It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Belief pt II - Your views

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Following on from a previous post, whether you can compare Alien Belief to a religion and its connections to faith I want to look at the topic from a different angle.

My question is this: What significant factor makes you (personally) believe or deibelieve in the existence of Alien life.

What I am hoping to achieve is to be able to collect a concensus of peoples genuine thoughts on why/why not they beleive/don't believe. I am not looking for attempts to persuade others of your views/beliefs - simply what 'you' truly feel.

Your views will not be open to debate in terms of people trying to to undo your theories.

I am intending to put together a paper on what peoples thoughts are so if you can state whether or not you mind you views being included I would appreciate that.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Quackers.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't mind.
The budget of the world sciences group (can't remember the name) for the discovery of External Life (within the Solar System) is very high.

If you're asking if people believe in Grays, Reptilians, Hollywood versions, little green men, etc. most won't buy into it.

However, the search of some life form (soil bacteria for instance) that is controllable is highly acceptable, and well funded by a large number of gov'ts.

This is evident from the space rock discovered in Antarctica that supposedly contained fossils from Mars.

I guess it all depends on your approach. If people are threatened by it, then it didn't, won't have had happened. If it is reversed to where people can exhibit exacting control, all's fair.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I fear the grey-abduction mostly american phenomenom is badly hurting ufology. Ufology is no longer a matter taken seriously by anybody. People like Jaquees Vallee, the famous scientist who wrote Passport to Magonia, have left the field in disgust. He never bought in the abduction stories.

I still want to believe that there is something out there. I'm a European, and here in Europe the abduction religion-phenomenom is minimal. Still, since american pop culture is so prevalent, it will arrive here too, as McDonalds did.

I have lots of family working in Iberia (Spanish airline) that have seen strange things in the skies, some of them very difficult to explain. So I believe in that.

In the little "grey" abductors, no, sorry.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:45 AM
link   
well i beleave there certainly is something out there
, it can't be only us in this infinite universe , its purely impossible.... in billions of gallaxies and an infinite number of stars assuming that at least half of them have a solar sistem too-- there must be not 1 but at least millions of other life forms and not life forms like bacterias or that but millions of civilizations and cultures across the universe, and who know maybe there are civilizations so old and so evolved out there that even know the answers we search for.... and i think thats wha we ppl are looking for more than anything from space, alliens and all those mysterys still to be discovered--- we are looking for answers about who we are ?, are we alone?, whats out there? , and these are just a fraction of the questions that ppl are expcting answers for

At how many new beautifull worlds and mysterys still to be discovered are out there it would be a pitty not to dream of ..
Its in mans nature to seek answers to the secrets of this world and now to the universe

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
My belief in the existence of life outside Earth is based only on the low odds of Earth being the only planet on all star systems of all galaxies who got the chance of having life and had the conditions for it to appear.

PS: good luck.

[edit on 31/8/2006 by ArMaP]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Assuming the universe is infinite, and assuming that life occurs in an only infinitesimal percentage of worlds, then even an infinitesimal percentage, times infinity, equals an infinite number of worlds with life.

That's always been my reasoning for assuming the universe is teaming with life. By extension, the same reasoning can be applied to intelligent life. And hence intelligent life with culture and technology.

If your question is really about whether we on earth are being visited by alien life, then that's a whole 'nother set of reasoning.

My gut feeling, without analyzing it too hard, is that we have been visited in the past, but only occasionally; however there's been nothing going on for the past fifty years or so. (Just my feeling -- not an argument, or even a postulation.) There's a goodly bit of very intriguing evidence floating around, but nothing really slam-dunk convincing. Considering the ubiquity of camcorders and digital cameras these days, coupled with the ability to disseminate, unmolested by the authorities, one's story and/or photographic material over the Internet, I can only wonder at the dearth of truly hard evidence.

That's just me -- and quite honestly, concerning the above paragraph, I hope I'm wrong. What a much better, much more interesting, hell, much more entertaining world it would be if otherwise. We can only hope, and keep on looking.

Baack

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I dont see how someone could not believe in Aliens. My beliefs are deeply rooted in faith of God and Jesus Christ, but even if that was not a factor, look at the history of humanity on this planet. The cave man paintings of flying disks, the Abarigonee (sp) paintings of obvious greys and their ships. The incredible precisness of the pryamids and there amazing construction. Ancient Idnian tribes of north america, the Incas and Mayans possesed detailed maps of the stars and knowledge of space. How did they get this information? The incredible lines of Peru that could only have been carved from above, and of course the credible sightings (not saying that all are credible) of UFO's.
A very convincing event happened in my life a few years ago. My mother is a minister and one of the most honest people you could ever meet. She and my sister were coming home from church one night, and stoped at a red light at an intersection not far from home. We live a rural part of central Florida, kinda in the country, so there was no other traffic on the road. Suddenly a huge UFO, which my mom described as looking like a manta-ray with a very bright belly came flying up and hovered over her car. She says it was there for about 20 seconds, then suddenly zipped off at an incredible speed. This alone is enough to convince me that UFO's are real.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:03 PM
link   
The question of believing if superior intelligent E.T's have visited Earth.

What it comes down to for most people is : "Seeing is believing". Hearing of other people's testimonies - those of normal everyday folk with no previous interest in the subject is enough to convince me. I have heard of two extremely compelling accounts from people I know in this rural Welsh town I live in; which happened back in the 1970's.

Most people choose not to believe this stuff, or even to listen to material that supports the case. Its thinking outside the box. It contradicts their religion or because they have too much trust in their government and only accept what "they are supposed to". They don't see it every day so its not there.

Is there MORE hard evidence to prove that Jesus Christ was the creator of life than there is evidence presented before us that an ET intelligence has visited Earth? So WHY do people have any kind of belief? The reason is because its a choice. ET is becoming a popular choice more today than it ever was because I think this world is strange enough as it is for it to be any big deal. That is the reason I make it my choice. So what?!

We all know its going to take either a world leader to tell us or a mass sighting presented before tv news cameras to make ET a fact of life.

[edit on 31-8-2006 by SwingingMonkey]

[edit on 31-8-2006 by SwingingMonkey]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I believe some "alien abductions" are real. the person was abducted...or brought into a strange place where they couldn't figure out what was going on...but I don't necesserily believe tha it was aliens that abducted them.

Sure I beleive in aliens. I also beleive in ghosts, demons, God, and a whole host of things that are hard to swallow. My issue is more: Will Alines make a diffrence in my life? No, I don't believe that for one second. Most, if not all, are 1. too far away, 2. not intelligent enough, 3. don't believe in us as much as we dont believe in them, 4. they don't care.

Imagine an alien SkepticOverlord. "The chances of bibedal sapience is extremely low. I doubt that you were abducted by a mammal of about 6 ft in height called the browns&creams like you claim because your story has x many faults in it."

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I believe that there is likely alien life out there, and probably here. To me, it's just a numbers thing. There are billions of stars in our galaxy alone. Even if a tiny fraction of those have developed life, you would still have plenty of life suporting planets. The question for me is whether there is intelligent life, and if they have visited or are visiting Earth, which I believe to be the case. To me, Dr Hynek's conversion from skeptical scientist to believer during his time with Project Blue Book is very telling, as his job was to debunk sightings, but after all was said and done, there were too many unexplainable sightings for him not to believe. Granted he may not have had access to ultra top secret information, but as I remember, Project Blue Book did explain some sightings with secret government projects, so he did have access to at least some secret information to help explain the UFO phenomenon. Just to sum it up, I believe ET does exist and that they have probably visted Earth at some point, though the percentage of sightings that are ET is probably 5% or lower. Hope this helps on your paper.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Thats what I like about this place - if you want diverse views you get them. I will work my way through these and try to pull the common themes and off set those against some of the more extreme views circulating both here and on other forums. Hopefully some more people are going to share their views, but to those who all ready have many thanks.

In answer to a couple of queries, it is not about a specific area of alien belief - just alien life as a topic - you are more than welcome to spread your views amongst the differing areas with in this i.e. I believe in alien life, but not lizards etc...

Thanks alot

Q

[edit on 1-9-2006 by Quackmaster]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Alien life "out there"? Oh yes, I believe that with an almost religious fervor. Alien life "here" amongst the teeming masses of humanity? Not so much...

I think the odds are great that there are other forms of life out there in the great beyond that is the Universe. All shapes, all sizes, and various levels of advancement both greater and lesser.

On Earth? The most alien critter we're likely to encounter is our ownselves. Are there unexplained phenomena taking place? Yes, indeed...been there, seen it...but unexplained does not neccessarily equate to alien beings from whereever being here and observing us, and supposedly interacting.

[edit on 1-9-2006 by seagull]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Believer here. Religion to me is rubbish - mass mind control for sheep to bleat on about. But the UFO thing to me, comes from REAL people 'in the know' with solid evidence, solid stories - couple that with motives for the secrecy and you then bring in the military industrial complex / Illuminati / NWO and it all fits together perfectly.

So where does the solid evidence come from? Well, the big one for me is the Disclosure Project - everything to you need to see, read or hear is right there. And have I seen proof of a living, breathing alien? I sincerely think the 'Area 51 - The Alien Interview' film is not a fake. Eyes are the window to the soul and I think it really is a living being on that tape. What creeps me out even more, is that it cross-references itself with the 'South African Roswell' in the Kalahari desert in 1989 - so I feel I have seen something for real with my own eyes that can be historically backed-up with official documentation and plenty of public support (Gemwolf I remember mentions growing up with the incident in the South African media at the time).

Now either, all these people are liars.. all these high-ranking officials are flat-out lying, every single one of them.. or they have some credence. Now there is a lot of evil going on in the world but I also trust people and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt if I have reason to believe they are being genuinely truthful with no reason to lie. My basis for believing in this stuff comes from the wealth of testimony, documentation, pictures, audio.

Now if you look at religion, what proof do you need to believe? Faith by sight and hearing the 'word of god'.. nothing more. To me, this is tenuously vague.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Not saying there isn't something going on. We just don't know what...

I've seen strange things in the sky...and in the ocean...but I quite simply lack anything even resembling information on what they might have been. Planets...really big birds...LochNess monster on holiday...I don't know. To say otherwise is to do myself a diservice and close my mind to what they might actually be.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Yes there certainly is something out there , the question is what?

and is it really beyound our reach?? and why is the guvermen hiding it? is it so shocking?
.... just a few questions to go along

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

What significant factor makes you (personally) believe or disbelieve
in the existence of Alien life.

Well, considering that there are over 100billion starts in our galaxy
alone, and there are hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe,
making up an estimate of about 70sextillion stars in the universe,
I think its totally ignorant to think that out of all those stars none of
them have planets orbiting them that life has developed on.

As for the existance of intelligent life, same argument, but I'd say
only 40% of life bearing planets develop sentient beings.

As for aliens visiting us, well I don't see why it's not posible, even if
they can travel at sub-luminal speeds, if they developed the technology
200 years ago, and there home system is 60LY away, theres no reason
they could be visiting us.
Though I highly doubt more than one species if any actually does visit Earth,
and I doubt that 99% of abduction reports are real.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ok....to answer your question, I believe that ETs exist. Why? This whole universe has stars, and in those stars are even more universes! I mean c'mon to believe there is no life out there is simply ludicrous! I mean anybody who steps down and claims that there is no life and we are the only ones is extremely selfish. Not to mention a little..sort of...well..silly.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Many thanks to all those who have placed there opinions and views here. It is clear that some of you have spent a great deal of time thinking about this subject.

Hopefully I will get a few more opinions and then I shall put a draft paper together and get your feedback based on that.

Cheers,

Q

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I like to think there is most definately life out there.
Rather we call them aliens, or not, it's simply a label, but I do believe in "them".
Why?

There have been pictures shown since the beginning of history, depicting "alien" lifeforms, and out of the ordinary crafts, for that time.
Ontop of this, and the countless pictures and video's we have today, I'd say you'd have to be completely out of your dome if you didn't believe that life outside of ours exsisted.

top topics

join