It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BTS.music: So you think you can rap? Enter the Lysergical Challenge!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 02:49 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   

PODcast: So you think you can rap? Enter the Lysergical Challenge! (reply 6)
Just a few of the rap and RandB productions I have worked on over the years, which I found on this system. Most of the good stuff is on the other system, and not sure when I can get to that or if I ever will. But I did find one for the spanish speaking crew (marg and co.)

The volumes will be a bit up and down on these tracks, because they were each done for different albums and different subgenres.

length: 06:32
file: btsmpod_1920.mp3
size: 6138k
feed:

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:17 PM
link   
true american, sounded good, as for the lyrics, well lets ask dead prez

"And yeah I know it's part of they plans
To make us think it's all about party and dancin
And yo it might sound good when you spittin your rap
But in reality, don't nobody live like that"

that about sums it up

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Not sure what you are saying, grim? Are you saying that you didn't like any of the lyrics in any of the songs in this sampler?

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Not sure what you are saying, grim? Are you saying that you didn't like any of the lyrics in any of the songs in this sampler?

just that it's not much different then the rest of the stuff out there. sure it sounds good, but how many people actually live by "loading clips into my mac 10 on the dresser", not nearly as many as there are making songs about it.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't even know where you are coming from dude on this. I edited together 6 clips from different songs of stuff I have worked on, and out of those, the only one that even comes close to what you are saying is the "Dope Boys" clip. If you are going to dismiss all of those songs to "it just sounds like everyone else" then you obviously didn't listen to all of it. After listening to yours again, and all your gratuitous, stupid swearing just for the sake of being mr. cool- "oh, look at me, I can swear," you fail to make any meaningful case to me that the artists on my sampler just sound like everyone else, or that their lyrics are not worthy. I beg to differ, and frankly, your production values leave a lot to be desired. Learn about what a HOOK is dude. And that very clip, "Dope Boys" should show you.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:03 PM
link   
first song talks about how he wants the finer things.
talks about mansions, armani suits, rearranging ammo to his uzi. now Im sorry but is that how this guy lives?

second song, not a rap song, so Im not talking about this when I said what I said.

third song, now dope boys is pretty much exactly what im saying. If you want to make songs for money, fine, this is the way to go. If your looking to make money, sounding like everyone else is what you want to hear. this song sounds like everything else, so best of luck making money on this one.

fourth song, nice beat. georgia peach. alright song, but wheres the new concept. Again if this is all about the money, then more power to you. Music now doesnt need to be relevent to be sold in millions now anyway. I merely saying if your looking to just make money, fine, if your looking for something thats out of the ordinary, not going in the right direction.

5th song, again not a rap song, so I wasn't talking about this.

6th song isn't english so I have no idea what It may be saying.

I write whatever comes to my head, if its a curse then its a curse. Im not one to watch what I say when I do it, I just write it. Im not about to start rapping about loading clips into an uzi if thats not me though, thats all Im saying. My comment about that was exactly what that meant. I listen to stuff from people who mean what they say. Any guy can talk about shooting a gun, or going to the club, or anything to that extent.

But like i said if your just looking to sell product rather then make something new, your on the right track.

posted on Sep, 27 2006 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Ok then grim, sorry to dissapoint you. I suppose I should go dig out all of the rediculous gangsta rap tunes that had no hooks, had sucky productions, and had at least 100 swear words in them each, with the rappers all out of time. Yikes.
You'd prolly like those.

Just one more reason I dislike most rappers in the first place. Each of you thinks you're the baddest, and makes a point to let that conceit show through, in each other's face. That is so rediculously lame, man. Were not you people taught at home or in school how conceit is a bad thing? Well, I suppose not, seeing as many of these rappers never had a home to speak of or went to school for very long. Each of you won't give another credit for even trying, despite the fact that another's rap may be better, more worked on, have tighter ryhmes, defined hooks, and so on. On the contrary, rappers continually go out of their way to diss, bigtime, anyone remotely close to being a challenge, especially at the local level. It is sickening to watch man.

And I have seen it over and over when I used to live in Atlanta and ran a studio. I have seen fights start between two different rappers trying to show each other up, just over who was the baddest. If that isn't taking music to places it was never intended to go, I don't know what is. I only thank God that I am finally out of there, and in a place where musicians, REAL MUSICIANS, complement each other and offer encouragement and helpful advice to those trying to learn.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Hey! Why didn't anyone 'critique' my rap?
I have some serious aspirations to be the next Missy Elliott!
I've ordered my grill and everything!

Seriously, boys, am I going to have to separate you two? :shk:

[edit on 28-9-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Hey! Why didn't anyone 'critique' my rap?
I have some serious aspirations to be the next Missy Elliott!
I've ordered my grill and everything!

Seriously, boys, am I going to have to separate you two? :shk:

[edit on 28-9-2006 by Benevolent Heretic]

Critique your rap? Why? Everyone said it was fantastic, just like they said about grim's stuff. I didn't start handing out critiques till my stuff "sounded like everyone else's." See, that's how it's done in the rap world, BH. Diss and be dissed. Know what I sayin?

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Jeez, TA, I was just trying to lighten things up a bit. This is not a serious rap contest. This is the Lysergical rap challenge, not some sort of rapper all-stars. I'm just sayin' I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be fun. That's the way I took it anyway. You don't think my entry is a serious rap attempt, do you? It was for fun. Careers aren't going to be made or ruined over this thread.

And 'critique' can be a good thing.
Neither one of you said, "Hey, BH, not bad for a first effort of a 49-year-old white chick stuck in the blues", but you can sure both get into the negative - ragging on each other, which neither one of you deserves!

Maybe I shouldda kept my mouth shut (I wish I had), but I didn't and it's too late now. So, please try to forget I said anything and carry on...

I love you both.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Ok then grim, sorry to dissapoint you. I suppose I should go dig out all of the rediculous gangsta rap tunes that had no hooks, had sucky productions, and had at least 100 swear words in them each, with the rappers all out of time. Yikes.
You'd prolly like those.

yep, tupac dead prez, immortal technique, royce 5'9", big l, etc. I guess they all suck big time. Royce da 5'9" is the only one that comes close to the music you were playing, and I just like his music because of the way he plays words. I like alot of rappers, they just have to have concepts and points to their song, something new. Im sorry if I dont like the same BS wrapped in a new CD wrapping and sold as new.

Just one more reason I dislike most rappers in the first place. Each of you thinks you're the baddest, and makes a point to let that conceit show through, in each other's face. That is so rediculously lame, man. Were not you people taught at home or in school how conceit is a bad thing? Well, I suppose not, seeing as many of these rappers never had a home to speak of or went to school for very long. Each of you won't give another credit for even trying, despite the fact that another's rap may be better, more worked on, have tighter ryhmes, defined hooks, and so on. On the contrary, rappers continually go out of their way to diss, bigtime, anyone remotely close to being a challenge, especially at the local level. It is sickening to watch man.

yep, now where did I say anything about me being good. I consider myself bad, I constantly say how bad my songs were, even if other people were to like them. That song I posted, I dont even like it that much. I say the hook sucks, I disliked the quality, but yea the hook isn't that good because I spent a couple minutes on it at most. And yea the quality will suck since Im using a 15 dollar used computer game microphone, and a bootlegged editing program just so you can hear what Im saying. Im not the best, and there are ALOT of better rappers then me. That doesn't mean Im not going to call BS songs when I hear them.

And I have seen it over and over when I used to live in Atlanta and ran a studio. I have seen fights start between two different rappers trying to show each other up, just over who was the baddest. If that isn't taking music to places it was never intended to go, I don't know what is. I only thank God that I am finally out of there, and in a place where musicians, REAL MUSICIANS, complement each other and offer encouragement and helpful advice to those trying to learn.

My advice was simple, put something new out. A new concept, a new idea. I told you that your stuff sounds generic and you flipped acting like I said my music was anything. I never said anything about my music, because I dont like it that much. You need to reread what I said. I merely called YOUR music how I saw it. Im not saying my music is good or even decent, just that the clips you put up rap wise were boring.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I find it very curious grim that of all the other clips posted, mine was the only one you chose to critique. Now why might that be? Justa wonderin.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I like how no one says anything about my tracks..

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I find it very curious grim that of all the other clips posted, mine was the only one you chose to critique. Now why might that be? Justa wonderin.

honestly because it was the first other clip I checked. Ill be honest, I didnt listen to any of the other ones. I was bored last night, and checked this thread. Saw a new thing up and decided to check it out. happened to be yours.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

After all the praise you got in this thread, you have the nerve to tell BH you didn't even listen to her track? Or the others? I feel ashamed for you grim, and I can only imagine how that must make them feel. In fact, that pisses me off SO much, congrats- you are now my first ignore ever in my 3+ years of being here. Sad piece of crap. Go back to where you came from.
Yeah, go ahead, warn me mods, just like you did mrwupy when he told me I should be killed in a public thread, or hell ban me, I really don't care anymore. Screw this self serving asswipe grimcrapper.

You got showed up by some decent stuff and you know it, grim, that's the only reason you bothered. Sad. But why am I not surprised. It is par for the course with stupid ass rap and its players. Conceited no lifes.

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   

PODcast: So you think you can rap? Enter the Lysergical Challenge! (reply 7)
reply to BH, but it is somewhat late. I wasn't gonna post this, but now I am.

length: 07:52
file: btsmpod_1921.mp3
size: 1850k
feed:

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:39 PM
link   
now had I actually checked the thread between my last post, and when I saw yours, maybe I would have replied to the other ones. between my last post before your post up (TA), and my last post on page three, I had not even bothered to check the thread. Mostly because no one else was responding and it turned into, "hey look at grim rapping thread". To be honest, I don't like people telling me how much they liked it, because that doesn't mean anything for me elevating my raps. Sure you get that "hey I did good" but then it turns into "alright, can I get somebody to tell me what was wrong with it" because i know its no where close to perfect. They want to give me an applause or WATS, thats their choice. But after a page full of my song responses, I left and wasn't planning on coming back.

I got bored and happened to come back on TA's response, that was the one I responded to.

if TA cant see the constructive criticism I gave, which is great flow but you need new concepts or its just boring lyrics, then fine. For the rest of you podcasters who posted, sorry I didnt bother to check in and respond to yours.
(BH salad told me you were singing? Was it rap or singing? lol I decided to check that out just now, not too bad. You should see the asala chimpmunk rap if you haven't already)

[edit on 28-9-2006 by grimreaper797]

posted on Sep, 28 2006 @ 03:53 PM
link   
TA theres a difference between talking in the perspective of an abused child. And saying you are loading an uzi you have never held before. One is promoting violence.

The fact your judging my ENTIRE character, because I said the rappers on your songs sounded fake because they were living a fake life by saying "I live this way" when they don't.

I make one comment that I didnt like your lyrics because they talked about the same old crap as other songs. what is hilarious is you said "constructive criticism" but as soon as I said something, you freak out. Appartently the 10 years has gotten to you. I didnt say the entire thing was bad and they should stop, I said get new concepts. MY PERSONAL OPINION is that the lyrics are the same old stuff I hear on the radio, and Im sick of the radio. MY OPINION. I cant believe that you made a 7+ minute clip complaining about me, because i said I thought your lyrics blew.

Id rather hear a less "talented" rapper, with average flow, and some lyrics with CONTENT, then "dope man" because thats concepts you hear all over the radio for the past so many years.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join