It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. destroys its mustard gas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Only this month has the United States started to destroy the deadly mustard gas now outlawed by international treaty. The Army facility incinerates it at the well-guarded desert complex, which was home to 45 percent of the U.S. chemical weapons stockpile before destruction began a decade ago.

source

Have to admit i thought this had been destroyed some time ago? but isn't it a little ironic that a country that complained about WMD's still had them themselves?

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   
What does it matter? At least it is being destroyed. And I am happy to see that it is. Mustard gas is a pretty useless substance in warfare, as its unpredictable and horrible, and contaminates everything it touches. I am glad we are getting rid of it, and hope we also get rid of our Nerve and VX gas stockpiles soon. After all, we have enough effective weapons to effectively obliterate enemies without totally contaminating the land.

Maybe soon well get rid of DP too.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
weren't we supposed to destroy this after WW2?

of maybe it was 1, i'm not sure

but it should have been gone a while ago

thanks to the double standards of arms treaties we're allowed to do whatever we want with our most horrific weapons, YAY!

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

thanks to the double standards of arms treaties we're allowed to do whatever we want with our most horrific weapons, YAY!

Actually, its not really a "double standard of arms treaties"; we have had plans to destroy our chemical weapons stockpiles for at least 18 years. However, its all been pretty much in storage because we were trying to find a safe way to destroy the stuff. And even when "safe" ways were determined, the environemntal lobbies went nutz about how it was to be done (mind you these were some of the same groups who wanted the stuff destroyed, but then didn't like the idea of it being destroyed).

Prior to that we HAD gotten rid of large amounts of much older chemical weapons and had began to limit production throughout most of the mid to late 80's. What we had was mostly as a deterrent against the Soviets, who had HUGE chemical weapons programs.

[edit on 4-9-2006 by Sr Wing Commander]

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

yeah, you notice we destroy our stockpile dont you?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I really hate people who say the US has WMDs...

Wow, so the US has Nukes...whatever.

The US has had numerous programs to match Soviet WMD research to make antidotes and anti-septics and anti-biotics and vaccines.

That's it.

Russia has broken every WMD treaty it ever signed.

Why don't you complain about them you ignorant hypocrits?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The US has had numerous programs to match Soviet WMD research to make antidotes and anti-septics and anti-biotics and vaccines.

That's it.

Well, we do.

Nuclear weapons are WMDs.

We also have huge stockpiles of chemicals that are classed as
WMDs or material for such.

It's good that we came up with cures and not just diseases.

Russia realy is'nt a global power anymore either, and thy've been
slowly getting rid of theirs.

I suggest you reread the T&C about that last statement, especially the
part about not insulting your fellow members.

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:25 PM
link   
So what has been determined as the safe way to dispose of Mustard Gas? Where ya gonna put it? All forms of energy can not be destroyed, only transformed, so what in the world do you do with all the bad stuff?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Gotta make shelf space for all the new stuff

It does make me laugh though, remembering back to the start of the Iraq war and all the BS about Chemical Ali and the evil Iraqi Chem/Bio engineers. Just what makes them evil and our own folks, who tinker with ever more nasty substances, good guys?

posted on Sep, 6 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
That is the big question that will never be answered, isn't it?

I remember a bumper sticker I had it said "We live in a hypocricy, not a democracy"

I am getting so paranoid about biological warfare every time I get a runny nose I look to the sky for chem-trails or ask everyone around including doctors if they are noticing a trend!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidshot

Only this month has the United States started to destroy the deadly mustard gas now outlawed by international treaty.

aww, that sucks. Just when i had the hotdogs ready.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratrf_Rus

That's it.

Ah I see, the US WMD are all for peaceful purposes. How naive.

Ignorant hypocrites are the ones in the US government going after countries who have the same WMD as they do, often supplied directly by them and of course the ones who defend those actions.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Have to admit i thought this had been destroyed some time ago? but isn't it a little ironic that a country that complained about WMD's still had them themselves?
Indeed, all these people complaining about Iran should be hoping for Russia or China to invade the US and rid them of their illegal weapons, anything else would be hypocrisy of the highest degree.

posted on Sep, 11 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Indeed, all these people complaining about Iran should be hoping for Russia or China to invade the US and rid them of their illegal weapons, anything else would be hypocrisy of the highest degree.

just hope they make a stop over in england first

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I have to fess up.

My reaction to this thread title was to giggle and ask "so what?".
Mustard Gas. It's flipping Mustard gas! I had a Grandfather who fell to mustard gas... a very flippin long time ago.

I'm not exactly worried about Mustad gas. Take a leak on a sock and hold it over your mouth. Not pleasent, but you'll live.

What worries me is the weapons we know know exist, but don't know what they are. The ones know we don't know about. Flesh eating Disease? Soinc population affliction weapons? Captin Trips? What is the current level of the truely Top Secret weapons projects?

That thought alone scares me. Focus on exposing and destroying them and I'll be impressed.

new topics

top topics

join