It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mice...How do you get rid of them??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   

We rent a big house on the outskirts of Hyannis, in Cape Cod. Lots of land and lots of trees....
Anyway, last night i couldnt sleep and spent the night curled up on the couch because i spotted two mice playing in my kitchen.

Does anyone know if i borrow my sons cat will that take care of it?? Is there a better way?
I dont like beheading them with an ordinary mouse trap!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   
There are some mice traps that you can get which trap them and they are safe and not harmed... but i dont know whether you can get them there.

Or get ferrit poo and put it in ur kitchen and they will run for their dear lifes... it works trust me i live by a railway.

Hope this helped ta.

Oni x x

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I say the cat is the best way.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   
One cat is good, two is better. You never have to worry about pests when cats are roaming your house.

And yes.........John Travolta is gay.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Do i have to have mice and find out Travolta is gay all in the same day??

Thank you for all your advice. I think i'm going to go with the cat for the next couple of days...

I'm going to go pick it up soon.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I have 2 cats and they do an excellent job....however I'm not against decon, or the little traps that snap. I had a couple of rats a week ago geting into my chicken coop after the grains, and I gave them some lethal treats to eat, and they were all dead in 3 days. But if you go lethal, make sure it's in a safe place where only the little invaders can get to it. My cat's won't mess with rats, so I had to take measures of my own. That's part of living way out in the country & having live stock.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:14 AM
link   
OK the Cat has arrived!!!

I'll let you know what happens!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
We had a mouse problem all over our building and I had one living in my kitchen. I got a sticky mouse trap thing and put it in front of where it was hiding in a gap with some peanut butter bait, and in just a few hours it got mired in it. According to instructions for not killing the mouse, I took it outside and poured oil all over the thing to get it off and it scampered away.

edit:

BTW, I did have a cat, but she was an old lazy fat one that wouldn't know a mouse was food if it bit her on the you-know-what!

[edit on 8/31/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Djohn,

I know what you mean. I once had a dog and she thought she was a cat. Sometimes they dont know their purpose.

Well, the cat looks spooked.

I hope this works. I'm allergic to cats.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   
dg, if you use some humane trap and try to release the mouse outside, make sure you wear heavy gloves while handling it. Mice can carry rabies and you don't want to be bitten by one!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Rabies?

Oh i hadn't thought of that.

I will be careful.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
My cat is actually afraid of mice. We saw a mouse in our kitchen, put the cat by it, and he bolted out of the kitchen.

Humane traps are easy to find. I don't know how well they work though.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
A funny side note to the cat suggestion is when I was growing up our cats would chase rats off into some tight crevice somewhere in the house and the rat would just die there. Then weeks later the house would smell like death warmed over and it would take us forever to find the corpse.

Peace

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
About 15 years ago before we bought our house...we lived in this old house on 2 acres, and we had a mouse in the walls behind the head of our bed that kept us awake at night, for weeks my husband was trying to find that mouse, and BINGO one night it got in the wall heater vent...and he shot that mouse with a BB gun. I told him he better take that apart and get that dead mouse out, before it gets ransid... well 3 days later once it was stinking so bad, and we couldn't stand to be in the bedroom he finally took that heater apart and got the mouse out. LOL

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I recommend shotguns; it'd be totally METAL

That or like tiny guillotines baited with cheese oh yeah SO METAL!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:39 PM
link   
All you need is a farmers wife with a carving knife apparently.

Only good if the mice are blind though.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mojo4sale
All you need is a farmers wife with a carving knife apparently.

Only good if the mice are blind though.
lol We're on "Mouse alert" here

BTW, the cat sleeps a lot

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Don't go for some wussy pussy that's still wet behind the ears.

Go for a shaved bruiser that needs to regain it's self respect.
They have attitude and something to prove.

Bigger is not always better because a young and spry animal that misses a few meals can be more motivated to hunt for rodent snacks.

One word of advice would be to take the mouse away from the cat after it's had some time to play with the prey, then reward it with some nice cat treats like it's favorite food or snack.

I don't think mice are a very good diet for domestic cats...........

But at least try to get yourself a cat with a grudge, and a desire to put some fear into the mice.

EDIT: spelling & spaceing

[edit on 31/8/2006 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Well, this cat is useless, i think. Its 9pm ET and he's been sleeping on the opposite couch with his back turned to me.

I wont go to bed. I saw the critters head that way last night...:shk:

UPDATE: My husband got some METAL. I cant bear to see that guillotine. Some will be upset, but its the metal for my buddies. But now i cant set the traps until the cat is gone.

AD: Thanks for the kitty pictures. This one looks wimpy. Nothing to prove.

[edit on 31-8-2006 by dgtempe]

[edit on 31-8-2006 by dgtempe]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:30 PM
link   
As you have already discovered, some cats know what to do with a mouse and some don't. Item: Generally the female cats are much superior hunters over male cats, plus female cats don't spray urine all over the house.

As someone already pointed out, there can be serious health consequences of having mice in your home. Rabies is just for starters. In rural areas of the U.S., there is also a risk of coming down with Hanta virus, which is endemic in deer mice. This disease is usually fatal in humans, and there is no known cure. The Hopi Indians, for example, have a saying that's more than a little scary: "The man and the mouse should never live in the same dwelling." Another scary possibility is Toxoplasmosis, also incurable but not lethal, at least not to humans. Cats often get Toxoplasmosis from eating infected animals. Humans get it from changing the litter boxes of infected cats (so wear those rubber gloves when changing the litter).

Do take this mouse-in-house situation seriously. Consider if the total number of mice is small enough for the feline "rodent engineers" to control. Personally I favor the mouse-paper method or ye olde mousetrap. Bait the trap with peanut butter... cheese as bait only works in the cartoon shows. As you already saw, the cat(s) must be kept away from the armed mousetraps. If you have an army of mice, then only poison will work (sorry).

Bottom line is, you have to find out - and eliminate - the way the mice are getting into your home. Common access paths are via laundry dryer air outflow pipes or under doors that allow a little too much clearance at ground level. Still not sure? Spread something on the floor in suspect areas that is a white powder (to show tracks) but that the mice will not eat. Laundry detergent is generally too smelly to work -- the mice will avoid it, being highly aroma-sensitive critters. Maybe cement dust. Don't use cornstarch...they will eat that and then you will be no further along.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join