It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new idea for ATS improvements...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Thi sis somewhat OT but magestica- you can start your own thread in the paranormal forum and do you business in that thread. Several people made their own website threads in Interesting Websites.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 03:47 PM
link   
sneakers... a great great movie..

hey, we're getting off of the subject here.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
An excellent idea..

There are certinaly areas where two FSME's would be appropriate.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kukla
There are certinaly areas where two FSME's would be appropriate.

Like one conservative and one liberal sharing duties in the mud pit. I nominate TC and Colonel! (he he he he he)

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 04:12 PM
link   
That would certainly setup some interesting scenarios. I could see all sorts of mischief brewing between the two.

The mud pit is anomalous creature..I think the intent would be better served without any editorial authority.

Another thought, I would consider keeping the ballots closed. This type of survey could turn into a popularity contest that wouldn�t suit the best interest of the board�IMHO.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I would have to agree with alot of the comments and suggestions here but one that struck me as quite meaningful was by kukla:
"There are certinaly areas where two FSME's would be appropriate"

With this case, two people or 2 FSME's to a forum, they could give to perspectives, two bias's, also....two heads are better than one. Granted, as kukla has mentioned also, the chance of two playing at odds or with posters paints a bad situation(s). I would think this would not happen being that both would be picked for their 'neutral' approachs.....just a/some thought(s).

I'm still a little behind the curve on all with all this but seems like a worthy idea that William has brought forth (and others).

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Excellent idea, it would really give guidance to a lot of boards. I envision an ATS, an ATS where all threads have the relevancy and quality of the research forum or debate. I envision...Magic!

It would seem like a demanding job. What would the level of cooperation between the mods and these new ones be like? Like fingers, seperate and turning into a fist when it needs to?

Yes I paraphrsed that from frederick douglass

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This sounds like a good idea.

Having a respected poster in each forum to try and keep the posting on track, and at a quality standard.

Since the FSME'S are being given a certain level of responsibility, IMO they should either have access to Cosmic.

Either that, or a new (FSME forum) should be created just for them, so they have a forum were they can meet and discuss there roles, and the tasks they have been assighned.

elevatedone.

"Cosmic" is the moderators forum, only mods and admin have access.

[Edited on 3-11-2003 by quaneeri]

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
For the 'aircraft projects' forum and to the 'war on terror' forum.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM
For the 'aircraft projects' forum and to the 'war on terror' forum.

So... lemme make sure I've got this straight... you are for the concept of Forum Subject Matter Experts... riight?

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea. On the survey i said a new forum should be about pizza, so if it becomes a forum i would like to create interesting disscussion in the forum. I do not think a pizza forum will be created but i can always hope.

William how is the voting going to happen?

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:05 PM
link   
"It's the job of FSME's to help guide interesting topics in their forums, answer topical questions from newbies, and overall make an effort to help maintain content quality."

This is what i do here anyways?

So why not to get a fancy member status for it.

And yeah,

William.. your plan seems good and sound.

I do think that the idea is good.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Are these tasks...

peer nominations?

or

self nominations.

for any particular forum?

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by William
After reading through some of the excellent suggestions we received in our surveys, I'm going to bring public an idea that may address the feeling of several suggestions in one fell-swoop.

Forum Subject Matter Experts

FSME's are members (or moderators) who have been hand picked by all of us (members and staff) for their exemplary history of knowledge on a particular subject area associated with a topical forum on ATS.

Here's how it might work as an example for the topical forums.

An FSME would be designated for each topical forum. Some busy forums might have two FSME's, some slower forums might share one qualified FSME. Anyone qualifies, from new members able to show their expertise, to old crusty moderators. It's the job of FSME's to help guide interesting topics in their forums, answer topical questions from newbies, and overall make an effort to help maintain content quality.

One of the first tasks an FSME might do is look through the history of a forum, and create a toped thread that has links to old threads and posts that help give a bird's-eye-view of the forum's topic.

In reality, an FSME is somewhere between member and moderator.... but different. Where moderators work to maintain civility and decorum, FSME's work to maintain quality and relevance.

okay... what's next?

Let's make sure this idea is workable... discuss... add your comments.

comments?

Sounds like being a "Team Leader" to me, which usually means the boss is looking for a schmuck to take on more resposibility with have none of the "managerial" powers, for the same pay.

Good luck with that...I know of plenty of people here already salivating like dogs at the thought of having "FSME Moderator" above their avatars.

Authority is an illusion in the mind of govenors - Lao Tse

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Experts are all well and good, but you know what really need? We need a LMAH assigned to each forum category. LMAH stands for Layman Asshole. We need someone who knows really only the basics about a subject to go in and argue every damned point. This is for two reasons:

1. Knowing someone who doesn't know much will be asking everything will keep the experts in line, they know this person won't take any information for granted.

2. It'll save the reputation of most of our members, they won't have to ask the stupid questions and make the stupid points. Better one idiot than three. (Sidenote: thats the theory behind a dictatorship)

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think this is a wonderful idea and will greatly enhance the forums.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voice_of DoomSounds like being a "Team Leader" to me...

Yup, hit the nail on the head there doomer.

You'd think with 28 staff members, we could help each and every thread stay on track on on topic.

Oh but wait... only about half of the staff actually make it online every day (on average). And sometimes, those are quickie hit-and-run types of access... so maybe only 10 mods actually have real quality time to spend on ATS. And we've been average nearly 1,400 posts a day for the past month (some days over 1,700). So on busy days, those poor mods would need to read 170 posts to really make a difference.

We're simply too busy to rely on current staff (alone) as a way to help maintain forum quality. So, we're asking members to help.

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   
good idea william..... i think its gonna work well

posted on Nov, 3 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
maybe some cool ATS HATS ,T-SHIRTS,BUMPERSTICKERS

posted on Nov, 4 2003 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Seems like a great idea to bring out the quality of th e boards....but like doom I agree there are quite a few just lookin for the power or the title. Maybe like do a trial run ona few select boards for a limited time and see how it works....just a suggestion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join