Who has suffered the most in the world?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:44 AM
link   
As I was dealing with another thread, a thought came to me. How would you all rank who has suffered the most in history, politics and society? Which group do you think has endured the worst treatment of all citizens of the earth? What is your top five "suffering" groups of people in your opinion?

I would like people to chime in and give me their thoughts about this. This could be rather thought-provoking and interesting because it does give us a chance to think about how we feel about others who have suffered from oppressive situation in the world throughout time.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Interesting topic! I'm going to post off-the-cuff here. Here we go and in no order:

Jews under Germans(Nazis)
Chinese under Japan (Nanking)
Cambodians under Pol Pot
American Indians under U.S. Gov't
North Korean People under their own Gov't

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Thank you, Katolu for answering. I'd agree with your choice because during those circumstances each segment of the population suffered under their regimes immensely. I would be hard pressed to disagree with you. Especially with the American Indians. Out of all others, they have indeed experienced one of these worst acts of human genocide and suffering a country could dole out to its citizens. And yes, Jews under Nazi Germany do exist right next to them as well.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Thanks, Ceci. While the first four groups I mentioned are well documented in the suffering they endured, I fear we may never really know the suffering of the North Korean people. We know they are a starving people, but to what degree?

Reflecting on my choices, I'd have to add any number of African nations ruled by warlords that are starving their people as well. Just want to keep the list to five.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Thank you bringing up the point about African Warlords. The genocide in Darfur is especially indicative of suffering and inhumanity. I think that it would be included within the list if it were stretched to ten. The people who suffer under their hands, have done so horribly. The numbers that have died are still beyond counting. I think it ranks in the hundred-thousands or millions.

I'll probably develop a list of my own in the coming days. I am very appreciative of your candor relating to this issue.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hmmm... this sounds like a good idea, but I fear it is an endless list. The five mentioned above are certainly good candidates. But I came up with these others, just off the top of my head:

The Armenian massacre by the Turks
The millions of Russians killed in the Stalin era. Don't know the exact number, but I believe it outpaced the Holocaust.
The Ugandans under Amin
The Palestinians under the Israelis
The people of multiple South American countries during the 70's and 80's
The lowest economic class in the US, ground under for decades
The various groups conquered by the Romans
The people on the receiving end of the Crusades and the Inquisition
The 'witches' in the US in the 1600s
Black slaves in the Americas, North and South

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Open-Minded Skeptic, that is truly a fair list that you have written. There is nothing that I would disagree with you on the list. As I told Katolu, I am still trying to generate my list and thinking about it. But, I would like to see what others would say first because it is really interesting to see how people would rank the list in terms of history and society.

Thank you so much for participating. We'll see if others will add on to the list with their rankings.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I believe that the group of people that had been targeted the most when it comes to racial profiling is the African population.

Millions of Africans has die in the last 10 years alone due to the lack of world involvement.

It seems that all nations had turned a blind eye to the struggles in Africa.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Yes, marg, they unbelievably have turned a blind eye to the suffering of Africans. And especially when disease, famine and war rip apart their lands. No one wants to do anything about the problem except watch them die. And I think it is deplorable that people don't care about this continent and its people more than any other.

Personally, I believe that Africans are probably one of the top first three sufferers in my list so far because historically, they have been scorned, objectified, enslaved, lynched, conquered, killed, lost dignity and property, and has been legally segregated from the rest of the population for no good reason except for the whims of government.

The same could be said for Native Americans and Jewish people as well.

[edit on 31-8-2006 by ceci2006]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 10:48 PM
link   
If you take Mel Gibson's movie ThePassion of Christ
as a fact, then Jesus suffered the most.

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Are you wanting specific events, or people in general who have suffered?

Il just use races/ethnicities/religions in general.

Jews - they have been the scapegoat for many through out their existance, no one has been treated more unfairly throughout history as Jews.

Africans - the entire continent was a tribal wasteland through out a period when the world was advancing, and still to this day millions die and no one cares.

Russians - through their own hands, they have lost more blood then any one in the last few hundred years. No one has suffered like the Russians, they in my mind tie with Africa, millions died in WW2 and millions more died by Stalin. to this day they suffer from poverty, disease, corruption and no one cares because they where once a superpower.

Native Americans - a culture and an identity wiped out by invading immigrants.

All European identities destroyed by the Catholic Church. Many cultures and religions died when the Catholics destroyed them. For the sake of God of course.

Arabs - They had their culture and their way of life stepped on after WW2, they have been exploited to no end.

Kurds - another group that will never have their homeland because it does not fit the needs of the Western agenda.

Egypt - their culture raped and pillaged by foriegners who sold off some of our species earliest arts, Egypt lost alot of it's antiquites and has gained nothing from it, it remains poor and starving.

Many more I could add to the list. It is not just a calculation of death tolls, but who really suffered, when culture is stollen from them, when their people are sold off, when another country comes in and rapes the resources and leaves the land poor and dry. Many people have suffered, some not as much as others and how we judge them depends on how much attention is given to it.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Africans.

Imagine being born into a sudanese slum?
no food, no water, disease, bugs, death and decay all around, factions at war...

yet... on the same rock we call earth, just ont he other side, people are living in lavish mansions, eating whole hogs, throwing down there endless supply of drinks... while swimming pools..

The worst kind of suffering is the suffering existing to an impovished nation, knowing full well there are other humans whom have the ability to end all your unfortunate suffering, but simply dont care, or cant be bothered.

Being exterminated as a race, atleast you know its over.. you dont have to watch people suffer, friends die. as soon as ur light is put out, thats it.

But when you wake up every morning of your life, drink brown filthy water, eat rotten rice cakes, and live in a makeshift tin/wood leantoo hut... knowing tommrow, next week and next year it will be the same only because humans are selfish?.

thats the worts kind of suffering.

In a world where the government can send a missle the size of a VW bug into a house thousand of miles away via computer... tells me theres no excuse as to why that poor 2yr old child cant learn there abc's and eat an apple.

human civilisation is appauling.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
i'd have to say Africans too. Without a doubt. The suffering of the Palestinians and the Jews, pales in comparison to the suffering of the people of Africa.

There NEVER seems to be a let up in that continent. As to what has caused that, i would have to say its a combination of corrupt African leaders and a very, very unfair trade policy

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Well in HISTORY I would add Jews, Russians, Native Americans, Chinese...etc...But, there are things going on right now, and nobody cares. Africa of course seems to be the worst, but there are other place in Asia for example, like Indonesia. Sudan, Rwanda, Uganda...Nobody really cares about them.

I remember a scene from Hotel Rwanda which said, people in America(and other rich countries) will say "that is sad" when shown the genocide, and then go back to eating dinner. I am, and I think basically everyone who posted, is guilty of this...but that is just how our lives are. We don't have time to care.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I agree, RR..

Its not the general populations FAULT that it is happening...
out of site, out of mind.

But doesnt that make it worse?

If I was in sudan, living in my tin shed squaller, i would be disheartend knowing the sheer size, and the level of poverty and illtreatment going on isnt even considered for more than 10 seconds in the countries that have the ability to help.

True, we give them a lot of money in aid.

But imagine if the IRAQ war had never have happened..
that money was purely sent to end world poverty.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:52 AM
link   
It is too difficult to accurately determine which people have suffered the most considering that our recorded history is very brief. It also depends upon ones belief in what is considered as suffering. Is quick death by bullet, hanging, or sword comparable to the suffering of dying from hunger or thirst, by torture, etc.??

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I sometimes think, what if I was born in another body...another world...It is so easy for me to have been born in Sudan, yet I wasn't, I was born in a pretty wealthy family in the United States.

It is amazing how much different in the way I would be thinking now, my priorites...etc...And that is scary.

posted on Aug, 31 2006 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I appreciate the sentiment of this thread, but we should by now realize that we're all in this together. One human is the same as the next. Making distinctions wont help or solve anything.

All these injustices throughout history are injustices to all. It doesnt make a difference who is doing the oppressing, it's all deplorable. If we categorize these attrocities we lessen their impact on ourselves. If we take every persecution and act of barbarism as an attack on our own kind, the human race, we might just get mad enough - eventually - to do something meaningful about it.

I'm not claiming to have the answers to solving the problems of these horrible acts, but I honestly find every evil act mentioned here (and those like it) an afront to my own humanity. It infuriates me as much as it would an attack in my own neighbourhood.

Touch one, touch all.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I agree, subz, very much so. But I would also like to add that even though we all feel that these acts of suffering should be an affront, I believe that some groups get more of our attention than others. And that is why the ranking is more important.

I would love to know who deserves more sympathy that other groups because it happens in cultural and social politics all the time that there is always one group that is getting more compassion than others.

Do we let our biases in the way when we feel sorry for one group over the other?

I think that is also as important as the rankings. That is why I am still trying to work on my list of top sufferers.

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   
~L~

#1: followers of religion: they each get a turn being the pariah & the focus of hate/scorn/inhumanity by the other prevailing (& conflicting) religion at that era,
or even being the object of 'punishments' by their own Creator, G0d or Hashem.

#2: people whose diet is mainly meat, and who group together in societies cultures & economies which are reliant and almost religiously focused in the animal sacrifice & meat consumption lifestyle.

#3: any person who is 'different' or disfigured, mutated, disabled, diseased, etc.

later down the list will come the generally accepted & recognized groups;
which may be ethnic or race or religious based prejudices/biases/progroms...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join