm..............

Im sure I dont have to point out the simultaneous parallels and hypocrasies to another ongoing event.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
So the U.N is charging into a region without permission and the common hope is that they stay until the job is done?

Ummmmmmm..............

Im sure I dont have to point out the simultaneous parallels and hypocrasies to another ongoing event.

The UN does not need permission as it gives the permission. You have misunderstood the article. The reason why the Un never went in originally is that the Sudanese Government refused to co-operate. Now, the Un has gone in anyway, regardless what the Sudanese say. This still passed a UNSC vote, unlike the particular other thing you mentioned.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well, as a long-time outspoken critic of the UN, I can only say ... Huh? Anyway, good move, UN.
Maybe it's because Kofi is gone that they have finally done something that needs to be done.

You can't always wait for the gov't to agree with intervention, since they are the problem in many cases.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Becky,
as I recall it was a small number that went into Darfur. For large numbers to go in I don't think that is going to happen yet, with out approval from the government.
I just think if that was going to happen it would have already happened.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem
Becky,
as I recall it was a small number that went into Darfur. For large numbers to go in I don't think that is going to happen yet, with out approval from the government.
I just think if that was going to happen it would have already happened.

Well, there are things happening in Africa which are not widely reported, such as China's involvement in Darfur. So far, the US views their involvement as a positive development.

www.voanews.com...

China is an increasingly important player in Africa.

And it seems like Mugabe is on his way out.

allafrica.com...

There will be big developments in Africa over the next two years.

top topics

join