It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky crash air control under staffed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   

The only air traffic controller on duty when a plane crashed in Kentucky on Sunday, killing 49 people, had his back turned at the time, investigators said.

source

seems more info is comeing out about this crash and the **#% is starting to fly in all directions. makes a change from it only being blamed on the pilot though

[edit on 30-8-2006 by solidshot]

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Did someone not say that it was normal to have only one controller in an airport of that size at that time?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
Did someone not say that it was normal to have only one controller in an airport of that size at that time?

according to the bbc story the FAA broke it's own rule by only haveing one controler on duty at the time?

posted on Aug, 30 2006 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Here's a quote from the other thread that sums up what seems to have happened. snafu also mentions that there is normally one ATC on that shift.

Originally posted by snafu7700

youre both right and wrong. during the time of this incident, there was only one controller in the tower, which is a normal procedure for midnight shifts. he was working all positions: local, ground, and data. if he cleared them to runway 26 then he is partially at fault. but i'll bet you a weeks salary that he cleared them to runway 22. wait for the tapes. it will sound something like this:

"comair 5191, taxi to runway 22, cross runway 26."

"roger, taxi to runway 22, cross runway 26."

"tower, comair 5191 ready for departure."

"roger, comair 5191 runway 22, wind two five zero at 5, cleared for takeoff."

"roger, cleared for takeoff."

probably not exactly that, but pretty darn close. again, i think the pilot was in a hurry, saw runway 26, didnt take the time to verify where he was, and departed. the controller, being the only guy in the tower at the time, probably read the clearance and went on to other duties. now, he is supposed to keep his eyes out the windows at all times, and will probably be partially at fault for not catching the pilots mistake (and i wouldnt want to be the guy to have to live with the knowledge that i could have saved the day), but in the end, the pilot has sole responsibility for the safety of the aircraft, as per federal aviation regulations. unless there is a mitigating circumstance that they arent reporting, its a pretty clear cut case of pilot error.

edit to correct callsign.

[edit on 28-8-2006 by snafu7700]

new topics

top topics

join