It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rafale lost Norwegian

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:15 AM
link   
This could be expected as Franch quited EuroFighter project...
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...
Now Typhoon, one less opponenet.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:33 AM
link   
What happened to the rafale???

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:38 AM
link   
emile
I think Norway is going to go with the Gripen N, since it's tailored for their needs and it offers a good operational commonality with the swedes (If a Major war breaks out in Scandinavia Swedes and Norwegians will most likely work together, unless Swedes opt to use their trusted tactic "Fight till the last Finn"
)

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Good, I believe Gripen will be their best choice! I also said so in a thread here two years ago or so. Yes, Gripen had a couple of unlucky crashes which had a bad effect on selling their plane to the world. But it's a good plane, despite those unlucky circumstances. I believe the Norwegians will get more value for their money if they choose Gripen.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yeah Gripen's good now that they moved the ashtray handle away from the ejection handle

It's maxed out bad PR to crash your new and shiny fighter into the center of the capital...

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I think that Gripen should compete with Chinese FC-1 Thunder in third world countries. Most of European Country used F-16 or other advanced fighter which are closer to the Gripen, so the Gripen will be hard to be choosed.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The Gripen N is quite the airplane.

unless Swedes opt to use their trusted tactic "Fight till the last Finn"

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:38 AM
link   
www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

The GRIPEN N would be in front of JSF at this point as the JSF hasnt got anti shipping included at this point but this would be rectified shortly.
Up to 15% using enhanced RM12. 25% using the F414 and 40+ % using the new version of F414 that was announced by GE in 2005. There's plans to redesign the fuselarge to accept a larger engine diameter too such as the F110-GE-132 of UAE's F16. Saab said this large-diameter jet is likely one of the demonstrators to be financed by the Swedish military but they will make their call on what is most attractive for export. As usual they have more than one concept to work from. In October Gripen will present a updated offer to Norway so maybe they have more info then.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

have a looky at what it can do

they are allready testing an AESA radar for it

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I thought this topic was posted about how Rafale keep losing the customers? I guess I can get involve with Gripen chat because its dark horse jet fighter of 21st century. The pilots in the whole world knows that they cannot underestimate this very nimble but inferior fighter with aggressive Scandavlian pilots. I just read AirPower magazine that there's chapter that stated about SAAB is currently designing the larger and faster version of Gripen. Just think of F/A-18C-D Hornet evolved into F/A-18E-F Super Hornet.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 01:53 AM
link   
As said the Gripen is a good choise, it might not be as good as the F-35 but as northwolf said it would be very good for the "nordic defense" to cooperate with the swedes, because the spare parts will get cheaper, it's easier to train the pilots in a common language and in different trainings it's also easier to have the same fighter.

Too bad we didn't buy them, some generals eager to buy the best on the market instead of something more useful.

posted on Sep, 2 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
So many Gripen fans

Jezza:
If there is no plan to fit EJ200 on Gripen, how do u know that F414 will be fitted on Gripen?

Of course, if F414 would be fitted on Gripen, that will go ahead of FC-1 so far that the latter will never reach former.

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
So many Gripen fans

Jezza:
If there is no plan to fit EJ200 on Gripen, how do u know that F414 will be fitted on Gripen?

Of course, if F414 would be fitted on Gripen, that will go ahead of FC-1 so far that the latter will never reach former.
FC-1/JF-17 MULTIROLE FIGHTER AIRCRAFT

The FC-1 (Fighter China-1) Xiaolong, initially known as Super-7, is the single-seat, single-engine, multirole fighter aircraft developed by Chengdu Aircraft Industry Corporation (CAC) for export market. Currently three prototypes are flying. A joint venture between CAC and Pakistani Aeronautical Complex (PAC) will begin initial production of 16 aircraft in 2006. The designation of the aircraft in the Pakistani Air Force (PAF) is Joint Fighter-17 (JF-17) Thunder. It is still not clear whether the PLA Air Force will eventually acquire any of this aircraft.

PROGRAMME

In 1986 China signed a US$550 million agreement with Grumman to modernise its J-7 (Chinese copy of the MiG-21 Fishbed) fighter aircraft under the "Super-7" upgrade project. Western companies from the US and Britain were competing to provide the engine and avionics. The project was cancelled in early 1990, in the wake of the cooling of political relations with the West, as well as in response to a 40% increase in the cost of the project. However, Chengdu managed to continue the programme with its own resources and the project was re-branded as FC-1 (Fighter China-1).

Following the 1993 US sanction against China and Pakistan on the transfer of ballistic missile components and technology, problems of acquiring Western technology has driven Pakistan to seek helps from its Chinese ally. Beijing and Islamabad concluded a joint development and production agreement in June 1999 to co-develop the FC-1 fighter aircraft. According to the agreement, China Aviation Import and Export Corporation (CATIC) and Pakistan each contribute 50% of the development costs, which was estimated as about US$150 million. Chengdu was chosen to be the primary contractor, with Russian Mikoyan Aero-Science Production Group (MASPG) providing assistance in some design work as well as its RD-93 turbofan engine to power the aircraft.

The first FC-1 rolled out from the assembly line on 31 May 2003, and its 15-minute maiden flight took place on 24 August 2003. So far four prototypes have been built, with the second for static tests and the rest in flying tests. The initial production of 16 aircraft is expected to start in mid-2006, and the PAF has a requirement for 150 aircraft under the designation of the JF-17 to replace its Chengdu F-7P fighters in current service. Pakistani aviation industry will also be involved in the production of some avionics for the aircraft.

The FC-1 is mainly targeting the international market as a potential replacement for the second-generation fighters such as the Northrop F-5 Tiger, Dassault Mirage III/5, Shenyang J-6, MiG-21/F-7 Fishbed, and Nanchang Q-5 aircraft. CATIC and CAC are trying to persuade the PLAAF to acquire additional FC-1s to reduce the unit price, but a firm contract has yet been reached. In addition, CATIC/CAC is also trying to promote the aircraft to other potential customers including Bangladesh, Egypt and Nigeria.

DESIGN

The FC-1/Super-7 was originally defined as a low-cost third-generation air-superiority fighter aircraft to replace the MiG-21/F-7 Fishbed and Northrop F-5 series in service with many developing countries. With the participation of MASPG, the aircraft was re-branded as a lightweight, high-performance, multirole attack fighter aircraft featuring fly-by-wire (FBW) flight-control, beyond-vision-range (BVR) combat capability and much improved aerodynamic performance. These has also steered the unit price of the aircraft up by 50%, from the original US$10 million to US$15 million.

The aircraft has delta wings and a conventional tail, and might be capable of aerial refuel

posted on Sep, 3 2006 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I know your talking about engines but what i found was a fighter

new topics

top topics

join