It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can you be sure [Insert Religion here] is the true religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Well.. title says it all.

How can you muslims, christians, shintoists (spelling?), jews and so forth be so sure you religion is the one and only? If any is the one and only..

I seems that especially christians and muslims are the most arrogant about their religion, how come? (Christians especially)

Love, Jugg.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jugg
It seems that especially christians and muslims are the most arrogant about their religion, how come? (Christians especially)

[sarcasm] because they are right and you are wrong did'nt you know ??? [/sarcasm]

Religion breeds ego so if you have a belief then it must be right (because no one would follow the "wrong" religion - right?) and everyone else must be wrong.

That is why I do not follow a religion.....no one is going to force feed me anything.

[edit on 30-8-2006 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 02:44 PM
link   
No reason at all. Im christian and the arrogance is just another blemish on the religion. Buddhism is the true religion for buddhists,same for christians,catholics,etc etc. Everyone has their own reasons/beliefs why,but the big mistake many ppl make is pushing/forcing thier beliefs on others. And saying "blank is the true religion,and blank is the true god".

It seems that no one has respect for other people's beliefs/opinions anymore. Its either my religion or you burn in hell,which is stupid.What ever religion a person believes in,or doesnt is that person's own business. I dont go around telling others how their religion is fake/evil/,or how they are sinning. Their beliefs have nothing to do with me,i just wish many others felt the same way. Especially those in gov't currently.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jugg
I seems that especially christians and muslims are the most arrogant about their religion, how come? (Christians especially)

I'm sure that some act this way, but be careful that you aren't confusing it for complete assurance.

As far as how we know, because God confirms it at salvation. Something starts growing then that gets stronger over time.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Humanism, Marxism, Athiesm etc are relativley new ideas. Pity that most came out of a religious textbook (the Talmud and other texts) and now we have so-called atheists running around thinking "Atomism" is the new religion.

People laugh at religious people for usually only believing in what someone of the exact same faith says about a similar experience. Yet, now we turn and take a close look at the so-called scientifically minded person and find that they tend to believe blindly in whatever another a scientist says. Let us assume for the moment that at least most religious people can agree that God is good. Well, according to scientisits, vitamin E is good today and bad tomorrow, and then good again next week! It's almost no wonder people still choose religion beause at least they can all agree some one major area.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The few always ruin everything for the many.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinosamitna
Humanism, Marxism, Athiesm etc are relativley new ideas. Pity that most came out of a religious textbook (the Talmud and other texts) and now we have so-called atheists running around thinking "Atomism" is the new religion.

People laugh at religious people for usually only believing in what someone of the exact same faith says about a similar experience. Yet, now we turn and take a close look at the so-called scientifically minded person and find that they tend to believe blindly in whatever another a scientist says. Let us assume for the moment that at least most religious people can agree that God is good. Well, according to scientisits, vitamin E is good today and bad tomorrow, and then good again next week! It's almost no wonder people still choose religion beause at least they can all agree some one major area.

If you are a scientifically minded person you dont believe blindly in any one. No matter if he's a rocket scientist or not

We have to see evidence, testable evidence to conclude anything.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I think it is primarily the enviornment one is raised in rather than the particular religion itself.

The more someone is immersed in a religion by their family, friends, school, even country, religion becomes less of a "system of beliefs" and more a "fact of life".
The two become indistinguishable when religious diversity is not a factor.

After all, if "everyone" is agreeing with you, why would you begin to think you're wrong?

Edit:Spelling error.

[edit on 8/31/2006 by Pink_Cola]

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   

If you are a scientifically minded person you dont believe blindly in any one. No matter if he's a rocket scientist or not

We have to see evidence, testable evidence to conclude anything.

That's true. Now here we have a rather interesting problem. They are working in matter, using material equipment trying to find out something that was previously unseen or unknown. As far as science is concerned something cannot exist until proven through material methods. The ancients obviously knew more than this as they built 3-D maps in stone to chart the cosmos in relation to its effects in man. Present day science is based on 2-D maps and is completely physical and has only the outward quality - man is seen as being completely removed or seperated from the cosmos. Instead of solving the "riddle of man", they would much rather find a way to fit man into some construct of their own imaginations based upon material test results.

Of cource as the methods and technology improve; it is all held upon the vision of the scientific minded to pave the way into new discovery. Even so, scientists can never completely forgo the idea that as they go deeper out into space the more probable there are 'some' things still unknown, which means that there is also a much higher probability that those 'unknown things' are responsible for creating the things which we do know, or see now.

Besides, ghost-writing and other bad methods which rarely which public scrutiny, the followers of modern science do not worship the man - true - but they do often tend to blindly worship his results! Consider Darwin's theory (once praised) is falling apart and scientists still cannot quite figure out what to put in it's place. The deep hole is not filled by material sciences alone because just as soon as its filled a space, it's already proven inadequate to satisfy the human condition; for it rarely takes into account the forces whcih connect man to the universe as a microcosm and macrocosm.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
All other worldviews contradict themselves from the start.

Eastern religions claim that all is an illusion yet in order for one to make that claim they must know what reality is, hence the only illusion is the one they create.

Atheism, evolutionists (empiricism) claim that only by empirical methods can one know anything. There is no God, no supernatural, nothing metaphysical. All things can be accounted for by science/evidence. Yet this worldview, along with all others, cannot account for how a blank mind gains knowledge by way of observation. Knowledge cannot come from observation.

How long does a blank mind need to stare at a tree before it KNOWS it's a tree? What if the empiricist reaches out to touch the tree? Can he, by way of touch, gain knowledge? What if he smells the tree? BY way of smell can he gain knowledge about the tree? What if he sees, tastes or hears the tree? Can he gain knowledge of the tree by these other senses? All of his senses could not give him knowledge for without first having knowledge he would have no idea, no clue, what "touch" was, or smell, taste, sound nor sight. He would have no sense of depth perception as to how far the tree was from him. He would know nothing, sense nothing if he had to first observe in order to gain knowledge.

Perhaps knowledge evolved? How many early pre-human mammal "infants" had to die before they learned to nurse from their mothers breast? Yet before that can be answered, how many mothers KNEW to nurse their infants must be asked and answered. If we evolved and the first infant to nurse on a breast died because it didn't know what a nipple was or where to find the breast, evolution for that species would end for how could it continue on?

Perhaps the infant learned this from watching others? Well who would it watch? Perhaps the mother learned from observation? Yet we already know that observation cannot bring about knowledge. One must first have KNOWLEDGE to KNOW they are observing! Where then does this knowledge come from? It can't evolve.

How is it that a bird can fly and yet learns it from no one? Flight is innate. An eagle just flies, no one teaches it to fly nor does it observe flight and then learns. It is born with the ability to fly. An infant is born with an innante knowledge to take to its mothers breast. Where does this come from? The empirical worldview demands evidence yet cannot account for how it KNOWS this word, hence their worldview crumbles and becomes nonsense.

All worldviews must use Biblical principals, even when seeking to discount God and His Word. Therefore Christianity is the only worldview that does not contradict itself. All others are in error.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnrealZA
All worldviews must use Biblical principals, even when seeking to discount God and His Word. Therefore Christianity is the only worldview that does not contradict itself. All others are in error.

That quote says it all....egotistical religious arrogance !!!

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnrealZA
All other worldviews contradict themselves from the start.

Eastern religions claim that all is an illusion yet in order for one to make that claim they must know what reality is, hence the only illusion is the one they create.

Atheism, evolutionists (empiricism) claim that only by empirical methods can one know anything. There is no God, no supernatural, nothing metaphysical. All things can be accounted for by science/evidence. Yet this worldview, along with all others, cannot account for how a blank mind gains knowledge by way of observation. Knowledge cannot come from observation.

Knowledge comes from all manner of places not just one place alltogether. And yes knowledge CAN come from observation (how much knowledge? - well thats a different story).
Where did you get the notion that ALL worldviews must use biblical principals when there are a few worldviews that predate the bible and all who sailed in her?
Christianity is not even 2000 years old although its basic principals have been around much longer and stolen from other worldviews.

G

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
How can you be sure about [ insert whatever you want here ].

It's all degrees of probability. You can't be "sure" you won't be killed the moment you leave your house, but you risk your life daily (unless you're agoraphobic) and go out.

It's all about "maybe". Maybe this maybe that. We pick something that makes sense and go with it, all along convincing ourselves (sometimes) we're "sure".

I'm "sure" (meaning "maybe" to a high degree of confidence) of all manner of things I can't empirically prove. I can be "sure" for me, but I can't be "sure" for you. Some things just need to be figured out individually. And to attempt to convince someone else that your "sure" should be their "sure" is an excercise in futility.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   

How Can you be sure your religion is the right religion?

To quote my religious figure.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Everybodies religion is right, if its what they find, intheyre heart, to be true. There are many roads leading to the great path. The roads we all walk down which all share golden rules of virtue and life.

There is no wrong religion, if you believe your religion to be true.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar

There is no wrong religion, if you believe your religion to be true.

Sure there is.

Proverbs 16:25 There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   
So according to your religion there is only right religion.

According to global consensus, there is no wrong religion.

Different things. What a religion says, and what is true to peoples hearts, are two different things.

Religion is an intangible gray area of belief. It either works for you or doesnt. There is no fact, not black and white, in religions. Theres no way anybody can honestly say that Hinduism is a wrong religion, and back it up with anything more then belief.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
So according to your religion there is only right religion.

According to global consensus, there is no wrong religion.

According to the Christian God their is only one right way to get back to Him.

As far as global consensus that all paths are right. Not true. There are quite a number of muslims that are willing to kill unbelievers of allah, because they are convinced that Islam is the only way.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
When I say YOUR religion, I'm speaking not to your personally. I'm talking about the perspectives of people.

To YOU, a person, your religion is the right, and only right religion.

But when you back it up, to look at the general views of 6.2 billion people, all of whom have different religious beliefs, all whom feel they are right, well, globally, there is no right religion. There are many, all of whom believe without a doubt in theyre mind that it is right, many of whom feel theres is the ONLY right one.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Its in your heart open it.

When you find it let be sacred. I never picked up a book when I started my search only read them after to verify my feelings.

What did the first men do when they searched for God? What was in them to make them search? How did they find it? Only way to be true and just is open your heart and see what you find. Amazing it is what a million others found.

posted on Sep, 4 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonite
Its in your heart open it.

When you find it let be sacred. I never picked up a book when I started my search only read them after to verify my feelings.

What did the first men do when they searched for God? What was in them to make them search? How did they find it? Only way to be true and just is open your heart and see what you find. Amazing it is what a million others found.

Sorry but there is no religous B$ in my heart and never will be.
Can you explain a bit about never picking up books/bibles? Are you saying you knew nothing of gods/religion and then decided a religion was for you and stated to research it?
The first men who looked for god ( which god i'm not sure) found nothing. And your millions of others who 'found' god didnt really. Religion is mostly based on heredity and geographical location and not with people searching for it.

G

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join